Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iowa, Nebraska are possibilities for Big Ten hockey: Startribune.com

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    I am an Iowa Football season ticket holder and am somewhat connected to some things behind the scenes, but I’ll be shocked if Iowa adds hockey anytime soon.

The cost to add a women’s program is a legit concern, among others, and Iowa already is picky with their varsity sports. The donors are in the football program, wrestling program, and basketball program, like many schools.

A $7-8MM annual expense doesn’t come easy.

The arena in Coralville, which Iowa Volleyball will call home and is looking for an ECHL or USHL tenant, is off campus and will allow alcohol sales.

I think Iowans in the Iowa City and Cedar Rapids area would support the men’s team pretty well from the get go — getting them to be competitive with little to no in state HS recruiting is a hurdle, however the USHL is prominent in Iowa, which would help mitigate that some.
    Great points but are buddy Larry said this was happening 15 years ago. Moreover, Iowa and Illinois will recruit Minnesotans which is great for the kids in the state of hockey.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
      I am an Iowa Football season ticket holder and am somewhat connected to some things behind the scenes, but I’ll be shocked if Iowa adds hockey anytime soon.

The cost to add a women’s program is a legit concern, among others, and Iowa already is picky with their varsity sports. The donors are in the football program, wrestling program, and basketball program, like many schools.
      But, you do not have to add women's hockey. All you have to to to comply with Title IX is add enough women's scholarships and roster spots to keep you at the percentage of your student population. Yes, adding women's hockey is the easiest way to do that, but you could also add different women's sport.
      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
        Great points but are buddy Larry said this was happening 15 years ago. Moreover, Iowa and Illinois will recruit Minnesotans which is great for the kids in the state of hockey.
        I get your proximity statement, but recruits will come from everywhere, including Canada and Europe. Even Northern Michigan has had European players in the past.
        “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
        – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
        when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
          But, you do not have to add women's hockey. All you have to to to comply with Title IX is add enough women's scholarships and roster spots to keep you at the percentage of your student population. Yes, adding women's hockey is the easiest way to do that, but you could also add different women's sport.
          Hey the wwcha desperately needs an 8th team. If the facility is there, get a team together and just do it. I'm sure some rich alumni can finance the thing. It's really pathetic that with all the money sue players have made over the last 10 years in the nhl they didn't toss some money back to the U and save the women's program.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
            The easiest way is adding the scholarships to either women's crew, or cross country/track, both of which are very cheap compared with hockey.
            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

If Iowa and/or Nebraska add teams it’s great for D1 hockey I guess but for this fan? Yawn. Every season I watch or listen to b10 hockey is another year removed from a revered conference with real rivals like Denver, Nodak, CC, Duluth. Between this **** conference and Wisconsin laying eggs i’m About ready to just move on from men’s NCAA hockey.
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
                ...A lot of people speculated Iowa Is looking at D1 hockey though...
                Sorry but I can't hold my breath on this. It's already being held waiting for Illinois to make its perpetually imminent announcement.
                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                  If Iowa and/or Nebraska add teams it’s great for D1 hockey I guess but for this fan? Yawn. Every season I watch or listen to b10 hockey is another year removed from a revered conference with real rivals like Denver, Nodak, CC, Duluth. Between this **** conference and Wisconsin laying eggs i’m About ready to just move on from men’s NCAA hockey.
                  Well bye then. Even from 7,000 miles away with a few games online I've witness plenty of compelling BTHC games. You realize that the UW and UM had UMi and MSU as conference rivals in the past right? And when they did the rivalries were every bit as good as whatever there was in the WCHA? Also the BTHC doesn't have Anchorage, Bemidji, Michigan Tech (a one time member), etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Well bye then. Even from 7,000 miles away with a few games online I've witness plenty of compelling BTHC games. You realize that the UW and UM had UMi and MSU as conference rivals in the past right? And when they did the rivalries were every bit as good as whatever there was in the WCHA? Also the BTHC doesn't have Anchorage, Bemidji, Michigan Tech (a one time member), etc.
                    I don’t hear any of the old timers talk about Michigan or MSU as a rival. I’ve never heard that. Even the 70’s players don’t mention a big 10 or rivals outside Minnesota, Nodak, Denver et al. That was a mythical championship as I recall as well. Michigan Tech was a big rival in the 70’s.
                    I’ll Agree to disagree, I just don’t care about tosu, MSU, ped state etc.
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I don’t know what to tell you, man.

If Denver and UMD and Tech are the teams you’re interested in, then follow those teams.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by devildog View Post
                        I get your proximity statement, but recruits will come from everywhere, including Canada and Europe. Even Northern Michigan has had European players in the past.
                        Of course but there will be more opportunity for Minnesota kids playing D1 hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          Hey the wwcha desperately needs an 8th team. If the facility is there, get a team together and just do it. I'm sure some rich alumni can finance the thing. It's really pathetic that with all the money sue players have made over the last 10 years in the nhl they didn't toss some money back to the U and save the women's program.
                          Well, St. Thomas has said all their sports will be moving to D1 and this includes hockey. I wouldn't be suprised if the Tommies are in the WCHA or whatever the league will be called.

Comment

I don’t hear any of the old timers talk about Michigan or MSU as a rival. I’ve never heard that. Even the 70’s players don’t mention a big 10 or rivals outside Minnesota, Nodak, Denver et al. That was a mythical championship as I recall as well. Michigan Tech was a big rival in the 70’s.
                            Michigan and Minnesota did have a solid WCHA rivalry.

Comment

I understand what you are saying but we all know the old WCHA is never coming back. IMO, I love seeing new schools add the game of ice hockey because it means more Minnesotans will be recruited to their top quality Big Ten school.

Comment

Not sure I qualify as an old timer (I was very young/watching the replays on PBS); but, I'd say Michigan and Michigan St were as big of rivals as Denver, CC, Duluth and Tech, if not bigger. Gophers and Sioux are 1,2...but after that, Michigan and Sparty are right there.

I miss the WCHA and the final 5 tournament too - the geography and easy travel made it great. But, that's gone. And I think many of the fans/graduates from the late 80's and 90's forget or don't realize how big the other rivalries were, because if they weren't watching as kids, they missed out on those conference games before they left to go to the CCHA. Even then, there was the showcase where Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Michigan St were playing each other every year (with locations rotating).

Comment

Working...
                                X