• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa, Nebraska are possibilities for Big Ten hockey: Startribune.com

Iowa, Nebraska are possibilities for Big Ten hockey

Pioneer Press

First of Three Part Series
    Last edited by 4four4; 07-06-2019, 11:58 PM.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Re: Iowa, Nebraska are possibilities for Big Ten hockey: Startribune.com

Kind of overstating the likelihood in Lincoln.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

What a non-starter. Both schools *could* potentially add hockey but no-one is talking about it seriously and Omaha would raise holy hell if Lincoln got a team.

Maybe the B10 should first figure out their massive attendance problems at UW and Minnesota before thinking about adding teams no-one would care about outside of those campuses.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I read these last week and know the author well. The headline attached by the Strib is very misleading. This was actually the third of the series titled, “Big Ten Hockey, Part 3: Which school is next to join?
        Last edited by davyd83; 07-03-2019, 05:23 PM.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Let us know when they get a donor to endow $100 million for a program. Until then, it's all bunk.

Comment

Don’t think you’d need 100 million at a school with a usable rink.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
              ...Omaha would raise holy hell if Lincoln got a team...
              Why? Wouldn't UNO-UNL become an instant rivalry that would work for both programs? Take a look at the Greater Boston area: Four D1 teams within a six-mile radius (five and an extra mile or so if you want to include Bentley). The respective fan bases may loathe and despise one another but the net effect is to raise hockey consciousness all around. What would be so different in Eastern Nebraska?
              Last edited by Split-N; 07-04-2019, 08:26 AM.
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                Why? Wouldn't UNO-UNL become an instant rivalry that would work for both programs? Take a look at the Greater Boston area: Four D1 teams within a six-mile radius (five and an extra mile or so if you want to include Bentley). The respective fan bases may loathe and despise one another but the net effect is to raise hockey consciousness all around. What would be so different in Eastern Nebraska?
                One, Boston is a vastly larger market than Omaha and/or Lincoln. Two, Omaha is a very loyal University of Nebraska area is most aspects.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I don’t know what UNO could actually _do_ about it if Nebraska wanted a program.

Comment

The whole Iowa thing is a joke. Yes, they built a new arena. Know where the hockey team was playing before? A shopping mall. And not a really great shopping mall, to boot. No one cares about hockey down there. It's football and wrestling.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                      The whole Iowa thing is a joke.
                      There are 5 USHL teams in Iowa and another in Omaha on the IA/NE border. I have NO idea if that would translate to hockey in Iowa City, but the USHL wouldn't be there if there wasn't interest in the state.
                      Last edited by MadCityRich; 07-04-2019, 11:26 AM.
                      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

The whole Iowa thing is a joke. Yes, they built a new arena. Know where the hockey team was playing before? A shopping mall. And not a really great shopping mall, to boot. No one cares about hockey down there. It's football and wrestling.
                        The USHL teams all draw fairly well and the AHL team averages 6400 a night.

Comment

It's also the third AHL franchise in a decade in Iowa...
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Nebraska's administration gets this question fairly regularly and the response is always the same, that men's sports are all underperforming and they'd rather focus on making football, basketball, and baseball competitive than invest in yet another sport to be mediocre in.

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                            It would work for both programs if UNO had a strong and supportive fanbase. Sadly, that's really not the case, since most UNO grads end up becoming Jayskers (Nebraska football/Creighton basketball fans) or Husker faithful after they graduate. Right now UNO is the big ticket for hockey in the state of Nebraska. If Nebraska starts a hockey program you'd see UNO's fanbase evaporate overnight as the T-shirt fan alums run screaming towards UNL. The sports media in Omaha is also loaded with Lincoln J-school grads that take their Husker fandom with them to work every day. One of the main sportswriters in town, Sam Mckeown, even went on the radio during the D1 transition and said UNO should drop all athletics because they don't get good volleyball attendance.
                            UNO's making good strides in this regard and the move to all sports for D1 has been really good for them when it comes to breaking this, but it's still 20 years too early for UNO. If Lincoln started a program tomorrow UNO would end up dropping hockey within a decade. Hockey in Omaha's already taken a major hit due to Creighton basketball. It used to be the #3 sport in town, and between the Mavericks and Lancers hockey attendance has dropped by over half in the last 15-20 years.

Comment

That isnt true. Hockey does decent there. That said Iowa is not getting a team.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                              X