This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    The bombshell cuts were announced *today* by the Alaska legislature. They had flirted with it a year or two ago, but both schools undertook their own cuts to minimize any legislative cuts ahead of time. (or so I recall)
    The funding cuts were announced by the Governor in a line item veto. The Legislature has no part in this.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
      A "selfish" program would've jumped to the NCHC with Mankato when they came calling.

I look for this to be a merger of sorts between the WCHA, NCHC, and AHA when it's all said and done.
      This isn’t a merger, it’s an execution.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Re: New WCHA is dead

UAF’s statement on this carnage.

https://alaskananooks.com/news/2019/...from-wcha.aspx
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
          Thought it would happen eventually but not as soon as it did. This league must have been bleeding red ink way more than anyone thought. Doesn't help that the two Alaska schools are on perennial life support.

Does this kill the UAH arena plans?

https://bgsufalcons.com/news/2019/6/...filiation.aspx
          Might as well kill the women's league while they are at it....
          Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
            I’d be supportive of UAF announcing its withdrawal from the WCHA on Monday, effective immediately. We can use the money we save from not having to pay for the other ungrateful seven to travel to AK to pay the withdrawal penalty.

Enjoy your bus league, and try not to run over anybody else with that bus. ✌️
            Don't get uppity now, look at the Gold Panners...
            Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
              I know that BG has about zero interest in continuing with the Alaska trips......not just the financial aspect but also what those trips do to the the team the week after. Bergeron talked numerous times about the after effects of Alaska trips and how they really mess you up for two weeks of play fatigue wise.

College hockey just doesn't work in Alaska...there are no schools close enough to make it feasible and they seem to be on a shoestring budget every single year as well. The on campus 700 person rink move was probably the nail in the coffin for AA.

Speaking of Bergeron.....it wil be interesting to see what this move does to Miami. Beregeron is an old CCHA guy and he might want to be in a league with less travel and BG as a rival again. Not mention easier to rebuild a program in a league were you don't play UMD, UND and Denver 12+ times a year.......
              Wow, lower 48'ers lol. Whiny bunch you are. What happened in junior's? What's gonna happen if players make it to the next level? Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                A "selfish" program would've jumped to the NCHC with Mankato when they came calling.

I look for this to be a merger of sorts between the WCHA, NCHC, and AHA when it's all said and done.
                Minnesota State applied and was rejected by the NCHC.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  Per team, per trip.
                  25 people times $600 for airfare is $15,000. Add hotel rooms plus food for a weeks and it would cost significantly more than $16,000. Add to that the trouble that is caused with school and hockey with that kind of travel disruption. I am bummed by the news, and disappointed in the WCHA but I can understand why. Hell, you ever try to talk your relatives into coming for a visit? It's like we are on Venus or something.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    Minnesota State applied and was rejected by the NCHC.
                    Yes. When Mankato applied, the NCHC came to BGSU and asked if they'd come too. They said "no," then Mankato was denied.

Comment

• Re: New WCHA is dead

Given the circumstances, the statement is remarkably calm & classy.

Sifting through the clues, hoping somehow there might be a diamond in the rough:

1. Maybe the two year period isn't a hard deadline. Maybe it has more to do with dodging exit fees whenever the end comes. If the end date is more negotiable than it first appears, perhaps the current arrangement would continue in some form until the three affected schools have viable alternatives.

2. Regarding new schools in the Pacific Coast area, Chancellor White might be just wishing & hoping. But if ASU would be willing to be part of a "PCHA," that would be a start toward forming something new. If 3 more PAC-12 schools took the plunge, a 6 team league might be viable as a medium term solution.

Yeah, I know. Seems hopelessly optimistic. But I do hope the Alaska schools continue to play for at least the two promised seasons, leaving no stones unturned during those 24 months.

As for Huntsville: If AHA is actually an option, I would think that transition would be very doable within a two year timeframe.

Comment

Quite a different tone from when then-SCSU President Potter put out a fiery statement about the NCHC, then promptly got on his knees for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                          Yes. When Mankato applied, the NCHC came to BGSU and asked if they'd come too. They said "no," then Mankato was denied.
                          It was Mankato State and Arizona State that formally applied.

Comment

• Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
                            It was Mankato State and Arizona State that formally applied.
                            That is correct. And the Nacho brass subsequently reached out and asked BG about their interest in submitting an application. After careful consideration the response from BG was non merci.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              I believe they’d have to move their whole athletic program to D-2.
                              There must be some exception to this. Colorado College is D-3 in other sports.

Comment

As a former Alaska resident, I’m not at all surprised at this predicament for their hockey programs. The mentality of that state will always leave them struggling to support public entities and moving a DI hockey program into an 800 seat arena is a typical Alaska solution to a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X