X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New WCHA is dead

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Per team that travels to Alaska. The Fairbanks number is closer to $20,000 plus hotel. Anybody accusing UAF or UAA of not stepping up to support hockey is gloriously clueless.
    I remember there was a big deal when I was at WMU in the early 2000s that at one point UAF was to "stop subsidizing conference visitor trips" to Fairbanks or at least adjust this. Is this accurate? Did this ever happen and if so what is difference in UAF costs from then and now?
    CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

I want the Alaska schools playing D-1 hockey. How did they obtain major conference affiliation? Anyone have any stories from back in the day?
      CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
        I remember there was a big deal when I was at WMU in the early 2000s that at one point UAF was to "stop subsidizing conference visitor trips" to Fairbanks or at least adjust this. Is this accurate? Did this ever happen and if so what is difference in UAF costs from then and now?
        When the move to the WCHA happened part of the deal was we moved from just paying, basically, billed charges for visiting travel to a set amount per team. I believe it was a better deal overall for us.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

When the Ivies eventually split from the ECAC (and they will...) , this is how they'll do it.
          This whole move reeks of the 'Ivy league' hubris.

Comment

Conference realignment never truly ends... it’s just different fan bases each time who are left to deal with the shock. I think this is just another step (probably a necessary one) in the slow process of getting the conferences geographically aligned better again. I’d like to think the “8th spot” is an opening wake up call for UAH, but I could also see it as a billboard for St. Thomas (granted I have no clue all the steps that they need to do to get from D3 up to D1 in hockey) to look into the possibility. I for one love the idea of a other MN school, but I still think it’s just time before another shuffle happens.

Comment

Does Bob Daniels retire immediately rather than go through this garbage?
              CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

From an outside perspective, I am having trouble seeing how the Alaska schools were planning on existing in 5 years based on the funding cuts that have been made by the legislature. And this is just a year removed to where it seemed that there was serious question as to whether there would be a "next year" for both schools' programs. What am I failing to see with how I'm interpreting these recent events? What has been done to secure the future?

Also, is there any financial burden that would have been taken on by the 7 breakaway schools if the Alaska schools (or Huntsville, albeit a seemingly much unlikelier scenario) had pulled the plug and left the group sitting by themselves anyway? Usually it's better to be proactive instead of reactive, even though the end result is the same.
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Not quite. If they move to D2 and wait the 3-4 year phase in period, they'll be eligible for both men's D1 (via the D2 no championship exception) and women's NC championships.
                  I believe they’d have to move their whole athletic program to D-2.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Seriously, nobody should be surprised. I mentioned several years ago that BG wasn't happy and was looking at other solutions. They didn't keep the rights to the CCHA name for posterity's sake. Primarily it's the 2 trips to Alaska every year that is the biggest issue. I don't care how much the schools pay right now, it's still a huge expense in money and time. One trip per year wasn't bad but two is not really sustainable. I feel bad for the 3 schools that are affected by this but I think it's the best solution for the the future of the remaining 7. If that sounds cold, I apologize but it is what it is. BG found a way to survive when faced with adversity and I wish UAA, UAF, and UAH the same success.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                      From an outside perspective, I am having trouble seeing how the Alaska schools were planning on existing in 5 years based on the funding cuts that have been made by the legislature. And this is just a year removed to where it seemed that there was serious question as to whether there would be a "next year" for both schools' programs. What am I failing to see with how I'm interpreting these recent events? What has been done to secure the future?

Also, is there any financial burden that would have been taken on by the 7 breakaway schools if the Alaska schools (or Huntsville, albeit a seemingly much unlikelier scenario) had pulled the plug and left the group sitting by themselves anyway? Usually it's better to be proactive instead of reactive, even though the end result is the same.
                      UAA was securing their future by moving on campus and shedding a $25k per game cost for arena rental plus an increase in revenue from concessions and parking, the revenue lost to capacity is likely negligible. Plus not having to maintain two different facilities.

These budget cuts announced today are almost likely not permanent either being overridden on the veto or reinstated with the Capital Budget, today was just typical political posturing because Republicans hate education.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by BGFan View Post
                        Seriously, nobody should be surprised. I mentioned several years ago that BG wasn't happy and was looking at other solutions. They didn't keep the rights to the CCHA name for posterity's sake. Primarily it's the 2 trips to Alaska every year that is the biggest issue. I don't care how much the schools pay right now, it's still a huge expense in money and time. One trip per year wasn't bad but two is not really sustainable. I feel bad for the 3 schools that are affected by this but I think it's the best solution for the the future of the remaining 7. If that sounds cold, I apologize but it is what it is. BG found a way to survive when faced with adversity and I wish UAA, UAF, and UAH the same success.
                        F- off. Your selfish program just killed three others. These problems could’ve been negotiated and fixed but instead your program just went behind the back and stabbed three programs in the back.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
                          Anchorage was either able to stop making payments to the WCHA or never had to based on their terms of membership. Fairbanks, on the other hand, was bent over a barrel by the CCHA and had to keep making payments until the CCHA dissolved. There was much teeth gnashing over Anchorage having to make payments once again (or start making payments, I forget which) when the New WCHA was formed.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                            ... I am having trouble seeing how the Alaska schools were planning on existing in 5 years based on the funding cuts that have been made by the legislature. ...
                            The bombshell cuts were announced *today* by the Alaska legislature. They had flirted with it a year or two ago, but both schools undertook their own cuts to minimize any legislative cuts ahead of time. (or so I recall)
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
                              When the Ivies eventually split from the ECAC (and they will...) , this is how they'll do it.
                              This whole move reeks of the 'Ivy league' hubris.
                              Ha when is this happening?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                F- off. Your selfish program just killed three others. These problems could’ve been negotiated and fixed but instead your program just went behind the back and stabbed three programs in the back.
                                A "selfish" program would've jumped to the NCHC with Mankato when they came calling.

I look for this to be a merger of sorts between the WCHA, NCHC, and AHA when it's all said and done.

Comment

Working...
                                X