X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New WCHA is dead

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    The league would be reduced to 8 teams, so you would have 7 opponents
    This is what I was saying. If you cancel the Alaska games, then everyone loses 6 games, leaving everyone with 22. That's not balanced, because it's going to be 12H/10R or 10H/12R.

But it's also not balanced in regard to who you play. Each school would end up with 3 free weekends, because of the cancelled series.

What I am saying is that, surely, there is enough flex in the way that would work, that each school could easily pick up one more series against a school with whom they only had one series scheduled.

That would make a 24-game sched. Not ideal, but perhaps acceptable in a crisis situation.

The 24 games would be 12H/12R, and the matrix would be:
    4 ga vs 5 opponents
    2 ga vs 2 opponents

And, as an example, I gave: BSU @ MTU on Nov 1/2 would balance both of their schedules in the way I have mentioned.

Comment

also be interesting if any of the teams play the Alaska schools NC would end up trying to play a different WCHA team, probably not since those were likely extra games...
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        also be interesting if any of the teams play the Alaska schools NC would end up trying to play a different WCHA team, probably not since those were likely extra games...
        Maine is set to host UAA in October. Ferris State has an open weekend and Michigan Tech would be available since the Huskies wouldn't be playing UA. Barring a new WCHA schedule, both teams would be at 28 games. Would either of them be interested in traveling to Orono this October?

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          Maine is set to host UAA in October. Ferris State has an open weekend and Michigan Tech would be available since the Huskies wouldn't be playing UA. Barring a new WCHA schedule, both teams would be at 28 games. Would either of them be interested in traveling to Orono this October?
          If its me, I'd love to have MTU go to Maine, but I'm not sure they'd want to start with 7 straight on the road.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

If its me, I'd love to have MTU go to Maine, but I'm not sure they'd want to start with 7 straight on the road.
            Yeah, that's a problem. If Maine went to Michigan Tech in exchange for the Huskies coming next season then Maine would have six on the road and not play a home game until November.

So I guess that leaves Ferris...

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              Yeah, that's a problem. If Maine went to Michigan Tech in exchange for the Huskies coming next season then Maine would have six on the road and not play a home game until November.

So I guess that leaves Ferris...
              Ferris has a home game on the 10th against Colgate, for what it's worth. Not sure they'd want to fly to Maine immediately after playing a game to play two more, which would also result in games three straight days.

Comment

"USA Hockey tabs Alaska Anchorage's Matt Curley as its U-17 Men's Select Team head coach while Alabama Huntsville's Mike Corbett will serve as one of Curley's assistants.

The U-17 team will compete at the Five Nations Tournament in Germany, Aug. 11-17. 🇺🇸🏒"

...like it was scripted, seriously. who is the other assistant? UAF's erik largen?

GO TECH GOLD!

Comment

Personally I'd rather have that than last season's schedule with the only road game between Thanksgiving and Christmas at NMU. Makes for a tough road schedule down the stretch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    It was also waived when Wayne State folded. The scholarships were still honored by the school for those kids who wanted to stay and graduate, but if the Alaska University System cuts programs as well, it's going to be a scramble.
                    Specifically with the Zombie Chargers:

UAH released all players at the timing of Portera's announcement. Two (Saunders to NoDak, Roy to RoMo) left; others were evaluating when Altenkirch brought the team back a few weeks later. I believe that the school was allowed to rescind the release at that time. Saunders and Roy were offered their slots back, I believe, but if that was done, they declined.

HTH. HAND.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

This is the quote I tried to attach

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                        Ferris has a home game on the 10th against Colgate, for what it's worth. Not sure they'd want to fly to Maine immediately after playing a game to play two more, which would also result in games three straight days.
                        Dammit, I read the schedule wrong. I thought that game was Sunday 10/6.

Well then, I guess Maine is SOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                          This is what I was saying. If you cancel the Alaska games, then everyone loses 6 games, leaving everyone with 22. That's not balanced, because it's going to be 12H/10R or 10H/12R.

But it's also not balanced in regard to who you play. Each school would end up with 3 free weekends, because of the cancelled series.

What I am saying is that, surely, there is enough flex in the way that would work, that each school could easily pick up one more series against a school with whom they only had one series scheduled.

That would make a 24-game sched. Not ideal, but perhaps acceptable in a crisis situation.

The 24 games would be 12H/12R, and the matrix would be:
                          4 ga vs 5 opponents
                          2 ga vs 2 opponents

And, as an example, I gave: BSU @ MTU on Nov 1/2 would balance both of their schedules in the way I have mentioned.
                          I think it would have to be 24 or an unbalanced 26 game schedule as well. Yes, there will be some easy rescheduling picks, but many will be much more difficult. I’ve been through midsession rescheduling twice in the minor pros and this could be the third time the WCHA has had to redo theirs. It’s a very difficult process. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn’t come to that.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post

It's not balanced in regard to whom you play now. And all the teams lost games against common opponents. I don't think they need to worry too much about two extra home games for some teams. It's only one season, they will come up with a new schedule formula by next year.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                              It's not balanced in regard to whom you play now. And all the teams lost games against common opponents. I don't think they need to worry too much about two extra home games for some teams. It's only one season, they will come up with a new schedule formula by next year.

I highly doubt the schools that lose 4 home games are going to be happy about that

Comment

I highly doubt the schools that lose 4 home games are going to be happy about that
                                I agree but it's only one year, they are really only losing two more than the others and without a truly balanced schedule (playing every team the same number of times at home and away) which would be 36 games in a 10-team league, there will always be someone whining.

I've learned long ago that you can't please everyone all the time. Sometimes it's your turn to get the "short end of the stick". Just play the games and win as many as you can. And don't whine about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X