This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
    I know that BG has about zero interest in continuing with the Alaska trips......not just the financial aspect but also what those trips do to the the team the week after. Bergeron talked numerous times about the after effects of Alaska trips and how they really mess you up for two weeks of play fatigue wise.

College hockey just doesn't work in Alaska...there are no schools close enough to make it feasible and they seem to be on a shoestring budget every single year as well. The on campus 700 person rink move was probably the nail in the coffin for AA.

Speaking of Bergeron.....it wil be interesting to see what this move does to Miami. Beregeron is an old CCHA guy and he might want to be in a league with less travel and BG as a rival again. Not mention easier to rebuild a program in a league were you don't play UMD, UND and Denver 12+ times a year.......
    It’s very expensive to buy out of the NCHC.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by BSUBeavs View Post
      I think the billboard may be for St. Thomas rather than Arizona St. Almost guarantee St. Thomas is in. The timeline matches up well, they have the ability to become a successful program pretty quickly
      Unless St Thomas moves it’s entire athletic program up, they can’t play D-1 hockey.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
        The Alaska schools pay much of the airfare and hotel costs (at least UAA does).
        Want to know something funny? This doesn’t happen in any other sport that UAF or UAA (and presumably UAH) participate in.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Re: New WCHA is dead

Everyone knew this day was coming, it was quite obvious when the rumors were floating around 4-5 years ago. A bit surprised to see UAH left out, and I can't help but wonder if they get invited back in if they can demonstrate a commitment to a proper on-campus arena within 2-4 years and increased program funding.

This also opens the door for any school within the geographic footprint, particularly the AHA teams that had expressed interest in playing without the scholarship limits imposed by that conference. Robert Morris in Pittsburgh, for example, and Mercyhurst in Erie.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83
            They don’t pay as much as you think. Even after the subsidies, it still costs far more to go to Anchorage and Fairbanks than to any other school but Huntsville.
            Just ****ing stop.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Everyone knew this day was coming, it was quite obvious when the rumors were floating around 4-5 years ago. A bit surprised to see UAH left out, and I can't help but wonder if they get invited back in if they can demonstrate a commitment to a proper on-campus arena within 2-4 years and increased program funding.

This also opens the door for any school within the geographic footprint, particularly the AHA teams that had expressed interest in playing without the scholarship limits imposed by that conference. Robert Morris in Pittsburgh, for example, and Mercyhurst in Erie.
              I think Huntsville may have a chance if they get arena & funding commitments. I’m not so sure the Minnesota schools and Upper Michigan schools want to replace partially funded trips to Fairbanks and Anchorage with unpaid flights to Pittsburgh and Erie. I think right now, the official elephant in the room is in the Valley of the Sun.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                Want to know something funny? This doesn’t happen in any other sport that UAF or UAA (and presumably UAH) participate in.
                Yup, GNAC also has the additional hurdle of having a Canadian school as well.
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                  Just ****ing stop.
                  I apologize. I certainly understand your frustration right now. I wish that the circumstances were different. I’m certainly looking forward to the trip up there this year.

Comment

I know this is total pie in the sky, but what about the Alaska schools joining the BCIHL. Eastern Washington was in the league 2011-2018
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis..._Hockey_League

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      I apologize. I certainly understand your frustration right now. I wish that the circumstances were different. I’m certainly looking forward to the trip up there this year.
                      Yeah, might as well make that trip. You’re not gonna get any other opportunities to do it.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by CornwallAce View Post
                        I know this is total pie in the sky, but what about the Alaska schools joining the BCIHL. Eastern Washington was in the league 2011-2018
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis..._Hockey_League
                        Your concern has been logged and noted.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Unless St Thomas moves it’s entire athletic program up, they can’t play D-1 hockey.
                          Not quite. If they move to D2 and wait the 3-4 year phase in period, they'll be eligible for both men's D1 (via the D2 no championship exception) and women's NC championships.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I find it hard to justify a reason why we would field a 2019-20 team.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              Yeah, might as well make that trip. You’re not gonna get any other opportunities to do it.
                              I hope for another visit to Anchorage as well. It’s one of my favorite cities in the league.

Comment

From what I’ve heard, this was a coordinated backstabbing. UAF, UAA, and UAH were given no prior notice to the coordinated press releases going out from each of the other seven schools. What’s more, these schools had the gall to do this the same day that UAF and UAA were hit with significant cuts from a draconian Governor while they try to get the legislative votes for an override.

We may or may not survive. But if we do, I sincerely hope that that Bowling Green, Mankato, Michigan Tech, Northern Michigan, Ferris State, Lake Superior, and Bemidji State never appear on a Nanook schedule again. And since actions speak loudly, I know that’s a mutual feeling.

This is a sad and embarrassing day for college hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X