This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New WCHA is dead

Today has been an interesting day. The Governor announced $130m cut to the UA system (through a veto of the legislature’s operating budget), and both Alaska schools (along with UAH) have been kicked off the WCHA island.

Even if the legislature overrides the Gov vetos (which I think they will for many reasons), and the breakup of the WCHA is put on hold, we are toast. It’s been tough enough the last few years to recruit. Announcements to move back on campus into very poor facilities with promised plans to upgrade in the near future does not help. What self-respecting recruit would come north now?

I would kill the program Monday and give coaches and kids their walking papers. I’d tell the WCHA to pound sand if they came looking for penalties.

That means the end of hockey at both schools, but the end of all sports for UAF. UAA has enough sports to still meet NCAA minimum requirements, but maybe not the budget. But it would be hard to leave one of the nicest DII sports arenas in the country sit idle. This development also fits into the plan to streamline and consolidate the three campuses into one accredited UA system.

Comment

A new CCHA?
      Thinking that NMU is way better then your school with no evidence or proof since 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post

I’d say this is a billboard to Arizona State, you are welcome to join us.
        This would be the only silver lining in this whole debacle, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
          This development also fits into the plan to streamline and consolidate the three campuses into one accredited UA system.
          The only sane solution, it would seem to me. I never understood why UAF wanted to rebrand themselves to disassociate with the UA system.

Comment

My first thought is “well f- you too!” Pretty much throwing three schools under the bus. This after both Alaska schools have started making moves to get themselves out of expensive arena situations and start making themselves more competitive. Stable conference membership would help with the budget situation and that just got cut off.

This ends the programs at UAA and UAF no doubt. Echoing MMF the news today likely means the athletic program itself is gone at UAF. Plus it f-s Huntsville just when things were starting to get stabilized.

Should’ve just left the schools to die years ago instead of teasing them along.

U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

The WCHA is dead.

I think 2021 is around the same time the University of St. Thomas will be forced out of the MIAC... 🤔

If the Alaska schools can’t afford their current rinks, they won’t be doing any renovations to their on-campus arenas any time soon.

Huntsville drawing 20 percent of their arena’s capacity isn’t sustainable.

It’s about time this happened.

Comment

Adam Wodon sums it up nicely:
                I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                  Interested to see if the Alaska teams, ASU, UAH form a new conference of their own with a couple of western schools to make the jump.
                  There is ZERO chance that ASU teams up with the financially strapped Alaska schools.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I’d be supportive of UAF announcing its withdrawal from the WCHA on Monday, effective immediately. We can use the money we save from not having to pay for the other ungrateful seven to travel to AK to pay the withdrawal penalty.

Enjoy your bus league, and try not to run over anybody else with that bus. ✌️
                    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                      I’d be supportive of UAF announcing its withdrawal from the WCHA on Monday, effective immediately. We can use the money we save from not having to pay for the other ungrateful seven to travel to AK to pay the withdrawal penalty.

Enjoy your bus league, and try not to run over anybody else with that bus. ✌️
                      For once I actually agree with a UAF fan.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

The sad reality is that many of these programs wanting to leave are in financial tight jackets themselves. They simply can no longer afford being in a conference with the two Alaska schools and UAH

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
                          I’d say this is a billboard to Arizona State, you are welcome to join us.
                          I think the billboard may be for St. Thomas rather than Arizona St. Almost guarantee St. Thomas is in. The timeline matches up well, they have the ability to become a successful program pretty quickly
                          Last edited by BSUBeavs; 06-28-2019, 05:59 PM.

Comment

I know that BG has about zero interest in continuing with the Alaska trips......not just the financial aspect but also what those trips do to the the team the week after. Bergeron talked numerous times about the after effects of Alaska trips and how they really mess you up for two weeks of play fatigue wise.

College hockey just doesn't work in Alaska...there are no schools close enough to make it feasible and they seem to be on a shoestring budget every single year as well. The on campus 700 person rink move was probably the nail in the coffin for AA.

Speaking of Bergeron.....it wil be interesting to see what this move does to Miami. Beregeron is an old CCHA guy and he might want to be in a league with less travel and BG as a rival again. Not mention easier to rebuild a program in a league were you don't play UMD, UND and Denver 12+ times a year.......

Comment

Ho. Ly. Sh*t.

Wow.

I don't really have the words right now.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                                The sad reality is that many of these programs wanting to leave are in financial tight jackets themselves. They simply can no longer afford being in a conference with the two Alaska schools and UAH
                                The Alaska schools pay much of the airfare and hotel costs (at least UAA does).
                                Originally Posted by aparch
                                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X