X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New WCHA is dead

I'm going to ask about the worst case scenario here:

Alaska schools can't get their funding. What now?

Obviously Athletics get the axe as the schools try and make a budget. How does this effect the rest of the nWCHA? Obviously you can't just delete the Alaska games and keep the schedule balanced. I would assume the nWCHA took the time and made a secondary schedule to address this since this is the 2nd time Alaska has gone through a deal like this now. Are there any legal ramifications for the schools just quitting out of the blue? I assume travel arrangements for the upcoming season are in place already. Can non-AK schools recoup that cash?

I feel bad for the Alaska schools, but at this point, I'm more worried about NMU taking a hit from this
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

The vote is 37-1 to override (14-0 in the Senate, 23-1 in the House) which falls short of the 45 needed.

I am so sorry for our friends from Alaska. This is a hockey forum, so of course that's the focal point, but this extends to so much more than just hockey - or even the athletics department or even the university.

The college hockey world is about to drop to 58 teams and we are one step closer to a 14-team national tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        There are 22 Republicans hiding in a middle school in Wasilla (appropriate since they are acting like sixth-graders instead of adults) refusing to vote.
        I don't disagree with this.

Now allow me to elaborate on my statement. You have one group of politicians acting like sixth graders who refuse to go and vote at the capital (where logic says it should be). So let's say their vote, or non-vote isn't on record. Now you have a second group of politicians who while technically right as to where the vote should be held refuses to come off their moral high ground and go to that middle school and have a vote that counts... so again their votes aren't really on record, or at least any record that counts. Both groups get to point fingers and say "it's all their fault"

So two groups of politicians standing around with their d**k$ in their hands, **$$ing on each other while the education system burns... seems pretty gutless to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
          I'm going to ask about the worst case scenario here:

Alaska schools can't get their funding. What now?

Obviously Athletics get the axe as the schools try and make a budget. How does this effect the rest of the nWCHA? Obviously you can't just delete the Alaska games and keep the schedule balanced. I would assume the nWCHA took the time and made a secondary schedule to address this since this is the 2nd time Alaska has gone through a deal like this now. Are there any legal ramifications for the schools just quitting out of the blue? I assume travel arrangements for the upcoming season are in place already. Can non-AK schools recoup that cash?

I feel bad for the Alaska schools, but at this point, I'm more worried about NMU taking a hit from this
          Good luck recouping that cash. If the Alaskas cut the programs, it will be a difficult rescheduling. Take Thanksgiving weekend. BG & Mankato have non-conference. Can’t reschedule those. Tech & Ferris are both supposed to fly to Alaska. NMU is scheduled to fly to Huntsville. Bemidji is at LSSU. Neither Tech nor Ferris has an opponent. But you can’t just put Tech & Ferris together because they already play four times. Do you reschedule NMU’s flight to Nashville/Huntsville? With every domino you turn, three more fall. I could be sitting here with a wasted Fairbanks ticket. If Huntsville is rescheduled, costly flight changes occur. I would hope that the teams that have flights among the other would have those dates protected. But you never know.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            Good luck recouping that cash. If the Alaskas cut the programs, it will be a difficult rescheduling. Take Thanksgiving weekend. BG & Mankato have non-conference. Can’t reschedule those. Tech & Ferris are both supposed to fly to Alaska. NMU is scheduled to fly to Huntsville. Bemidji is at LSSU. Neither Tech nor Ferris has an opponent. But you can’t just put Tech & Ferris together because they already play four times. Do you reschedule NMU’s flight to Nashville/Huntsville? With every domino you turn, three more fall. I could be sitting here with a wasted Fairbanks ticket. If Huntsville is rescheduled, costly flight changes occur. I would hope that the teams that have flights among the other would have those dates protected. But you never know.
            BSU as six games against the Alaskas this year. They drop and that drops the Beavers from 34 to 28 games....
            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
              BSU as six games against the Alaskas this year. They drop and that drops the Beavers from 34 to 28 games....
              This was the big concern I had. Some teams have 8 games vs the Alaskas, some have 6. You have a very imbalanced schedule as a result.

Comment

• Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                Every team has six games against the Alaskas.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                  This was the big concern I had. Some teams have 8 games vs the Alaskas, some have 6. You have a very imbalanced schedule as a result.
                  No one has 8 games vs the Alaskas. Some play two series in Alaska, one at home. Some have 2 series at home and one in Alaska. It’s the same with any of the rival pairings, MNSt/BSt, NMU/Tech, LSSU/Ferris and UAH/BG. You have 2 home/2 away vs your “rival” plus one team from each pair. And you play the one team from each other pair 2 games, with two of those opponents at home and two away.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    Every team has six games against the Alaskas.
                    Thanks. I didn't go out and look and didn't realize everyone had six.
                    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      No one has 8 games vs the Alaskas. Some play two series in Alaska, one at home. Some have 2 series at home and one in Alaska. It’s the same with any of the rival pairings, MNSt/BSt, NMU/Tech, LSSU/Ferris and UAH/BG. You have 2 home/2 away vs your “rival” plus one team from each pair. And you play the one team from each other pair 2 games, with two of those opponents at home and two away.
                      Gotcha. I though getting the double trip was the result of having a home/home with both...

Comment

I'm trying to remember just how gutted I was when they cut the program and trying to expand how I'd feel if the UAS decided to cut UAH (which is how it seem some days) in half. I'm failing. UAA and UAF fans, I'm thinking of you.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

I‘m trying to keep in mind that most hockey fans are truly passionate about the game, and just a whole different breed of animal than university administration.

But the only pleasure I can see getting out of this is if we dump our season and travel guarantees at the last moment, hopefully when some team is at 30,000 ft somewhere between Minneapolis and Fairbanks, and the conference schedule is a shambles for the rest of the season. OK, I feel better now.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                            I‘m trying to keep in mind that most hockey fans are truly passionate about the game, and just a whole different breed of animal than university administration.

But the only pleasure I can see getting out of this is if we dump our season and travel guarantees at the last moment, hopefully when some team is at 30,000 ft somewhere between Minneapolis and Fairbanks, and the conference schedule is a shambles for the rest of the season. OK, I feel better now.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCQGQ5qBQTA

Comment

If UAF and UAA go bye-bye, WCHA go to winning %???..I feel for volleyball..season starts in about a mohth, or suppose to. President Jim Johnsen and Regents set to meet July 15th...GOV and legislature have until Friday at 1259pm to come with plan. Or find the money elswehere for the cuts...

Comment

• Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
                                If UAF and UAA go bye-bye, WCHA go to winning %???..I feel for volleyball..season starts in about a mohth, or suppose to. President Jim Johnsen and Regents set to meet July 15th...GOV and legislature have until Friday at 1259pm to come with plan. Or find the money elswehere for the cuts...
                                My guess would be that some reschedule work would be done so all teams play an equal number of games. Four teams play Anchorage four times and Fairbanks twice. The other four play the opposite. Each team would lose six games.
                                Last edited by davyd83; 07-11-2019, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X