This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Unless there is some massive, catastrophic, yet to be seen flaw with St. Thomas, they will have an open invitation to come to the CCHA. The only wrench in those works would be the rumored (but at this time unlikely) swap of Mankato and Bemidji for Western and Miami.
    Where would St Thomas play? They have a 1,000 seat rink. Where would an appropriate 3-5,000 venue be with enough weekend dates available?
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: New WCHA is dead

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      The biggest problem for the Selective Seven is that they're not good enough to destroy UAH and UAA. Want to not hurt your PWR? Finish the job.

It hasn't been a problem for Minnesota State to drill UAH game after game. It wasn't for Tech until they began to lose their edge.

Bowling Green gave a truly terrible UAH team their first WCHA win. Bemidji State gave them their second.

There's a reason that the WCHA isn't that great — its best teams aren't good enough to withstand losing to one of the truly terrible teams in this league.

UAH has sucked for 15 years, outside of last season. The run of 20 losses is unending; they'll hit 30 this year unless they do another sniper job. And yet UAH picks off a second-tier WCHA team or two every season.

Do the incoming CCHA teams think that beating the crap out of each other is going to fly? That having LSSU and FSU to kick around is going to be enough? These people have never had a mathematics book with them in the same room for the last decade, much less had one hit them upside of the head or attempt a rectal incursion, both of which are sorely needed.

[Note: if you accept UAH as the eighth team, I'll delete this post.]

GFM
      any given Sunday rule.
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        Where would St Thomas play? They have a 1,000 seat rink. Where would an appropriate 3-5,000 venue be with enough weekend dates available?
        You just can't help beating this drum, can you? Off the top of my head, the State Fairgrounds Arena could be a temporary home. Parade Ice Garden. Bloomington Ice Garden. Braemar Arena. Aldrich Ice Arena. Quick question - how much time have you spent bumbing around the HS rinks in the Twin Cities? For a temporary home, there are several that would blow the UAA practice rink and even FSUs barn out of the water [emoji2369]
        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
        B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
        CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
        ECAC:
        HEA: UMass
        NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
        Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Bottom line, even if UST says they want to play in their 1000 seat barn for two years while they build new (that would be fall of 2023), why wouldn't the CCHA be patient in order to gain exposure to the Twin Cities market? It's a no brainer

AHA:
          ECAC:

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
            Bottom line, even if UST says they want to play in their 1000 seat barn for two years while they build new (that would be fall of 2023), why wouldn't the CCHA be patient in order to gain exposure to the Twin Cities market? It's a no brainer
            Right on. My guess is the CCHA is willing to stay at 7 until UST gets anointed by the NCAA. I wouldn't be surprised to hear they have a verbal offer, nor would I be surprised if a formal offer comes soon, even before a NCAA decision. They may not take them in until the rink is built, but I'm guessing if ground is broken on a suitable rink the CCHA will have no problem playing in the current rink until it is done.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

The other thing you have to remember is that UST won't likely be NCAA tournament eligible for their first 3-5 years. So they probably won't be conference tournament eligible either. So, what difference does rink capacity make until they can play tournament games?

AHA:
              ECAC:

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                Curtain off the upper level of Target Center and you'd have about 6-7,000 seats.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                  Curtain off the upper level of Target Center and you'd have about 6-7,000 seats.
                  I did briefly consider Target Center. I doubt they'd want to play in St Paul, but similarly Xcel or they could kick Hamline out of the Wild's practice rink. The most "out there" suggestion I've heard is they rent Ridder from the Gophs. Ultimately it's laughable that NMU'S radio guy thinks there's a shortage of rinks in Minneapolis [emoji1787]

AHA:
                  ECAC:

Comment

I did briefly consider Target Center. I doubt they'd want to play in St Paul, but similarly Xcel or they could kick Hamline out of the Wild's practice rink. The most "out there" suggestion I've heard is they rent Ridder from the Gophs.
                    Why wouldn't UST want to play in St. Paul? The X is five miles down Summit Ave and would be a great place. Better than out in Mendota Heights.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                      Why wouldn't UST want to play in St. Paul? The X is five miles down Summit Ave and would be a great place. Better than out in Mendota Heights.

Perhaps STU would need a new football stadium going D1, and that current location becomes a rink. The new football location maybe is some current country club willing to shut down, with deep ties to STU.. just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by theartic View Post
                        Perhaps STU would need a new football stadium going D1, and that current location becomes a rink. The new football location maybe is some current country club willing to shut down, with deep ties to STU.. just a thought...
                        There is room to add seating at O'Shaughnessy Stadium. What capacity would be needed? What about the other facilities? I don't think the bouncyball gym in the Anderson Centre seats a whole lot. But that is where the Horizon League is helping UST with the NCAA process.

Comment

@thebrain - what are the odds they play football at the new MLS soccer stadium? Isn't that just down the road?

AHA:
                          ECAC:

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                            There is room to add seating at O'Shaughnessy Stadium. What capacity would be needed? What about the other facilities? I don't think the bouncyball gym in the Anderson Centre seats a whole lot. But that is where the Horizon League is helping UST with the NCAA process.

I mean, have you seen some DI basketball gyms? I live in Ft Wayne currently & Purdue-Ft Wayne (who UST would replace in the Summit) plays in the equivalent of a HS gym. And not even a really nice one either

https://gomastodons.com/facilities/g...ports-center/2
                            Last edited by moose97; 02-20-2020, 10:10 PM.

AHA:
                            ECAC:

Comment

@thebrain - what are the odds they play football at the new MLS soccer stadium? Isn't that just down the road?
                              They played the St. John's game there last fall. I don't know how it was received by the MLS. IIRC they had a playoff game the next day. If the turf was too damaged, I doubt they would want to do it often. Not to mention with natural turf, you don't want a football field and a soccer pitch to be maintained the same. I don't see them tearing down the stadium to build a rink. That would be two whole new venues when they can probably do fine renovating the football stadium.

Comment

I mean, have you seen some DI basketball gyms? I live in Ft Wayne currently & Purdue-Ft Wayne (who UST would replace in the Summit) plays in the equivalent of a HS gym. And not even a really nice one either

https://gomastodons.com/facilities/g...ports-center/2
                                The Anderson Centre seats 2,000. Your link says that gym is 1,800. But is that like comparing it to Ewigleben at FSU? What are the other capacities in the Horizon League?

Comment

Working...
                                X