X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New WCHA is dead

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I don't agree with this statement at all...unless those 7 are trying to get away from some top WCHA officials? If the Alaska schools fold up shop, and those 7 are ok with keeping UAH there is no reason to leave.
    Suppose the Alaska schools fold up shop and the Rogue 7 leave, does UAH keep the rights to the WCHA brand like BG has the CCHA? I would think that it stays because of the women's league. If the Rogue 7 accept UAH as #8, that would mean the new league would be the same eight teams with a new name and new administrators. I can live with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      Okay, so I feel like telling truth today!

For the R7, you have two tiers:

Mankato, BG, maybe Tech, maybe Northern (given the commitment at/after the hiring of Potulny) definitely have the resources and drive.
      Maybe Bemidji, Ferris, Lake State do; maybe they don't.

I could see any of the four schools in the top tier joining most any league in the country, if invited, and at minimum holding their own. I don't see the other three doing that.

So the question, then, is this: do you want to add a fourth school in that second category, especially when two of the three that you do have are the two most far-flung schools in two of the smallest metropolitan areas in the league?

It never fails me that a bunch of schools from a bunch of podunk towns in the Midwest want to look down on a university with an amazing research reputation, two Division II titles, and a metro area that is larger than the six non-BG schools combined, twice over. Okay then. More people live in my suburb of Huntsville than live in Bemidji, Big Rapids, Houghton, and the Soo.

GFM
      Mankato has the biggest commitment. BG, Tech, NMU & Bemidji all show pretty solid support to their programs as well.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
        Suppose the Alaska schools fold up shop and the Rogue 7 leave, does UAH keep the rights to the WCHA brand like BG has the CCHA? I would think that it stays because of the women's league. If the Rogue 7 accept UAH as #8, that would mean the new league would be the same eight teams with a new name and new administrators. I can live with that.
        The bus will not cross the Mason Dixon Line. It's too far and the Hotel is the best road trip hotel bar none....
        Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 07-12-2019, 08:24 PM.
        Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

• Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
          BG's "actual" population is no where near it's "official" population. There's a large amount of University students that claim residency, yet contribute very little locally.

Off the top of my head, Bowling Green is closer to Huntsville than NMU, Tech, and Bemidji. Travel wise, they'd rather go south in the winter. Competition wise, well......

If Huntsville commits to their new building within the next year, they have a shot at #8. Regardless, WCHA men's hockey is dead.
          Huntsville would also have to significantly increase its budget in a number of areas, recruiting and travel being the most prominent. 20+ hour bus trips don’t do you any favors selling your program on the recruiting trail either.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            I don't agree with this statement at all...unless those 7 are trying to get away from some top WCHA officials? If the Alaska schools fold up shop, and those 7 are ok with keeping UAH there is no reason to leave.
            Complete separation of the men's and women's leagues.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
              FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
              July 11, 2019

"Next step for University of Alaska: Declaration of Financial Exigency"

https://www.webcenter11.com/tvtv/con...512618201.html
              If you get a 404 error, try here:

https://www.webcenter11.com/content/...512618201.html
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                Part of that is because those stories don't play in the media. There has long been a divide between the public and private schools in Hockey East. With the rare exception of one of the UMass teams doing well the state schools inevitably finish in the lower half of the league while the private schools (except Merrimack) compete for Hockey East championships and NCAA tournament appearances.

The private schools could take a few "like minded" members of the ECAC and leave the state schools behind. It would be financially beneficial to to do so. After what happened to the Big East (which BC helped found) and the NCHC I thought this was where we were headed. Three different people told me that wouldn't happen because BC (and particularly Jerry York) was committed to making Hockey East work.

Sure sounds like he places a higher value on loyalty than money. But he's just a Hall of Famer so he probably isn't much of an example.
                Your sarcasm wears thin.

And if you're saying that the BC sports are driven by what Jerry wants, regardless of the bottom-line for all the other programs..?

Please.

Comment

The University of Alaska is expected to file for Financial Exigency Monday BUT University President Jim Johnsen.....
                  Classes for the fall semester will go on as scheduled, he said. Nonacademic programs would be the first targets for rapid cost reduction, including athletics, Johnsen said.

Cost reductions to athletics, no mention of suspending sports for the upcoming season....

His first mention of athletics.

Meantime the legislature says they will meet again Wednesday.....

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    *puts on devil's advocate hat*

And how many of them follow Charger hockey at all, let alone attend Charger hockey games? Or do most of them switch over to basketball once Crimson Tide pigskin is done for the year?
                    Aha! You have found the rub and the flaw in my argument.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      Huntsville would also have to significantly increase its budget in a number of areas, recruiting and travel being the most prominent. 20+ hour bus trips don’t do you any favors selling your program on the recruiting trail either.
                      I wrote this a couple of weeks ago. We also need an AD who will put in the effort to increase attendance and revenue so we can do that stuff.
                      https://uahhockey.com/blog/2019/07/0...ooming-demise/
                      Michael Napier - UAH '97
                      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                      U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                      NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                      CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                      CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

• Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                        I wrote this a couple of weeks ago. We also need an AD who will put in the effort to increase attendance and revenue so we can do that stuff.
                        https://uahhockey.com/blog/2019/07/0...ooming-demise/
                        I’ve been having that conversation from the time Huntsville was looking to join the league. And I’ve felt strongly that, with these things that UAH could not only be competitive, but would have a good chance to be successful.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          I’ve been having that conversation from the time Huntsville was looking to join the league. And I’ve felt strongly that, with these things that UAH could not only be competitive, but would have a good chance to be successful.
                          Right. But at what point do you start to realize it might not ever happen? I think that’s why the Spited 7 did what they did.
                          Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                            Right. But at what point do you start to realize it might not ever happen? I think that’s why the Spited 7 did what they did.
                            possibly but let’s remember just how UAH got here, they lost their league, almost lost their program and played Indy for how long? Things are headed in the right direction and an on-campus rink that’s right right size would go a long way to helping them.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              possibly but let’s remember just how UAH got here, they lost their league, almost lost their program and played Indy for how long? Things are headed in the right direction and an on-campus rink that’s right right size would go a long way to helping them.
                              The new arena has been put in the Master Plan. Unfortunately, funding for it has not.

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                                Okay, so I feel like telling truth today!

For the R7, you have two tiers:

Mankato, BG, maybe Tech, maybe Northern (given the commitment at/after the hiring of Potulny) definitely have the resources and drive.
                                Maybe Bemidji, Ferris, Lake State do; maybe they don't.

I could see any of the four schools in the top tier joining most any league in the country, if invited, and at minimum holding their own. I don't see the other three doing that.

So the question, then, is this: do you want to add a fourth school in that second category, especially when two of the three that you do have are the two most far-flung schools in two of the smallest metropolitan areas in the league?

It never fails me that a bunch of schools from a bunch of podunk towns in the Midwest want to look down on a university with an amazing research reputation, two Division II titles, and a metro area that is larger than the six non-BG schools combined, twice over. Okay then. More people live in my suburb of Huntsville than live in Bemidji, Big Rapids, Houghton, and the Soo.

GFM
                                UAH. Lipstick on a pig. It is what it is.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X