X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New WCHA is dead

Originally posted by broncoinak View Post
    I never understood why anyone takes blame for the whole disaster besides the Big Ten. Everyone was generally happy with their situation including most of the Big Ten hockey fans, but they couldn't leave well enough alone.

All these other dominoes falling were inevitable. I don't really blame anyone in the NCHC and I don't blame the seven schools now except for the shady way they handled it.
    Barry Alvarez is to blame but you can't lay the whole thing on the BTHC and none of it on the NCHC - none of which does anyone any good but it it makes you feel better have at it.

Comment

UAA, UA(F), and UAH _have_ been supporting D-I hockey. For decades.
      Awesome....then I'm sure they have nothing to worry about.

The other conferences are already lining up to have such well supported programs in their conferences.
      You should be glad...now the rest of us F-ing *** holes in Ohio and Michigan won't be holding you back from being truly successful up there.

And you UAA fans on your high horses. You know how many WCHA member schools they consulted about moving their home game to basically a HS rink.....zero. NOT A SINGLE ONE. They went straight to the league and got them to waive the 2,500 seat minimum, with 0% input from the other schools. That....from what I've heard was the last straw.

UAH has been warned for years to step up funding or get out.......didn't take it serious I guess.....they probably are now. They fund/build that new arena and they will be fine.
      Last edited by bravohankins; 07-02-2019, 01:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by woodenskates View Post
        I can't dispute the choices made by the devious 7. They each have the right to decide how to advance their program in the way they think best. Presumably, they have taken their action in a reasoned and responsible way taking the bylaws of their conference into consideration. It will have a huge impact on the Alaska programs and a lesser impact on UAH. However, I remain disappointed with the lack of communication and respect that they have shown the 3 "red-headed step children" that they abandoned. Communication shows respect. They have behaved poorly.
        +1.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          But I don't know how to save a program!

GFM
          personally i think UAH will end up being the 8th team.

who else is out there?

ASU? highly doubt that... they are just fine as an independent...

the AK teams will become one... UAF, the flagship institution.

but the dream pick, for a tech fan, would be UMD.

UAH i think would be a better fit for AHA...

but again, i think it will end up being the 8th team.

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
            SLU hockey: 9 seasons
            UIC hockey: 15 years
            WSU hockey: 9 seasons
            KSU hockey: 12 seasons
            NAU hockey: 5 seasons
            USI hockey: 8 seasons
            Fair hockey: 6 in D-I; 22 in D-III
            Fin hockey: 8 seasons
            Iona hockey: 5 seasons in D-I; 22 in D-III

UAH hockey: 26 seasons in D-I (40 overall, counting club)
            BGSU hockey: 50 seasons in D-I (39 at the time they turned it around)

GFM
            You don’t think BGSU had their act together in the ‘80s when they had Jerry York behind the bench and were going to NCAA’s basically every year, including winning it all in ‘84 and one or two additional Frozen Four appearances??

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
              You don’t think BGSU had their act together in the ‘80s when they had Jerry York behind the bench and were going to NCAA’s basically every year, including winning it all in ‘84 and one or two additional Frozen Four appearances??
              I think BG only made the Frozen Four one time in the '80's, the year they won the championship.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                I think BG only made the Frozen Four one time in the '80's, the year they won the championship.
                You are correct. They did reach the FF in 1978 as well, along with NCAA bids in 77, 78, 79, 82, 84, 87, 88, 89, and 1990.
                Last edited by altazo; 07-02-2019, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
                  personally i think UAH will end up being the 8th team.

who else is out there?

ASU? highly doubt that... they are just fine as an independent...

the AK teams will become one... UAF, the flagship institution.

but the dream pick, for a tech fan, would be UMD.

UAH i think would be a better fit for AHA...

but again, i think it will end up being the 8th team.
                  The CCHA proved that leagues don't mind rejecting UAH to stay at an even number.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                    Given that Doug Ross played for BG under Mason, and given that I'm over 40 and care about college hockey history, of course not. I was making a very specific point: lumping UAH — a long-time D-I program — in with the SLUs and UICs of the world is specious baloney. Does UAH come close to BG in terms of D-I success? Absolutely, positively not. But we're not a Johnny-come-lately. Kill D-II and force us to play up? UAH has done it — twice. But I was specifically referring to where BG was in its history in relation to all of the other schools mentioned by the previous poster(s). BG had fallen much farther, but it's not like they're the only person who'd been running a D-I program for a hot second.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                      The CCHA proved that leagues don't mind rejecting UAH to stay at an even number.

GFM
                      The Tom Anastos lead CCHA also told UAH to pound sand when UNO announced they were leaving the conference in 2009, and had an odd number for two years (2011-13).
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
                        ok...

so how do we solve this within these two years?

if you had to pick, let's say, seven other schools to be in a conference with, who would they be?

got to start somewhere...

Comment

I'm betting that UAH will be #8 when the dust settles. They would still be a long trip for most of the teams but nothing like multiple flights and multiple time zones to AK. BG is closer to UAH than MTU, MSU or BSU. From FSU it is closer than BSU and about the same as MSU.

I would not be surprised to hear that UAH was actually part of the discussions but held out of the joint press release as a way to push harder to get funding for the new rink.

Comment

What we need is someone with the authority and respect to take the WCHA, AHA and maybe a couple of ECAC/NCHC teams and make three conferences based on geography. Possibly a east/south league, a Great Lakes league and a western league. That makes travel much easier, eliminates time zone problems and fuels rivalries because you are now in the same conference as your neighbors. Ferris State and Western Michigan are 100 miles apart. Miami and BG are 200 but there isn't a heated rivalry because they're in different conferences.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                              I'm betting that UAH will be #8 when the dust settles. They would still be a long trip for most of the teams but nothing like multiple flights and multiple time zones to AK. BG is closer to UAH than MTU, MSU or BSU. From FSU it is closer than BSU and about the same as MSU.

I would not be surprised to hear that UAH was actually part of the discussions but held out of the joint press release as a way to push harder to get funding for the new rink.
                              could not agree more...

there is a lot we don't know about.

the biggest stretch would be bemidji to huntsville at around 1,200 miles.

in my dreams tech would be in a conference with;

LSSU, NMU, UMD, MNSU, BSU, SCSU, and either UMN or UWI.

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
                                could not agree more...

there is a lot we don't know about.

the biggest stretch would be bemidji to huntsville at around 1,200 miles.

in my dreams tech would be in a conference with;

LSSU, NMU, UMD, MNSU, BSU, SCSU, and either UMN or UWI.

Since MN or WI won't leave the B1G, I say bring in FSU. Michigan Division: MTU, NMU, LSSU and FSU. Minnesota Division: MSU, BSU, SCSU and UMD

That would allow BG (Full D-1 School) to join ND as associate member of B1G bringing them to 8 teams

Comment

Working...
                                X