X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New WCHA is dead

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    I'm the son of a career USAF officer, the nephew of a career USAR/ANG NCO, and the brother-in-law of a career USN officer and current USNA instructor. Both grandfathers were in WWII. I work with military women and men turned into colleagues and astronaut teammates on an everyday basis. The sacrifice in risk increase, time from home, and low pay don't go unnoticed.

But you don't have to have my background to have respect and pride in women and men in the armed forces. All you have to know is that folks increase their risk profile by taking on this work. The training is tough. The hours are hard. You can dislike the business that they're in and the people that send them into harm's way (or do extended deployments for peacetime shows of force), but you really should respect the people as a group. [But it's America and feel free to disagree.]

GFM
    Once again, thank you Geof! I retired as a Major in 2011 (I was also prior enlisted up to SSgt). In Iraq, I was part of a specialized Explosive Ordanance Disposal (EOD) Unit as an Intelligence Officer supporting an Army Brigade Combat Team. In particular, I was in charge of units in Mosul, Tikrit, Kirkuk and Bakubah which was known as Multinational Division-North or (MND-N). I served with the Army on a 12 month deployment there. Six months before I was in Qatar! So, was pretty busy 2007 - 2008 timeframe. I lost one Airman (TSgt) (blown up in convoy IED) and 3 to mental health issues during the deployment. I led 26 there. I am a graduate of UAA class of 97.
    Last edited by Wolfman; 07-18-2019, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      Mostly congregated in NW Ohio and southern Minnesota. Let’s face some facts, BG only wants to look east and MSUM would be the little
      spoon tonight if the NCHC would just respond to that tinder message.

If I was any one of the other five, I’d grow eyes in the back of my head.
      A lot of truth has been told about the situation, but BG is looking east? East? Huh? Unless by east you mean Great Lakes? I can't figure that one out. Though I agree with the MSU analysis.

My brother-in-law recently made brigadier general in the Army Reserves. Two tours in Iraq, at the time he was captain of a company of engineers who went out every day and defused IEDs on the road between Baghdad and the airport. Takes a certain kind of bravery and smarts to deal with the booby-traps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
        Ya think?
        I think this is sad for the young people in Alaska. He is crippling their futures. 🙁

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
          Mostly congregated in NW Ohio and southern Minnesota. Let’s face some facts, BG only wants to look east and MSUM would be the little
          spoon tonight if the NCHC would just respond to that tinder message.

If I was any one of the other five, I’d grow eyes in the back of my head.
          I was thinking of the governor and his pals, but this too.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
            I think this is sad for the young people in Alaska. He is crippling their futures. 🙁
            "Fck you, as long as I get mine" is the Republican pathos since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              So let me get this right. The bottom line is that the Gov wants to continue to give residents a significant check from the permanent fund. In order to do that he has to cut the University budget and layoff thousands, and that's what he is doing. He could reduce the amount and residents would still get 900 each but he'd rather cut the university.
              Similar to feeding a man fish vs teaching him how to fish so he can feed himself. Wouldn't a better educated population be able to earn more than an annual check from the permanent fund?
              GO DU !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                "Fck you, as long as I get mine" is the Republican pathos since 1980.
                Ayuh

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  So let me get this right. The bottom line is that the Gov wants to continue to give residents a significant check from the permanent fund. In order to do that he has to cut the University budget and layoff thousands, and that's what he is doing. He could reduce the amount and residents would still get 900 each but he'd rather cut the university.
                  Bigly brain power at work there.
                  If I had a cool pic or saying it would go here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hal9K View Post
                    Bigly brain power at work there.
                    https://youtu.be/V307rwBvj_A

Comment

• Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                      Similar to feeding a man fish vs teaching him how to fish so he can feed himself. Wouldn't a better educated population be able to earn more than an annual check from the permanent fund?
                      A better educated population would never have elected this goober in this first place. Alaska unfortunately has more than its share of anti-gubment end-of-the-roaders who get all of their news from Facebook memes.
                      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                        A better educated population would never have elected this goober in this first place.
                        Hence the need to kill public education...

Comment

All this makes me kind of ashamed to work in oil and gas. Never have worked in Alaska (almost did for Haliburton but didn’t—would have been cool but I’m probably better off not having done it). Liberal extremism is idealism and a distorted sense of reality, conservative extremism is plain greed in these circumstances.
                          I wanna go fast!

Comment

joe bertagna as interim commissioner for the newnewWCHA/newCCHA/____ to the get the magnificent seven going like he did for HEA?

he said he is stepping down... not retiring.

hell, maybe they hire him as a consultant for a year or two. seems to be a well liked and respected person...

GO TECH GOLD!

Comment

• Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
                              joe bertagna as interim commissioner for the newnewWCHA/newCCHA/____ to the get the magnificent seven going like he did for HEA?

he said he is stepping down... not retiring.

hell, maybe they hire him as a consultant for a year or two. seems to be a well liked and respected person...

GO TECH GOLD!
                              Hard pass. They need someone proactive who is in the geographic area. He’s neither of those things.
                              Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                                Hard pass. They need someone proactive who is in the geographic area. He’s neither of those things.
                                well... he probably can't name all the great lakes...

i have no idea on him being pro-active or not. again, seems to be well liked and respected.

Comment

Working...
                                X