This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    It's cute how much you patrol the WCHA threads and think we care about your opinions. Begone, troll.
    Good thing your opinion of me and what I do means zero

Sorry your school can no longer try and claim the high ground on the NCHC.
    We tried explaining that this is a business not charity...you didn't listen.
    I feel bad for the fans and players but this doesn't shock me at all.
    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Re: New WCHA is dead

Comment

A reminder: SCSU was committed to stay in the WCHA with its other D2 "like minded schools" for four months after the NCHC breakup until the donors whined about taking donations away because they couldn't see NoDak come to town as often.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
          Good thing your opinion of me and what I do means zero

Sorry your school can no longer try and claim the high ground on the NCHC.
          We tried explaining that this is a business not charity...you didn't listen.
          I feel bad for the fans and players but this doesn't shock me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            A reminder: SCSU was committed to stay in the WCHA with its other D2 "like minded schools" for four months after the NCHC breakup until the donors whined about taking donations away because they couldn't see NoDak come to town as often.
            And which of the 7 schools will have donors whine about taking donations because they won't see UA_ come to town as often?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Madison Husky View Post
              It's hard to go .500 in NCHC or other non-conference games when you're always playing on the road in their barns against the defending national champions.
              Fixed.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                Do you have documentation to back this claim up? I ask because according to St. Cloud State's 2011-17 NCAA financial reports contributions to the hockey program have accounted for less than 2% of reported revenues for the sport. For those years the dollar amounts ranged from a low of $6,000 (0.2% of revenues) in 2013 to a high of $56,000 (1.9% of revenues) in 2014. In 2010 just over $241 thousand was donated, but that is an outlier, with the next best year coming in 2018 when just over $81 thousand (3.2% of revenue) was donated to hockey. And although donations rose $50,000 in the first season in the NCHC it was only 1.7% of hockey revenues for 2014. Furthermore, donations dropped the next two years before recovering some in 2017 before increasing 2.7 times in 2018. While donors may have whined, I seriously doubt that is the reason the school joined the NCHC. BTW, the average increase in annual donations of about $30,000 (I did not include the 2010 contributions in the calculation) is not even close to covering the average increase in annual travel costs of $103,000.

Speaking of St. Cloud State, does anyone happen to know why the school has reduced the amount of aid offered the past several years? While I was adding the information from St. Cloud State for 2017 & 2018 I noticed that for both those years the school only awarded 14.6 & 14.7 scholarships for the men and 13 & 13.8 for the women. They also only awarded 15.5 (men) & 13.9 (women) scholarships in 2016, while from 2010 through 2015 they had awarded between 16.8-17.9 scholarships for the men and 16.1-17.4 scholarships for the women.

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                  Do you have documentation to back this claim up?
                  There was lots of virtual ink spent in columns written about how the locals reacted, but that era seems to have been erased from SCTimes.com thanks to Gannet Media; and isn't available through Google or Archive.org either.

Seems I have lost the receipts to this one.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                    Speaking of St. Cloud State, does anyone happen to know why the school has reduced the amount of aid offered the past several years? While I was adding the information from St. Cloud State for 2017 & 2018 I noticed that for both those years the school only awarded 14.6 & 14.7 scholarships for the men and 13 & 13.8 for the women. They also only awarded 15.5 (men) & 13.9 (women) scholarships in 2016, while from 2010 through 2015 they had awarded between 16.8-17.9 scholarships for the men and 16.1-17.4 scholarships for the women.

Sean
                    I can't speak directly for St Cloud, but it's entirely possible that the rest of the scholarships were covered in other ways. Need based awards, academic achievement awards, etc. Just because a student is awarded a full athletic scholarship doesn't mean they aren't encouraged to apply for other aid (scholarships and grants) first to reduce the financials of the team.

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                      I can't speak directly for St Cloud, but it's entirely possible that the rest of the scholarships were covered in other ways. Need based awards, academic achievement awards, etc. Just because a student is awarded a full athletic scholarship doesn't mean they aren't encouraged to apply for other aid (scholarships and grants) first to reduce the financials of the team.
                      UAA sometimes splits scholarships, almost the whole track team is on a half/half+ scholarship.
                      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        Do you have documentation to back this claim up? I ask because according to St. Cloud State's 2011-17 NCAA financial reports contributions to the hockey program have accounted for less than 2% of reported revenues for the sport. For those years the dollar amounts ranged from a low of $6,000 (0.2% of revenues) in 2013 to a high of $56,000 (1.9% of revenues) in 2014. In 2010 just over $241 thousand was donated, but that is an outlier, with the next best year coming in 2018 when just over $81 thousand (3.2% of revenue) was donated to hockey. And although donations rose $50,000 in the first season in the NCHC it was only 1.7% of hockey revenues for 2014. Furthermore, donations dropped the next two years before recovering some in 2017 before increasing 2.7 times in 2018. While donors may have whined, I seriously doubt that is the reason the school joined the NCHC. BTW, the average increase in annual donations of about $30,000 (I did not include the 2010 contributions in the calculation) is not even close to covering the average increase in annual travel costs of $103,000.
                        Maybe they were major donors to the school as a whole, not particularly the hockey team. Was there any change in unearmarked donations to the athletic department?

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                          No doubt true, but most schools then give the unused partial to someone else. That's what makes St. Cloud's situation unusual. Unless the coach said, "Look, I could give another kid a partial, but he's never going to play for us anyway."

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                            Maybe they were major donors to the school as a whole, not particularly the hockey team. Was there any change in unearmarked donations to the athletic department?
                            Yes, unmarked donations dropped by $60,000 the first year the team was in the NCHC, by another $25,000 the second year, and a further $16, 000 the third year before increasing by $94,000 the fourth year and increasing another $57,000 the fifth year. Again, donations to hockey did increase the first year in the NCHC by $50,000, but was offset by the loss of $60,000 to athletics in general.
                            Sean
                            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                            BU Hockey highlights and extras
                            NCAA Hockey Financials
                            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                              No doubt true, but most schools then give the unused partial to someone else. That's what makes St. Cloud's situation unusual. Unless the coach said, "Look, I could give another kid a partial, but he's never going to play for us anyway."
                              I'm saying maybe the team as a whole had enough scholarships awarded, that they only needed 14.5 or whatever to cover everybody.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                Yes Tech fans have been since the NCHC formed...we know this well.
                                "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                                Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                                Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                                Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                                Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X