This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New WCHA is dead

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why the burden of having both Alaska schools and an Alabama program that hasn't had a pulse in over a decade falls on these seven schools. Just because every other program in college hockey called "NOT IT!" first, they escape blame and/or responsibility?

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      I'm sorry but it's likely that next year will be the last year for them and possibly for UAA also. I think UA will find a home somewhere.
      I think this whole thing stinks. And I'm totally disgusted by the antics of our joint AD's.
      If you go back about 1.5 years you get to watch a video of the ASU AD who was/ is this arrogant jerk who thinks the world revolves around him. Maybe it rubs off.
      I'm not sure what you expect? I understand the frustration, but Michigan Tech and the rest need to worry about their own well being. If they can't sustain in the current situation, there is no reason to stay. UAH and UAA have consistently been bottom ten in PWR. Playing those teams at least 6 times a year does nothing but hurt the chances of multiple WCHA teams making the tournament. You've heard Joe talk about recruiting struggles in the current situation, losing players to better leagues. This should help that situation, not to mention other aspects of all of this.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
        I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why the burden of having both Alaska schools and an Alabama program that hasn't had a pulse in over a decade falls on these seven schools. Just because every other program in college hockey called "NOT IT!" first, they escape blame and/or responsibility?
        How about all the Western teams in one league? The Alaskas, Denver, CC, ASU, Omaha, St, Clouud, ND? Not elite enough for the NaCHos? Will trade Miami and Western for Mankato and Bemidji. Who, I would hope, kick NaCHo ^ss.
        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
          How about all the Western teams in one league? The Alaskas, Denver, CC, ASU, Omaha, St, Clouud, ND? Not elite enough for the NaCHos? Will trade Miami and Western for Mankato and Bemidji. Who, I would hope, kick NaCHo ^ss.
          I think Chris Dilks was right back in 2017. The answer is let North Dakota into the Big Ten like they've allowed Notre Dame. That removes the cash cow from the NCHC and allows them to restructure in a more suitable way, geographically
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

What a bunch of BS:

“After extensive discussion and significant due diligence, it made sense to everyone involved to move in this direction. The name conveys the current geographic alignment of our members and the CCHA brand has a tremendous amount of equity and goodwill associated with it. What’s old is new again and we look forward to refreshing the brand and identity to fully capture the energy and passion of the institutions it represents.”

What's old is old again.
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              ...but Michigan Tech and the rest need to worry about their own well being. ...
              Careful, talk like that isn't accepted by a few around here.

I was chastised on this board for this line of thinking when I supported the CCHA staying at 11 teams after the WCHA poached UNO. I was told that maybe my university, which silently was struggling with their budget issues, along with the other CCHA schools at that time should get themselves straightened out *while* accepting UAH.

For the good of the sport, I was told.

Then the NCHC broke away from the WCHA.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                Careful, talk like that isn't accepted by a few around here.

I was chastised on this board for this line of thinking when I supported the CCHA staying at 11 teams after the WCHA poached UNO. I was told that maybe my university, which silently was struggling with their budget issues, along with the other CCHA schools at that time should get themselves straightened out *while* accepting UAH.

For the good of the sport, I was told.

Then the NCHC broke away from the WCHA.
                Look, I want all these teams to survive but putting this burden on 6 Division II schools and BGSU isn't the way to do it. I really appreciated the fact that Michigan Tech and the rest of the "WCHA" which included NMU at the time accepted all the leftovers from the CCHA to form what we had but its not working. I think there is a difference between helping these programs and hurting themselves. We need to accept the fact that it wasn't really working both on and off the ice. Alaska is obviously doing great this year but their facility situation is troubling. My biggest question in all of this is how FSU gets to ride along. That feels like it has something to do with being BGSU's closest opponent and the GLIAC relationship because beyond that I don't see it with that facility.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  Look, I want all these teams to survive but putting this burden on 6 Division II schools and BGSU isn't the way to do it. I really appreciated the fact that Michigan Tech and the rest of the "WCHA" which included NMU at the time accepted all the leftovers from the CCHA to form what we had but its not working. I think there is a difference between helping these programs and hurting themselves. We need to accept the fact that it wasn't really working both on and off the ice. Alaska is obviously doing great this year but their facility situation is troubling. My biggest question in all of this is how FSU gets to ride along. That feels like it has something to do with being BGSU's closest opponent and the GLIAC relationship because beyond that I don't see it with that facility.
                  FSU has had a tough go on ice the last couple years but when the nWCHA formed they were one of the stronger teams in the group. It's a lot easier to overlook subpar facilities when the on-ice product raises the tide of the league overall.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I would also like someone to answer whether the money that is lining consulting firms' pockets from the NHL and College Hockey Inc. for them to put out these feasibility studies for schools that will NEVER add hockey would be better spent on trying to keep the schools we do have afloat.

But then all these college sports consulting firms wouldn't get to make their six figures with nothing ever happening.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                      FSU has had a tough go on ice the last couple years but when the nWCHA formed they were one of the stronger teams in the group. It's a lot easier to overlook subpar facilities when the on-ice product raises the tide of the league overall.

They have fallen off the further removed they are from commitments while they were in the CCHA.

Comment

They have fallen off the further removed they are from commitments while they were in the CCHA.
                        I would guess their recruiting took a big hit going from the CCHA where they had 3 B1Gs and natural rival Western and traded them for two MN teams, UAH & UAA. Even Tech probably isn't a favourite trip for them. Throw in their facilities and it's a tough sell.

Comment

I think Chris Dilks was right back in 2017. The answer is let North Dakota into the Big Ten like they've allowed Notre Dame. That removes the cash cow from the NCHC and allows them to restructure in a more suitable way, geographically
                          It was 2016 and yep:
                          https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...a-north-dakota
                          Michael Napier - UAH '97
                          uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                          U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                          NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                          CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                          CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                            Did this week promised news on the new league come out yet?

I would welcome St. Thomas. But I'd still like to keep Huntsville. Love going to games there - nice arena - nice fans - great town - good food - historic - scenic.
                            We northern boys also love having breakfast at Waffle House. On my last trip there, it was October so we played golf. Dreamland Barbeque was also a winner.

Comment

Let's take a step further back:

Why does TeamX of the CCHA7 have to sponsor 14 (FCS) or 16 (FBS) sports to be Division I?

What would be wrong with schools picking the sports their fan bases are interested in and just supporting those?

I put part of this problem at the feet of the NCAA and it's divisional rules.

You shouldn't have to have rowing and bowling and softball and tennis when all your fans want to see is hockey and hoop.
                              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I agree with Dilks (and now I need a shower).

I believe the problem was money (I hope nobody is surprised): Would UND get a cut of BTN revenues? What about UND's regional television deal with Midco Sports Network? How about gates?

Then toss in that B1G elitist attitude: North Dakota? Puh-leese. What do they have*?

*Just a Med School with two-way physician training agreements with Mayo Clinic; a law school; a premier worldwide aviation school; a world recognized energy and environment research center; engineering; business; 120 graduate degree options; a Carnegie "Doctoral Universities – High research activity" university; top athletic facilities including REA, a domed football stadium, and a domed practice field (football) with a 300M indoor track.
                                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X