Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston College Eagles 2019-20 - No Chit!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Eagles 2019-20 - No Chit!

Am I correct that the play in overtime is something that has only been around the last 10 years or so? It seems to me it is something that people think shouldn’t get called as much as it does and perhaps that is part of the reason the ref let play go.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      Am I correct that the play in overtime is something that has only been around the last 10 years or so? It seems to me it is something that people think shouldn’t get called as much as it does and perhaps that is part of the reason the ref let play go.
      The rule of slashing hasn't changed much in a long time I don't think. I think one aspect of the rule a lot of people miss is that any "Swing" of the stick towards an opponent whether it hits something (opposing stick or opposing player) or not is actually an act that should be penalized as stated specifically in the rulebook. We get some confusion, and rightfully so, on the 'stick check' … which has always been a part of hockey and always will be. That however is something that has to be less than a "forceful chop"... I'd like to think you have to have some "force" to chop a stick out of a guy's hands. And sure, you can argue he didn't have a good grip on the stick and in some cases it's a valid argument.

It is what it is. It may seem like it's not a huge impact play but it's a double whammy in that you take the stick out which is going to win you the puck and you force a defender to either retrieve the stick in the corner and take him out of the play or force him to defend below the goal line without a stick. You see that play out of a scoring area and assume because of the location that it's not directly affecting a scoring opportunity but in reality, it led to one very quickly.

It was reminiscent of the old days of Walshy, those teams loved slashing sticks and then engaging in even more shenanigans after the fact (2001 regional in Worcester had some tremendous examples).
      Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 01-27-2020, 09:25 AM.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

You really don't see that slashing play go uncalled these days. And you're not just gonna drop your stick to try and draw a call there. It looked like the ref across the ice was looking right at it. Don't know if he was obstructed by something but they just blew the call.

From a BC perspective, totally agree that they had their chances in regulation and shouldn't have let the game get to OT.

Comment

Swayman is a good goalie. Very good. Even so, I think this weekend was partly an indication that despite significant improvement this year, they still lack a bit in the finishing department.
          The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
          BC - 12
          BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

That's true too. Should have put both games away really with all the PPs Saturday.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              You really don't see that slashing play go uncalled these days. And you're not just gonna drop your stick to try and draw a call there. It looked like the ref across the ice was looking right at it. Don't know if he was obstructed by something but they just blew the call.

From a BC perspective, totally agree that they had their chances in regulation and shouldn't have let the game get to OT.
              He was obstructed. And since it went behind the net probably it was a case of swallowing the whistle in OT. And it took a fluke bounce of the shoulder or mask. But let’s be honest, there are bounces that result in bad losses. Maine has had a ton of those in the last ten years.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                Well that was a fine mess of a weekend.

Didn't see any of the Saturday game but upon reviewing the highlights there was some luck to tie the game as the tying goal was a Mike Lephart Special, looked like a snipe but ramped up off a defender's stick to go top corner. Also, absolutely insane to NOT call that slash in overtime that set up the gamewinning goal. That being said, if you're in OT against Maine and need late goals in the 3rd to even get to overtime each night, you're simply doing something wrong. Time to wake up, move on and stop the bleeding and put forth some serious effort.

Also, that Friday night 2nd period was just scary bad. There's a red flag there that even with TV timeouts, this team couldn't gather themselves and get composed to put together a good shift at any point in that period. But... you do have to credit Maine their structure and awareness of the situation was incredible and their positioning in that period was tremendous. Giles is underrated and they miss him dearly. A few certain Dmen are having a rough go of it since the strength of schedule has ramped up the past few weeks. We're perhaps just one Dman short of where we need to be to be a true national contender. I do still think we have three good lines and a very nice fourth line as well. Goaltending is obviously there. Defense... improved from past years with the freshmen coming in and transfer in from Fink but... that's my concern right now.
                Agree defence is their achilles heel

They only dropped one spot in the rankings which surprised me considering they dropped two to Maine
                NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

A good road win against a quality opponent. THAT is how you bounce from last weekend's disappointment. Well done. On to the Beanpot.
                  The ORIGINAL Cross Check

BC - 12
                  BU - 2

Comment

• Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
                    A good road win against a quality opponent. THAT is how you bounce from last weekend's disappointment. Well done. On to the Beanpot.
                    Yeah, nice job boys .

Comment

congratulations on the igles win monday and spot in the beanpot championship!!
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Nice win, much needed after last week. Hutsko is just amazing, beautiful back hand score. That he did not even get on the list for the Hobey is just a crime. Maybe that will motivate him to come back next year, he is a joy to watch. Like to see Mcphee score, that is two games in a row, most of the year he is not the score sheet for penalties not goals. Newhook's goal was all hand eye coordination, took it right out of the air, Murray had no chance.

Comment

Originally posted by DNAEagle View Post
                          Newhook's goal was all hand eye coordination, took it right out of the air, Murray had no chance.
                          I do believe that young man can play this game some.
                          The ORIGINAL Cross Check

BC - 12
                          BU - 2

Comment

Absolute snipe by Newhook on his goal. Great start so far. The set up on Giles goal was awesome too

Comment

Jesus these guys are flying ... hope this is sustainable and they don’t lose this energy. Here comes the BU PP. Eek.
                              Originally posted by reBlur
                              the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

• i like that new hook kid. He should have come to Maine.

Comment

Working...
                                X