Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston College Eagles 2019-20 - No Chit!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    One last thing on John Muse. For anyone who was at or watched the regional final against Miami in 2008 (as a Freshman) he single handedly allowed that game to continue in OT. He was awesome. York had to use a timeout because Miami was all over them. And in his 4 FF games, he allowed a total of 3 goals.
    BC started with the idea of retiring numbers like the Bruins and Celtics, but quickly realized that they would run out of numbers. It would take a very special player to get his numbered retired now.

Team looked very strong tonight. One last line change I would make would be to put #22 on the 3rd line and #27 on the 4th line.

Go Eagles!

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      One last thing on John Muse. For anyone who was at or watched the regional final against Miami in 2008 (as a Freshman) he single handedly allowed that game to continue in OT. He was awesome. York had to use a timeout because Miami was all over them. And in his 4 FF games, he allowed a total of 3 goals.
      And that was the key game that triggered that 6-7 years of dominance . Still one of the best BC hockey moments ever .

Comment

• Re: Boston College Eagles 2019-20 - No Chit!

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
        So there are two different categories? Number retired and jersey retired?
        That’s what’s happened up to now.
        Originally posted by mookie1995
        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Thought they came out flat in the first, were unreal in the 2nd and decent in the 3rd but Northeastern was playing with a lot of desperation in the 3rd. Thought Northeastern focused more on stopping the freshman line than the 1st line so it was great to see the 1st line take control. Tonight is going to be a real battle, Northeastern started getting chippy and mouthy in the 3rd, I expect to continue and escalate into tonight. Absolutely need to stay out of the box.

As far as jerseys retired, does anyone have a full list? I can’t find one and it’s not in the media guide.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            A certain unnamed pinhead made a surprise visit to Conte on Brian Gionta night last weekend and we were talking about all the great games (and bad ones... 07 MSU game) we've seen. This game was epic and yes, absolutely, Muse singlehandedly won that game with his overtime heroics prior to Whitney scoring full out Bobby Orr style in OT. So many interesting things in this game:

- 3 goals in 1:58 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TuXBljG0Po). The place wasn't even full but my God did it get loud in the Centrum. Most people there were BC fans and it was pandemonium.
            - The Whitney goal in and of itself (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLBS2hTe98A) was something that will live on in BC history forever.
            - The Muse performance in OT. One man show out there for a bit.
            - I also credit Crazy Nick Petrecki for setting the tone in this one by bodyslamming Miami's best player I believe on the first shift or two of the game.
            - The timeout in OT. York in his prime. BC was getting run out of the building and he went into Jerry Yoda mode, took the timeout and got their attention. Minutes later, it was over. I'd love to get the York circa 2008 back for a few more seasons.

I'd put this Miami game in 2008 and Michigan 2004 right near the top of the list for most underrated games ever. Some of the 1998-2001 regionals are also up there, a lot of insanely good games that are forgotten after BC started ripping off titles every other year for a while.

And while we're talking about Muse, a lot of people like to minimize what he did but a lot of times those BC teams needed a little time to get going and he was always there to hold it down until they did. In the big games, he was the best. Also I'd like to note a huge breakaway save he made in the 2010 Detroit semifinal vs Miami. Who knows how that game goes if he doesn't make that save. Hours later, it was blowout and another epic chokejob for Coach "Failboat" Enrico Blasi, who told his team in a pregame speech how BC couldn't skate with his Redhawks. And that BC team was a disgustingly good skating team with Kreider and Atkinson in addition to a whole set of other NHL caliber players like Gibbons and Whitney. Not exactly a Herb Brooks moment for Coach Failboat.

ps - thanks to Grant for keeping those videos up.
            Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 02-21-2020, 07:51 AM.
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Also FWIW BC's magic number is now 8 and could go as low as 4 with a BC win and a UMass-Amherst loss tonight.
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglekeeper View Post
                BC started with the idea of retiring numbers like the Bruins and Celtics, but quickly realized that they would run out of numbers. It would take a very special player to get his numbered retired now.

Team looked very strong tonight. One last line change I would make would be to put #22 on the 3rd line and #27 on the 4th line.

Go Eagles!
                With 13 not in use since Gaudreau left I bet he's getting that honor.

It is a little strange seeing Rasanen on the 4th line considering how hot he was earlier in the year. I agree that I'd like to see him in a top nine role if they can finagle it. But, that might not be in the cards especially since they have won 4 in a row. Considering how dominant Newhook has been, it's quite possible Rasanen was just a product of playing with him. So with the freshman line playing like it is now, no need to make any changes.

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                That’s what’s happened up to now.
                Correct me if I'm wrong but right now Emma is the only guy with a retired #? But 13 hasn't been worn since Gaudreau. So that could be two retired numbers. I guess my confusion is with Mottau. He also won the Hobey but #3 is still being worn (McInnis). Maybe they decide to take that out of circulation at some point and you end up with retired numbers of 3, 13 and 16 for the Hobey winners?

Originally posted by sigx15 View Post
                Thought Northeastern focused more on stopping the freshman line than the 1st line so it was great to see the 1st line take control.
                This is a key development. If the current lineup structure is what York goes with down the stretch you really have two very good scoring lines where the opponent needs to decide who they want to put their best guys on. Inherently should give BC an advantage with one of the two lines every night. One thing I haven't paid close enough attention to is how BC is deploying the 3rd line. Have they been using that McBain line on the opponent's top scorers? Might be something to watch for tonight in a home game where you have last change.

Comment

I forgot how many crazy good regionals games we've seen/won since 1998.

- Michigan 2004 OT winner Eaves
                  - Miami 2008 OT winner Whitney
                  - Michigan State 2000 EAG goal forces OT .. OT winner Farkas (vs Ryan Miller). This game was truly bonkers with several lead changes, SHGs, PPGs, an EAG, and a BC 5-min major in OT that was just about to expire as Farkas scored.
                  - Maine 2001 Walshy gets booted. Great game, great environment. The end of an era for Maine; they stopped cheating and thus stopped winning.
                  - BU 2005. LOL. 5-0.
                  - Yale 2010. BC ran every Yale goalie out of the building, then started playing all the freshmen with a huge lead only to see Yale make it tight. Ended up 9-7. Was it Carl Sneep that scored a goal on Rondeau from like 175 feet away?
                  - UML 2014. Never thought they'd win this one after trailing going into the 2nd intermission with Hellebuyck. Fitzgerald's best moment as an eagle was tying this game up early in the 3rd to give BC a chance to win it. I was shocked they won upon leaving the building.

The ND 1999 game and Wisconsin 2000 games were pretty incredible on the regional side of things as well. Wisconsin fans lost their minds a week later when Reinprecht didn't win the Hobey and it was given to Mottau and they were VERY bitter about that for a good number of years until 2006. Both were #1 in the country and BC went out West. Something to remind a certain mongo North Dakota scribe when he will predictably lament BC's placement in Worcester this March.

Pretty insane BC has not played in an NCAA tournament game since 2016 FF semifinal vs. Quinnipiac and has not won one since that 2016 regional win against Duluth.
                  Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 02-21-2020, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Make of this what you will but BC is 13-3-1 in road/neutral site games this year including 12-0-1 in the last 13. Yet they are just 7-5 at home.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                      UMD .5741 1 RPI 0 .5725 BC

A lof of things will shift with COP stuff but... if BC can surpass UMD in the RPI rating, it flips a lot as the tiebreaker and would land BC at 4th in the PWR all other things equal. 1 seed in the Woo is not all that crazy. Something to aim for in addition to the Hockey East trophies.
                      Ya the RPI is huge, they basically just need to keep winning. They win the hockey East tournament, it’ll be a surprise if they aren’t a #1 seed in my mind but a lot can happen between now and then.

What I don’t know is if this happens, which it looks like it could:

BC wins the PairWise comparison against Duluth but loses it against Denver then Duluth wins the PairWise Comparison vs. Denver. I think RPI breaks the 3 way tie but I don’t know

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                        A certain unnamed pinhead made a surprise visit to Conte on Brian Gionta night last weekend and we were talking about all the great games (and bad ones... 07 MSU game) we've seen. This game was epic and yes, absolutely, Muse singlehandedly won that game with his overtime heroics prior to Whitney scoring full out Bobby Orr style in OT. So many interesting things in this game:

- 3 goals in 1:58 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TuXBljG0Po). The place wasn't even full but my God did it get loud in the Centrum. Most people there were BC fans and it was pandemonium.
                        great memories.

that '08 miami game might've been the best non national championship game i've seen. i'm trying to find a box score (uscho & bceagles leads to a dead link) but i remember muse bailing us out over and over in the OT (in the presser it has muse with 10 saves in the 12 minutes before whitney ended it).

i do remember 1 BU fan that would sit behind the net in his candycane jersey every worcester regional that was none too pleased that afternoon

what a bizarre season that was. you have the nodak fogout, the team sitting at 3-4-5 heading into what was the traditional first weekend series vs bu, gerbe's first dive post game celebration to beat BU in the 1st round and exercise those demons, the 6-5 petrecki row the boat winner in the beanpot, the triple OT powerplay winner where UNH fans were ****ed that there was a penalty called when a UNH player broke his stick, threw it at a bc player and then submarined him.

if only my memory could be beneficial for something productive

very good win last night, 2nd period was probably best i've seen all year
                        Last edited by claver2010; 02-21-2020, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sigx15 View Post
                          Ya the RPI is huge, they basically just need to keep winning. They win the hockey East tournament, it’ll be a surprise if they aren’t a #1 seed in my mind but a lot can happen between now and then.

What I don’t know is if this happens, which it looks like it could:

BC wins the PairWise comparison against Duluth but loses it against Denver then Duluth wins the PairWise Comparison vs. Denver. I think RPI breaks the 3 way tie but I don’t know
                          RPI does break any tie*. The easy way to get BC to 4th right now, and it could possibly happen as early as tonight as I just played around with things a slight bit, is BC flips UMD comparison by jumping them in RPI. BC, Denver, and UMD would have 55 Comps and BC would rank the highest of those 3 with the higher RPI and take the 4th spot.

We'll lose tonight now because I just spent 5 mins doing this on the CHN site but... yea, it's not that crazy at all to have things shake out like this. Too many games left to play to start worrying about COPs and that stuff.

*CHN is fairly confident in this tiebreaker but there is nothing necessarily written down that forces the committee to do things this way. It'd be a shock to see it done differently but given that BC lost 2 games to Denver this year, you never know if would they take that into consideration in a tiebreaker situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                            I'd put this Miami game in 2008 and Michigan 2004 right near the top of the list for most underrated games ever. Some of the 1998-2001 regionals are also up there, a lot of insanely good games that are forgotten after BC started ripping off titles every other year for a while.
                            I don't know if the NCAA still produces these things and I haven't looked them up in a while but I have some of these games on DVD (even a couple heartbreakers). Haven't watched any of them in quite some time but I have at least the '01 win over UND and this Michigan game you're talking about. Now I feel like going back and watching it. I wasn't in attendance for this one but did watch on TV. I remember Kaltiainen making a save where he was backing up towards goal line and was able to kick puck off the line with his skate or something very similar to that. BC ended up tying the game late and winning in OT. Ben Eaves had been getting treatment on the bench for an injury and was able to play on and score the game winner. Did he bat the winner out of mid air? I'm gonna have to watch this one again.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                              the triple OT powerplay winner where UNH fans were ****ed that there was a penalty called when a UNH player broke his stick, threw it at a bc player and then submarined him.
                              Ahaha I forgot about that one. That guy was a numbnuts and was known for his stupid penalties (Danny something?).

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                I don't know if the NCAA still produces these things and I haven't looked them up in a while but I have some of these games on DVD (even a couple heartbreakers). Haven't watched any of them in quite some time but I have at least the '01 win over UND and this Michigan game you're talking about. Now I feel like going back and watching it. I wasn't in attendance for this one but did watch on TV. I remember Kaltiainen making a save where he was backing up towards goal line and was able to kick puck off the line with his skate or something very similar to that. BC ended up tying the game late and winning in OT. Ben Eaves had been getting treatment on the bench for an injury and was able to play on and score the game winner. Did he bat the winner out of mid air? I'm gonna have to watch this one again.
                                Yea Matti gave up a dogcrap goal early in the game while he was out of his net but redeemed himself in OT by basically having the puck UNDER his skate blade on the goal line. Play was never stopped and somehow I'll never know but the puck stayed out of the net and eventually ended up in the corner or something as play continued. Ben Eaves came off the bench (from behind the bench where he was getting treatment for some sort of leg injury?) and batted his own rebound past Montoya after his initial shot rolled up into the air. Pretty legendary.

Comment

Working...
                                X