Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston College Eagles 2019-20 - No Chit!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Eagles 2019-20 - No Chit!

Originally posted by eaglekeeper View Post
    I think this was a statement game that this team is not a championship level team. Up 3-1 with Spencer Knight in goal should be an automatic win against a lower level team. The problem is what we have all said for the past few years, this team is just way too small on defense. They have a shot at the HEA tourney, but I’m not expecting any hardware this season. Hopefully, all of the underclass men return next season as none of them are ready for the next level. Getting rid of #3 is addition by subtraction.

Unfortunately, they are beginning to look a lot like Lenny Cegalaski teams. They are now 0-4 in OT games and have lost 3 of the last 4 games, not promising at all.

Go Eagles!
    Haven't posted on here in a while, but had to after Monday night's game. Luke McInnis has been bad for four years, but the penalty he took just didn't make any sense. It reminded me of the scene in Along Came Polly. Ben Stiller just read her children's book, looks totally befuddled asks Jennifer Aniston: "Not trying to be critical, or anything, but... what were you thinking?" I was actually a little surprised Coach York didn't put in either Warren or Helleson at the point for McInnis on that power play. He use to do that occasionally when BC would have a one goal lead late, on the PP, and sub in Patrick Wey for Steven Whitney.

That penalty completely changed the momentum of the game. Not sure how McInnis can act like a leader from here on out. Hopefully the Eagles can stay focused and beat Lowell on Friday night.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      A 4,000 seat rink? I'm in on a smaller new rink but 4,000 would be too small. Conte itself is still a very good venue, it's just become too big for the crowds they have been getting most games.
      Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      4,000 would be perfect for a rink at BC. You would create a lot more demand for tickets and even the games that aren’t as attractive would still be reasonably full.
      I think 4,000 would be too small base on BC's official attendance figures. And if those numbers are tickets sold and not actual attendance it could lead to a situation where the new smaller arena is still only partially full due to no shows. As for a good rink size, here the median attendance numbers for Conte back to 2002-03 for regular season games and also how many games were under 4,000 attendance:

2019-20 - 6,190 - 1 of 10
      2018-19 - 3,617 - 8 of 14
      2017-18 - 4,737 - 3 of 16
      2016-17 - 4,373 - 3 of 14
      2015-16 - 4,950 - 2 of 15
      2014-15 - 4,807 - 1 of 15
      2013-14 - 6,345 - 1 of 13
      2012-13 - 7,027 - 1 of 16
      2011-12 - 6,514 - 1 of 14
      2010-11 - 6,821 - 1 of 13
      2009-10 - 5,113 - 3 of 14
      2008-09 - 5,675 - 2 of 17
      2007-08 - 5,491 - 0 of 15
      2006-07 - 4,819 - 1 of 15
      2005-06 - 5,828 - 0 of 15
      2004-05 - 5,375 - 0 of 15
      2003-04 - 5,949 - 0 of 15
      2002-03 - 6,108 - 0 of 15

Attendance did drop in 2014-15 and remained down until this season, but a 4,000 seat arena would appear to be too small. Even last season, 6 games had attendance over 4,000.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
        Haven't posted on here in a while, but had to after Monday night's game. Luke McInnis has been bad for four years, but the penalty he took just didn't make any sense. It reminded me of the scene in Along Came Polly. Ben Stiller just read her children's book, looks totally befuddled asks Jennifer Aniston: "Not trying to be critical, or anything, but... what were you thinking?" I was actually a little surprised Coach York didn't put in either Warren or Helleson at the point for McInnis on that power play. He use to do that occasionally when BC would have a one goal lead late, on the PP, and sub in Patrick Wey for Steven Whitney.

That penalty completely changed the momentum of the game. Not sure how McInnis can act like a leader from here on out. Hopefully the Eagles can stay focused and beat Lowell on Friday night.
        I've known of McInnis since his days in FL and then NE prep. Didn't he lose Dexter a championship with a similarly boneheaded play? But I digress. I noticed that he was benched for the rest of regulation and then much of the first OT, but then reappeared with Karow for the rest of the game. I guess Marty figured he'd done sufficient penance? But that's what you get when you have primarily smaller, offensive dmen. I happen to like Moore (am also familiar with him since his youth days in Atlanta and then prep), but agree that he's struggling right now. The answer is to pair offensive guys with defensive-minded guys, but that's not popular with the coaching staffs and fans these days. People would rather have a 5-4 game than a 1-0 game.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          You're right, they have kept Conte in pretty good shape. I think the reason a new arena has been talked about is because they do run into a lot of scheduling issues with two basketball teams and two hockey teams needing time. Even just a new practice facility would help alleviate this. I have to say that BU has a great situation where the women's hockey team plays at WBA and the basketball team still plays elsewhere, right? I know Agganis has other events throughout the year but doesn't seem like any of that conflicts with men's hockey.
          Yes, BU has The Roof (Case Gym) above Walter Brown Arena for men's and women's basketball, so men's hockey is currently the only BU team using Agganis. Over the years there have been a few conflicts, but as the prime tenant they usually get the scheduling and practice time they want. When there has been a conflict for practice they have used WBA.

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

BCs three best defensive dmen are probably Helleson, Mattila and Karow. But that's not factoring in L/R shot in terms of pairing each of those guys with an "offensive" guy. Also, don't think Marty had any say on when Luke gets back on the ice there. Brendan Buckley is coaching the d and ultimately whether a guy is benched or not is York's call. Maybe the d were getting gassed.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglekeeper View Post
              Facilities: BC looked at building a 4,000 seat rink, but the cost was too high. They also looked at building just a b-ball arena, but again it was way too expensive, 300 million too expensive. The plan now is to build first class practice facilities for hockey and hoops just like football has and baseball is opening in August. This makes very good sense to me. If a new arena for hoops was 150 million, I would build a new arena, but not at 300 million. I do question a new arena costing 300 million, but regardless both new arena ideas are dead.

I think they should build a combo practice facility for hoops and hockey where they can share weight and training rooms. Put it next to the new rec center (Connell). Renovations to Conte and Alumni will come later.

Go Eagles!
              i heard the new hockey rink rumor was last year (and it was larger than 4k, believe 5-6k was target). that went cold (i assume financial reasons).

priority #1 is a basketball practice facility (behind conte on beacon side near merkert), but it's going to be expensive (uneven land, have to use union employees, etc.). bc is currently the only p5 basketball program without a basketball practice facility.

Comment

We need to put all our facilities on floating platforms on the reservoir. Problem solved.

Unless there is a drought.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  We need to put all our facilities on floating platforms on the reservoir. Problem solved.

Unless there is a drought.
                  The practice facility (Fish Field House) for football has worked out very well. The Frates Center is going to be awesome for baseball and softball. Building a practice facility for basketball and hockey could provide a real boost for both programs. It should be a combo facility where the teams share weight rooms and training rooms. The BCAA should also move into the building. This will free up space in Conte to create amenities for Alumni and Conte. It should be located next to Connell.

Go Eagles!

Comment

Didn't see this one so can't comment on the effort. Would have liked to have seen a win to show some resilience after Monday's meltdown. Lineup was not full health with Giles out (he is a bigger deal than we give him credit for) and Helleson also out. I'm happy they didn't get lit up with him out to some degree. How did Mitch Andres look? We need to get this kid ice time and hope the coaches can... like... COACH the kid up?

I think the talent is still reasonably solid at full health and if Hutsko can catch fire they could do some damage but... At this point, one win in their last 5, it's a crash and burn back to earth not seen since Kobe Bryant's last helicopter ride.
                    Last edited by Carmine Scarpaglia; 02-08-2020, 09:06 AM.
                    Originally posted by reBlur
                    the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Didn't see it either so I go straight to the press conference. York is happy with the effort and obviously they have been right there in this recent rut. Hope it's just that, a rut. Like they had in the 4 game losing streak early in the year. Whether it's just a coincidence right now or not I don't know but the failure in these tight games recently is certainly a concern.

Comment

Also, Giles done for the year. That's a tough blow because he really had something with McLaughlin on the 4th line and it forced them to drop Rasanen to 4th line.

Giving up too many goals recently aside from UMass game. Looking for Knight to make an impact in these tight games. He needs to raise his game a little.

Comment

The Eagle has landed. The loss of Giles is significant as noted, Rassanen should be on the third line, he was going well for awhile in January but he has cooled off since. I have been saying for three weeks less of Moore and more of Warren. Last night Warren stopped one with his chest when Knight was out of position. I like the Freshman line a lot, lots of creatively and ability. Newhook is the real deal and Boldy has real ability maybe not quite used to playing against a higher level of competition. Needs to make solid plays rather than the highlight reel play. What can you say, UML is a tough team to play, they wait for you to make a mistake and then they pounce. Moore loses a battle behind the net on the PP and boom it is in the net. Knight didn't get his pad down fast enough. Hard to know what to expect from this team at this point, most likely a 3 place finish in HE, they had 1 or 2 games in hand on most everyone. Regroup, refocus and win this close games.
                          Last edited by DNAEagle; 02-08-2020, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Most likely top 3 or 3rd? Still in first place PPG wise. Tied with Lowell. Good luck to anyone predicting the 1-9 finish though. Gonna be a chaotic ending to the regular season.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Most likely top 3 or 3rd? Still in first place PPG wise. Tied with Lowell. Good luck to anyone predicting the 1-9 finish though. Gonna be a chaotic ending to the regular season.
                              BC has a favorable schedule remaining to keep them in the top 3 if not 1st. In some ways dropping in the PWR to 6th keeps them in the East v. Cornell.

They need to sit Moore for the Harvard game. Mitch Anders looked good, he can skate and he has much needed size. Like #2 he needs consistent playing time. Shorten the bench to 5 Dmen in the 3rd.

Matilla, Cotton, Hutsko
                              Hardman, Newhook, McBain
                              Boldy, Rasanen, Mc Laughlin
                              McPhee, Greco, Walker

Go Eagles!

Comment

I'm completely baffled by this assessment that Karow is some sort of solution for the D. He's not. Not as bad as others, so sure put him in as your 7th Dman and rotate him in here and there. But... he's not answer. Moore is by far better than any of these guys we are discussing. By a ton. He's streaky but even averaging everything out he's going to grade out higher every time than these other guys. You have to play him and hope he stays hot. He also kills penalties and I don't see anyone else getting in there and replacing that role unless MAYBE Andres has that capability (we don't know).

Andres probably isn't the answer either but we have 120+ games of evidence right here that some guys aren't going to cut it. So absolutely give ice time and try to develop some of these guys if our coaches are interested in coaching the guys they recruited. If that means Karow plays more, fine. But he's our 6th/7th best Dman and even in limited viewing I'm good with Andres getting dressed every night as possibly the 6th and getting regular ice time.

Anyway, it's a Friends and Family invitational tonight at the Garden at 4:30. Probably should try to win it since it's another NC game anyway.
                                Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 02-10-2020, 11:33 AM.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X