Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Space exploration: Where do we go from here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Space exploration: Where do we go from here?

Also, saw that unlike *EVERY* previous space mission conducted by NASA, SpaceX has revised the launch sequence (with NASA's blessing).

Liquid fuel is usually loaded into the fuel tanks before the crew is loaded (for crew safety, because of the volatility of the loading process), but they have convinced NASA that it's safe to load the astronauts and then load the fuel, then launch.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      Technically, instead of NASA spending money to have our US astronauts sent into space in Russia, they're spending money to have our US astronauts sent into space in Florida. It's not in-house anymore.
      What's funny about the Tesla vs Airstream based on your note- they chose this pad specifically for nostalgia- it's where Apollo launched. No technical reason.

Comment

The feed is Good Morning America-level inane. I wish there was a smart/technical people feed.

TBH, we need that for everything: political, business, sports. There should be a dedicated subscription stream on all media for the top 10%, with different (or no) advertising, different everything. People can listen if they want but we won't slow down for them and we won't tip toe around their myths. If they are lost or bored or angry they can drop down to the gen pop feed.

Separate but equal.
        Last edited by Kepler; 05-27-2020, 12:47 PM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

A quick timing reminder- while streaming is live right now, and will be on Discovery and Science at 2pm, actual launch time is 4:33 pm. Which gives me some time to go do some more stuff.

Comment

Link is blocked for me at work - maybe it will work for you. If not, Google "Onion NASA Bales of Cash."
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Technically, instead of NASA spending money to have our US astronauts sent into space in Russia, they're spending money to have our US astronauts sent into space in Florida. It's not in-house anymore.
              Link is blocked for me at work - maybe it will work for you. If not, Google "Onion NASA Bales of Cash."
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                Maybe try the tube of u's? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aymrnzianf0

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  What's funny about the Tesla vs Airstream based on your note- they chose this pad specifically for nostalgia- it's where Apollo launched. No technical reason.
                  Isn't this the pad NASA leased to SpaceX for all their launches?

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                    Manned flight is the only way to convince the apes to give us money. Now hush.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So here's more of a technical question... In theory, space travel has a pretty specific safety margin built into it, especially for electronics.

And there's no doubt in my mind that this new ship is WAY more advance relative to computers than all previous space ships. Heck, I would not be surprised that this ship has more computing power than all of the previous manned ships combined.

But combining the need of more strict computer and electronics systems and the massive step forward in the actual computers- what's the chance that there's some significant steps forward for normal people?

One thing I would hope for is an increase in coding safety and efficiency. Back to more what it used to be. We use way too much auto generated code these days, which makes the code SO much more bulky than it was even 5 years ago. I would think that much of that would have to be avoided just for safety reasons. But who knows.

For the rest of the computing systems- on the electronics side- have there been any significant advances to make consumer hardware better in the next 5 or so years?

In other words, will Space X help advance society like NASA did?

Comment

Yes, but SpaceX and Boeing were in competition for the us of that pad. Because Apollo.

I'm sure Bezos was part of that bidding process, too.

Comment

Speaking of Boeing, is Starliner still a thing? Or have they given up?

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

It is still a thing. Believe they have check flights later this year. 3rd Quarter, no specific date yet.

https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

Comment

With their commercial airplanes division floundering, and today's announced RIF of 10%, I'd think now's the time to focus on getting as many sweet, sweet gubmint/DoD/NASA contracts as possible. Ain't nobody ordering more of Boeing's functioning airplanes (777X, 787) anytime soon, let alone the MAX.

Comment

Not quite. SpaceX primarily uses pad 40 for their Falcon 9, unmanned launches. ULA, using their Atlas 5 rocket, uses pad 41. 39-A is set up for Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy flights, but is used sparingly.

https://images.app.goo.gl/mtu5zi842QsFfqx66

That's a really good map outlining who uses what pads. The launch calendar I linked previously gives scheduled pads where known as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X