Ak/uaa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suze View Post
    You are right. It's so disturbing on many levels. And to think Dunleavy got his education at UAF. I wonder if there is a way to find out if he was on any kind of scholarship while attending there. When channel 2 interviewed him, he said he wanted to maintain "core" services, and education was mentioned as one of them. What a hypocrite!
    Anyone who voted for Dunleavy or the 22 in Wasilla needs to think about next election.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Re: Ak/uaa

Why watch? They can't do anything without the votes, and they don't have them.
      I was hoping they would elaborate on alternative funding schemes for the university, but that isn't a road they want to go down (at least publicly) yet.

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      Anyone who voted for Dunleavy or the 22 in Wasilla needs to think about next election.
      They will think about it. And then vote for them again.

Comment

I tried to warn everyone about Dunleavy … but all people saw was $$. He won that election because of greed.
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Could the Democrats say, OK, Wasilla it is. Then go there and force a vote? The governor announced the session would be in Wasilla last week.
          I was thinking more about this. The Legislature could call his bluff and show up in Wasilla today and force through the override. Hooray! The university system is saved!

Except someone would file a lawsuit and claim the override was unconstitutional because it happened in Wasilla not Juneau. And they'd be right because nothing in the constitution gives the governor the authority to change the location. So the actions of the legislature would be ruled invalid. There is literally no way to legally override the veto as long as those 22 Republicans stay out of Juneau.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            ...The Legislature could call his bluff and show up in Wasilla today and force through the override. Hooray! The university system is saved!...
            They could force a vote, not an override. They would still need 45 votes, which are not there.

Comment

You are right. It's so disturbing on many levels. And to think Dunleavy got his education at UAF. I wonder if there is a way to find out if he was on any kind of scholarship while attending there. When channel 2 interviewed him, he said he wanted to maintain "core" services, and education was mentioned as one of them. What a hypocrite!
              He was a basketball player, he undoubtedly got a scholarship.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                They could force a vote, not an override. They would still need 45 votes, which are not there.
                It would be close. Only 15 voted against the budget when it was in the House (2 didn't vote) and it was 20-0 in the Senate. That's 43 of 45. The two who missed the vote would have to vote to override. The 15 who voted against would also have to explain to their constituents why they are voting no. I expect that's the reason they're hiding in Wasilla - so they don't have to take a stance on the budget.

Comment

My heart breaks for the UAA and UA_ fans, students, and families. Those campuses have a lot of employees in those areas that will soon be without work. This goes far beyond impacting a couple sports teams.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    It would be close. Only 15 voted against the budget when it was in the House (2 didn't vote) and it was 20-0 in the Senate. That's 43 of 45. The two who missed the vote would have to vote to override. The 15 who voted against would also have to explain to their constituents why they are voting no. I expect that's the reason they're hiding in Wasilla - so they don't have to take a stance on the budget.
                    Some of the Wasilla crowd say they are only there because they think it is the law. But if they had 45 votes they could have called their own special session and met in Juneau. The option to override is over. They are looking at funding certain vetoed items with creative funding sources and capital funds. Now a number of legislators need to be voted out and the Governor impeached. Things will slowly get turned around but it will be very painful for a few years and the State will never be the same. IMHO, the University has lost all credibility and will not recover in the foreseeable future. Research funding is our bread and butter and that is in real jeopardy. Honestly, I have hardly thought about hockey the last couple of weeks. There is much more unnecessary devastation on the horizon than loosing a hockey program.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                      Some of the Wasilla crowd say they are only there because they think it is the law. But if they had 45 votes they could have called their own special session and met in Juneau. The option to override is over. They are looking at funding certain vetoed items with creative funding sources and capital funds. Now a number of legislators need to be voted out and the Governor impeached. Things will slowly get turned around but it will be very painful for a few years and the State will never be the same. IMHO, the University has lost all credibility and will not recover in the foreseeable future. Research funding is our bread and butter and that is in real jeopardy. Honestly, I have hardly thought about hockey the last couple of weeks. There is much more unnecessary devastation on the horizon than loosing a hockey program.
                      Well said. And the national attention this is garnering is embarrassing. The Legislature is just like the people of Nineveh who don't know their right hand from their left.
                      Originally Posted by aparch
                      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

University may file Financial Exigency Monday
                        Fall semester classes go as scheduled.
                        Nonacademic programs first targets for rapid cost reduction,
                        including athletics.

But NO mention of suspending sports for the upcoming season....

First mention of athletics by Pres. Johnsen

Comment

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
                          University may file Financial Exigency Monday
                          Fall semester classes go as scheduled.
                          Nonacademic programs first targets for rapid cost reduction,
                          including athletics.

But NO mention of suspending sports for the upcoming season....

First mention of athletics by Pres. Johnsen
                          Well July 15th is here....ANY "GOOD" News to report..?

Comment

The Board of Regents Meeting starts at 5pm (eastern). I sat in on the Friday meeting and they are leaning towards a "one university" concept. Additionally, it was only mentioned that it would be terrible to cut Athletics. That was about it!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                              The Board of Regents Meeting starts at 5pm (eastern). I sat in on the Friday meeting and they are leaning towards a "one university" concept. Additionally, it was only mentioned that it would be terrible to cut Athletics. That was about it!
                              Hoping those programs get a reprieve. Good luck Alaska. You deserve so much better than to be slapped around as a political hockey puck.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

The meeting is streaming live

Live updates follow:

A state senator (I missed his name) called on the Regents not to "wave the white flag" and declare Exigency.

State Rep Josephson says it is not a fiscal crisis but a political one.

11 regents are present.

Chairman: "We'll do our best to continue classes"

UA President: A history lesson. In 1986 the community college system declared Exigency when it faced a 20% cut.
                                The 41% cut comes on top of a previous 14% cut two weeks ago, plus $1.2 million in debt the state will not cover.
                                "Sometimes time is our friend...for us, time is not our friend."

Now counsel will go into legal detail about Exigency.

Each month that cuts are not made adds $11 million per month that eventually needs to be cut.
                                If the university continues spending money as it is now it will run out of money in February.

Questions from the regents:
                                Does that include lost revenue from lower tuition collected? No, it does not.
                                Are there any slush funds, reserve funds or other funds that can be used? No there are not. The board is aware of all money that is available.

The president will be meeting with the governor on Wednesday.

Regent moves and it is seconded to postpone decision until 30 July meeting. Motion is now being debated.

It sounds like the regents are going to postpone.

The burn rate is about $2M/day. A 2 week delay will cost $30 million.

Ed note: I applaud their chutzpah but they're not facing political reality. The governor and his Wasilla 22 aren't going to change their minds.

The president has already asked campuses to prioritize programs. There is no indication of what those priorities are at each campus (for example: athletics)

The president is talking about possibly closing "a campus or two"

Regents need to decide if the cuts will be system wide or targeted. For example, one school of education at one campus for the entire state. No duplication.

Vote is 10-1 to postpone.

30 July meeting is scheduled for four hours. May take longer.

Regent: (I didn't catch her name) The legislature has a chance to add back the $136 million. She is taking 9 credit hours this fall. Encourages other regents to enroll. Implores students to remain enrolled. Says the university is obligated to continue their degree program if they're already enrolled.

The scale of the cuts required: Under one approach the UAA would have the facilities and the school of nursing. Nothing else.

new-ua

Motion by Regent Teuber to have a meeting 22 July for updates. Suggests that all future meetings be in person meetings. The 30 July meeting is already scheduled to be in person.

Motion is approved 9-2. Next meeting will be 22 July (or close to it).

"Athletics are a luxury to have" says one of the regents. (Ed note: I have been informed that wasn't a regent, that was UAA Chancellor Sandeen)

"People still have not grasped what the cuts are going to be like for the university system" (I think Regent Buretta)

Regent Perdue: some of the proposals she has read show elimination of all research at UA Fairbanks.

President Johnsen: "Tough decisions are coming."

Meeting adjourned.
                                Last edited by ticapnews; 07-15-2019, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X