X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    ? I'm curious...

GFM
    UA system President Jim Johnsen has pushed for single accreditation in the past. He got his wish, but be careful what you wish for.

The NCAA already told UA thanks but no thanks several years ago to the idea of a split athletic program within the system, with 4-5 programs in Fairbanks and the same amount in Anchorage to meet the NCAA minimum of 10 teams.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Re: Ak/uaa

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      UA system President Jim Johnsen has pushed for single accreditation in the past. He got his wish, but be careful what you wish for.

The NCAA already told UA thanks but no thanks several years ago to the idea of a split athletic program within the system, with 4-5 programs in Fairbanks and the same amount in Anchorage to meet the NCAA minimum of 10 teams.
      Exactly, NCAA sent a letter saying they will not approve split athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
        Exactly, NCAA sent a letter saying they will not approve split athletics.
        The "NCAA" is a bunch of member colleges and universities who don't want to give the politicians in their own states the idea that they can merge schools and keep separate athletics. That would cost college presidents and AD's jobs. There's no way they okay this.

Comment

I thought that was in regards to keeping the three separate accredited universities. There is precedent, but that's when campuses are close, and technically a student at one campus could reasonably practice and make the team at the other campus. The 350 miles between UAA and UAF makes that a non-starter.

Not sure if there is an issue with one accredited university. Why would the NCAA dictate that sports have to be at the same location?

Comment

Originally posted by MidWestMidMajor View Post
            I found these comments by reddit poster JDChambo interesting:

there's nothing in NCAA rules that prevents satellite campuses from maintaining separate athletics departments. Penn State uses the same single accreditation model that the Alaska system will be transitioning to, and there's (in)famously an entire DII conference of just Penn State schools. Which means this entirely comes down to funding.
            The PSUAC isn't in the NCAA, it's in the United States Collegiate Athletic Association.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
              I thought that was in regards to keeping the three separate accredited universities. There is precedent, but that's when campuses are close, and technically a student at one campus could reasonably practice and make the team at the other campus. The 350 miles between UAA and UAF makes that a non-starter.

Not sure if there is an issue with one accredited university. Why would the NCAA dictate that sports have to be at the same location?
              Plus when it is just one "University of Alaska" what will the mascot be? Seawolves? Nanooks? SeaNooks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                Plus when it is just one "University of Alaska" what will the mascot be? Seawolves? Nanooks? SeaNooks?
                The Fighting Johnsen’s.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Even if the NCAA allows split sites, it probably doesn’t bode well for UAF:
                  …Hockey is a “dead man walking.” I see no viable conf affiliation on the horizon.
                  …UAA has one of the best DII arenas in the country in the Alaska Airlines Center, and their women’s bball and vball do fairly well. It’s a $120m facility that will not be allowed to sit vacant if we have any sports programs at all.
                  …UAA has available year round training facilities and an emphasis on international recruiting, so their track and field does really well (and x-country is decent).
                  …UAA is close to Alyleska so their ski program contains both the alpine and nordic components.
                  …UAA has women’s gymnastics, but may have to drop that when hockey goes because of both Title IX / budget issues. It's saving grace may be it utilizes the Alaska Airlines Center.

UAF has
                  …an historically strong Rile program.
                  …a decent women’s swim team.
                  …some of the best x/c ski trails and training opportunities in the country, but a mediocre ski team. We have a x/c running program that I believe only exists to meet the NCAA 10 sports minimum. Skiers run x/c
                  …our mbball, wbball, vball have been historic conf cellar dwellers.

That being said, when almost all sports are located in Anchorage (maybe with the exception of Rifle and Swimming) and President Johnson encourages all UA students and alum to support (emotionally and financially) the new UA sports teams, most loyal Nanook fans, myself included, will tell him to pound sand.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                    Even if the NCAA allows split sites, it probably doesn’t bode well for UAF:
                    …Hockey is a “dead man walking.” I see no viable conf affiliation on the horizon.
                    …UAA has one of the best DII arenas in the country in the Alaska Airlines Center, and their women’s bball and vball do fairly well. It’s a $120m facility that will not be allowed to sit vacant if we have any sports programs at all.
                    …UAA has available year round training facilities and an emphasis on international recruiting, so their track and field does really well (and x-country is decent).
                    …UAA is close to Alyleska so their ski program contains both the alpine and nordic components.
                    …UAA has women’s gymnastics, but may have to drop that when hockey goes because of both Title IX / budget issues. It's saving grace may be it utilizes the Alaska Airlines Center.

UAF has
                    …an historically strong Rile program.
                    …a decent women’s swim team.
                    …some of the best x/c ski trails and training opportunities in the country, but a mediocre ski team. We have a x/c running program that I believe only exists to meet the NCAA 10 sports minimum. Skiers run x/c
                    …our mbball, wbball, vball have been historic conf cellar dwellers.

That being said, when almost all sports are located in Anchorage (maybe with the exception of Rifle and Swimming) and President Johnson encourages all UA students and alum to support (emotionally and financially) the new UA sports teams, most loyal Nanook fans, myself included, will tell him to pound sand.
                    No matter how you look at this, as a Seawolf fan or a Nanook fan, it is a terrible situation. I would not blame UAF fans for not supporting the new UA Athletics structure. I am a UAA fan, and I oppose all of this. So, I might be with you!

Comment

The Fighting Johnsen’s.
                      Flea is going to cut off his Johnsen.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                        Glaciers.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Glaciers.
                          There are no more glaciers. Maybe they can be the Puddles.

Comment

“The Warriors”
                            …you know, just a group of guys, unjustly blamed for everybody else’s problems, who are ganged up on by everybody, when all they want is to maintain their home turf. Hey, that might make a good movie….

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              There are no more glaciers. Maybe they can be the Puddles.
                              Exactly!
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MidWestMidMajor View Post
                                I found these comments by reddit poster JDChambo interesting:

there's nothing in NCAA rules that prevents satellite campuses from maintaining separate athletics departments. Penn State uses the same single accreditation model that the Alaska system will be transitioning to, and there's (in)famously an entire DII conference of just Penn State schools. Which means this entirely comes down to funding.

--------

Tape replied
                                The PSUAC isn't in the NCAA, it's in the United States Collegiate Athletic Association.

-------
                                MidWestMidMajor replies:

But the Penn State system does have campuses that are NCAA D3: Behrend (Erie area), Altoona, Harrisburg, Penn Tech (Williamsport), Abington, Berks.

Also LIU is combining their 2 separate athletic departments on 2 campuses (a D2 and a D1) into one D1 athletic department that will have the sports distributed across both campuses (Brooklyn and CW Post).

So, it can be done. There is still hope...

(PS. I'm a newbie on this board. Still learning how it works)
                                Last edited by MidWestMidMajor; 07-31-2019, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X