Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ak/uaa

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    Alaska Pacific University had a hockey program way back when. It was then known as Alaska Methodist University.
    Didn't some guy named Brush skate on that team?

Comment

Regent Gloria O’Neill described regents’ upcoming decision on UA’s structure as one of the biggest decisions the board has faced in 100 years.

100 years of tradition unimpeded by progress
      Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
      UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
        Didn't some guy named Brush skate on that team?
        It was a long time ago. All I remember is they had a team; I don't remember any player names.

Comment

The U of A Regents are moving towards a single accreditation model. https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/educ...dministration/
          Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

I just posted this at a different fanboard (csnbbs):

What does this mean for UAA & UAF hockey this year? I'm not yet sure. I think the show goes on for 2019-20 for both the Seawolves and Nanooks. Next year, probably only 1 team. (Obviously, they've got bigger things than sports to consider right now, but this is a college sports fanboard.)
            ------

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/educatio...istration/
            Update, 3:40 p.m. Regents agree to move toward single-accreditation model

In an 8-3 vote, the UA Board of Regents approved a motion that’ll move UA toward a single-accreditation model — the structuring option preferred by UA President Jim Johnsen.

Under the motion, the regents authorize Johnsen to implement four steps:
            • Reduce administrative costs immediately through consolidation and standardization of processes in the “back-office functional areas” including IT, finance, university relations and procurement.
            • Prepare a strategic approach to combining “duplicative academic colleges and schools, consolidating research institutes and enhanced integration of community campuses" for review and approval by the regents at their September meeting.
            • Prepare a plan for board approval to transition from three separately-accredited universities (UAA, UAF and UAS) to a single institutional accreditation with multiple locations over the 2019-20 academic year.
            • Consult through the above steps with students, faculty and staff.

Comment

This tells you how much the Board of Regents believes that "bipartisan" palaver.

Can the university support hockey at all? Can only having one team in Alaska be financially viable? If there will be only one hockey team, at which campus will it be located? Big questions on this board, notsomuch in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

It looks like Johnson got his wish today.
                Sad day for the University......

Comment

It was a long time ago. All I remember is they had a team; I don't remember any player names.
                  Red Dog and Dinger
                  Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                  UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Alaska Pacific University had a hockey program way back when. It was then known as Alaska Methodist University.
                    I remember the team as well , and as you said,it was a long time ago .

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                      It looks like Johnson got his wish today.
                      Sad day for the University......
                      ? I'm curious...

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

A journalist covering the UA Regents meetings tweeted these comments by University system President James Johnsen:

@mattbuxton
                        What happens to the athletic programs ?
                        Johnsen (unfortunately): It's something we would work with our communities on.

Says there's a possibility of consolidating the athletics into the minimum NCAA standard of 10.

Johnsen also notes that the biggest historical cut was about $25 million. This one is $136 million.

Comment

A journalist covering the UA Regents' meeting tweeted these comments by UA system President James Johnsen:

@mattbuxton
                          What happens to the athletic programs ?

Johnsen (unfortunately): It's something we would work with our communities on.

Says there's a possibility of consolidating the athletics into the minimum NCAA standard of 10.

Johnsen also notes that the biggest historical cut was about $25 million. This one is $136 million.

Comment

I found these comments by reddit poster JDChambo interesting:

there's nothing in NCAA rules that prevents satellite campuses from maintaining separate athletics departments. Penn State uses the same single accreditation model that the Alaska system will be transitioning to, and there's (in)famously an entire DII conference of just Penn State schools. Which means this entirely comes down to funding.

However, it does appear that any changes to the ADs won't take effect until the 2020-21 season based on the general vaugeness, thus we can assume that both the Nanooks and Seawolves will play out the upcoming 2019-20 season as intended. Whether this turns out to be the swan song for either (or both) hockey teams depends on the next steps taken by the BoR and University administrations. The next BoR meeting is set for September.

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              ? I'm curious...

GFM
                              As I understand it, the UA system will now have one school of nursing/science/business etc etc which will be located at either Anchorage or Fairbanks, but not both. This will set off some major turf wars as both campuses fight to have that field taught at their location. It means they will be fighting each other for money, jobs and students. It also means lost opportunities for students. If you live in Anchorage and were set to be, for example, a nursing student, and suddenly that is only being taught in Fairbanks, that will be one more obstacle to overcome. There will also be fewer students accepted into each program, placing yet another obstacle in your path.

It is a sad time indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                                Red Dog and Dinger
                                I recall a "Big Red" Kennedy. I think. I'm old.
                                Playing in the Beluga (inflatable dome), cold as hell with fans keeping a constant breeze on your neck at -40.
                                Chicken wire on the end boards.
                                Crowds along the boards beating broken hockey sticks on the inside of the side boards for noise. Is was a huge echo chamber. Loud as h*ll
                                The "good ol' days."

Comment

Working...
                                X