X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 201: A State You Don't Expect

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Can I ask what was wrong with it?

You said they didn’t want to invest $25k and “do your maintenance!” earlier. Just curious so we don’t repeat the same mistake.
    There was water damage throughout the house that I didn't recognize.
    1) A number of large spruce trees need to be felled, more than we realized.
    2) Windows needed replacing at a faster schedule than we anticipated. Some windows that have been replaced aren't operable.
    3) They had plumbing that used polybutylene water lines.
    4) The sump pump worked, but it also splashed water all over the place, up and out of its cover.
    5) Many of the doors didn't latch correctly, some had strike plates missing so the door would close, while another had a jerry-rigged strike plate extender.
    6) The entire roof needs to be replaced within the next two years - we expected 8-10.
    7) The driveway couldn't be sand/mud-jacked back into shape, it was at EOL for its operation. So it will need replacing.
    8) The basement was finished by people who didn't pull a permit, so it was never inspected. What we thought were a few incorrectly installed electrical sockets were actually a sign that the basement was completed by amateurs and therefore likely not insulated correctly.
    9) The "newer" water heater was actually 14 years old.
    10) The furnace had some questionable aspects to it.
    11) There was crumbling concrete within a portion of the garage, which was a sure sign of water issues, but the source couldn't be identified with 100% certainty - perhaps a new roof would fix it, or the water source could've been due to the driveway issues.
    12) The oven door is broken.
    13) The dishwasher is broken.
    14) The gas fireplace didn't work.
    15) There was a slight crowning to the main-level floor, which couldn't be explained when looking at the structure from the basement.
    16) The lawn needs to be re-graded for water abatement.
    17) More things that I'm forgetting.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

You would have lost me at water damage. That's potential mold, if I'm not mistaken.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
        You would have lost me at water damage. That's potential mold, if I'm not mistaken.
        Not for this house, according to the inspector. Houses built back in the 60s had enough airflow through them that above ground water issues would dry too quickly for mold to form. All the water issues were above ground, but I still don't like the idea of laying in bed and having the ceiling drip onto me.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Not for this house, according to the inspector. Houses built back in the 60s had enough airflow through them that above ground water issues would dry too quickly for mold to form. All the water issues were above ground, but I still don't like the idea of laying in bed and having the ceiling drip onto me.
          Gotcha.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

There was water damage throughout the house that I didn't recognize.
            1) A number of large spruce trees need to be felled, more than we realized.
            2) Windows needed replacing at a faster schedule than we anticipated. Some windows that have been replaced aren't operable.
            3) They had plumbing that used polybutylene water lines.
            4) The sump pump worked, but it also splashed water all over the place, up and out of its cover.
            5) Many of the doors didn't latch correctly, some had strike plates missing so the door would close, while another had a jerry-rigged strike plate extender.
            6) The entire roof needs to be replaced within the next two years - we expected 8-10.
            7) The driveway couldn't be sand/mud-jacked back into shape, it was at EOL for its operation. So it will need replacing.
            8) The basement was finished by people who didn't pull a permit, so it was never inspected. What we thought were a few incorrectly installed electrical sockets were actually a sign that the basement was completed by amateurs and therefore likely not insulated correctly.
            9) The "newer" water heater was actually 14 years old.
            10) The furnace had some questionable aspects to it.
            11) There was crumbling concrete within a portion of the garage, which was a sure sign of water issues, but the source couldn't be identified with 100% certainty - perhaps a new roof would fix it, or the water source could've been due to the driveway issues.
            12) The oven door is broken.
            13) The dishwasher is broken.
            14) The gas fireplace didn't work.
            15) There was a slight crowning to the main-level floor, which couldn't be explained when looking at the structure from the basement.
            16) The lawn needs to be re-graded for water abatement.
            17) More things that I'm forgetting.
            Holy hell.

Sounds like my house for some of the big items. We need a new deck, a new roof, driveway, and the backyard probably needs regrading.

Likely going to need a home equity loan for all of that because I don’t have $40,000 sitting around anymore. Luckily I’ve got about 75% equity so I can afford it that way. New deck will add a little bit of value since the old one is small and ****ty. Roof will maintain value. And driveway will make me happier.

The regrade is more of a cost avoidance.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

75% equity already? Dang, son, you done good.

Comment

Well, I had a full down payment and my house has appreciated 50% since I bought it.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Well, I had a full down payment and my house has appreciated 50% since I bought it.
                  Still though, you are young, that's quite the accomplishment. Kudos!

Comment

Thanks. I’ve been extraordinarily fortunate in life. I’m also a very conservative saver. Until... ahem.... recently. Priorities.

Also keep in mind, I bought my house at the bottom of the housing market and refinanced at the bottom of the interest rate market. When I say fortunate, I effectively won the lottery.
                    Code:

Comment

Thanks. I’ve been extraordinarily fortunate in life. I’m also a very conservative saver. Until... ahem.... recently. Priorities.

Also keep in mind, I bought my house at the bottom of the housing market and refinanced at the bottom of the interest rate market. When I say fortunate, I effectively won the lottery.
                      This is also very key for long-term. I was frugal (to be polite) for a long while, I've faded a little now that I have my base for things. Pay my dues when I'm young, enjoy a little more each year as I get older.

Comment

Good morning to tLodge!
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                        Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Good Morning, MEUSA!

Good Morning to the rest of tLodge!
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Holy hell.

Sounds like my house for some of the big items. We need a new deck, a new roof, driveway, and the backyard probably needs regrading.

Likely going to need a home equity loan for all of that because I don’t have $40,000 sitting around anymore. Luckily I’ve got about 75% equity so I can afford it that way. New deck will add a little bit of value since the old one is small and ****ty. Roof will maintain value. And driveway will make me happier.

The regrade is more of a cost avoidance.
                            My wife and I were talking, and we’ve decided that we need to tour future homes with a flashlight and use a miner handsy approach. We need to shine the light everywhere there could be a concern, and play a little with the appliances and windows. We don’t have the knowledge to know things like the poly pipes, but certainly signs of water damage and inoperable windows are things we can catch.

Comment

My wife and I were talking, and we’ve decided that we need to tour future homes with a flashlight and use a miner handsy approach. We need to shine the light everywhere there could be a concern, and play a little with the appliances and windows. We don’t have the knowledge to know things like the poly pipes, but certainly signs of water damage and inoperable windows are things we can catch.
                              I think the things I’ve learned from owning my first house need to be in a book or something. Almost certainly true for all first time or even experience buyers.

Here are some other things I have learned:
                              1. Never have a sloped, north facing driveway
                              2. Make sure the sump pump is easily accessible and maintainable. I’ll never have one in a crawl space again.
                              3. Make sure the master bed window faces your backyard, though, this is somewhat flexible.
                              4. Take a plug of ground out and see if there is black dirt below the grass and how much.
                              5. Fewer trees in the front yard mean much lower chance of roots in the sewer line.
                              6. Relatedly, make sure the clean out port doesn’t face a wall six inches away. Make sure it’s easily accessed. Make sure you know where all of the clean out ports are.
                              7. Hip joints on roof
                              8. Look for water issues in the yard. Walk around after a rainstorm. If it’s mushy hours later...
                              9. Make sure the dryer vent is placed intelligently. Make sure it has a good louvre.
                              10. A wash basin discharge for the washer is a big plus.
                              11. All bathrooms should be on an exterior wall or have access to the roof and already be vented.
                              12. Watch out for candelabra base light fixtures. While pretty, the lightbulb options aren’t great.
                              13. Trees grow up and out. Remember that.
                              14. Wood fences are a non-starter
                              15. Wood decks are a pain in the ***.
                              16. Don’t rock, mulch.
                              17. Touch the foliage on the trees. Make sure you’re not allergic.
                              18. Gas stove
                              19. Sit in the tub. Make sure you can fit comfortably. Mine is a smaller than average tub and there have been times where sitting and soaking after a long day of landscaping might feel good.
                              20. Don’t pay extra for argon windows.
                              21. In a connected world, know where the cable comes in and whether you can get WiFi coverage throughout the house.
                              22. When buying, take tons of pictures of everything. Make sure it’s all written down in the purchase agreement. I’m convinced I lost a water softener because I didn’t pay attention.
                              23. Make sure the office has a window. Your sanity will be rewarded. I’m glad I have one.
                              24. Look at walls and see if the room offers furniture flexibility. For instance, is there only one wall a couch can reasonably fit? Does it block all access to plugs? Does the bed block outlets? Ditto on dressers in the bedroom.
                              25. Look at the hardware and materials around the house. Go to the closest hardware store. Is it Home Depot where they likely bought things? Good, it means they didn’t cheap out and go to Menards. Menards is fine, but it MIGHT indicate a mentality if everything is from Menards.
                              26. Make sure there is only one GCFI (or whatever the new standard is) on a circuit. Easily fixed, but shows there might be a moron who installed electrical.
                              27. Walls that don’t meet at a right angle are infuriating when trying to arrange a room.

I’m sure I have more.

Edit: just because you don’t have a ton of trees, it doesn’t mean you won’t have to pick up leaves from your neighbors’ trees. I mulch 35 bags a year with four trees and a couple shrubs. Mulched. The rest come from my neighbors’ trees

Edit 2: Drive from the house to the grocery store and something like target. Is it a pain in the ***? It will be every single time.
                              Last edited by dxmnkd316; 07-31-2019, 08:37 AM.
                              Code:

Comment

Yeah, some of that stuff I know from being a homeowner myself, but I've not run across a lot of that. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X