X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 201: A State You Don't Expect

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
    Let's take this offline.
    NSFW, and the Australian version of a non-internet "viral thing" since I was in grade school:
    https://www.hcamag.com/au/archived/a...at-work/137928
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Good morning to tLodge!
      Quinnipiac Bobcats
      2023 National Champions
      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
      Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
        Soooo....where did gII play after pitching? SS or 2nd base? .
        Good morning Lodge.

Little gII played first.

FWIW this is an in house league. Baseball ability is all over the spectrum. My absolutely worst player was at third. Two outs with runners at first and second. Grounder hit to third. Sort of a quick one and the third baseman scooped it up about two feet from the bag and about a foot behind it. All he had to do was touch the base. He froze. The runner went from second to third (could have reached out and tagged but didn’t). He then threw the ball to right center field. Not a bad throw to first or second base but a legitimate throw to right center field. Essentially giving them a in the park home run. Us 2. Them 3. It was the bottom of the sixth inning. game over. Walk off. Season over.
        Last edited by gmann; 07-24-2019, 06:49 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by gmann View Post
          He then threw the ball to right center field. Not a bad throw to first or second base but a legitimate throw to right center field.
          So, you are saying the 3B has a good arm!
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
            So, you are saying the 3B has a good arm!
            Up until that throw he had no arm all season. Could barely throw from mound to home plate which is 45 feet (rainbow and included a roll). Not sure what the hell happened. Adrenaline?!?!? At that time and at this very moment all I can do is laugh.

Edit. Again these are kids. My approach was teach the game and have fun. Wins are bonus. My job was to try and “hide” this player every inning.

At the plate he was probably 0-50. No walks. All strike outs. Maybe one or two foul balls. And the other thing? If he was a good kid that tried his best that’s one thing. I enjoy coaching kids that give 100% and have good attitudes. But his kid was a punk. Bad kid and even worse team mate. Horrible parents. He didn’t care. In his mind and his parents mind he was the next Babe Ruth and I was holding him back.
            Last edited by gmann; 07-24-2019, 07:43 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gmann View Post
              At the plate he was probably 0-50. No walks. All strike outs. Maybe one or two foul balls. And the other thing? If he was a good kid that tried his best that’s one thing. But his kid was a punk. Bad kid and even worse team mate. Horrible parents. He didn’t care and didn’t want to play ball.
              As a coach, there is nothing worse than this.

When YE played middle school ball his team was really good. I mean really good. In one game, due to goofy schedules, we had to play a game with 8. Other coach said if it got ugly he could give a player to help out. We politely said thank and proceeded to ten run them. A couple of these kids started on their HS teams as freshman and a few more as sophomores and they never played better than that game.

Two things stood out on that team. One, one kid (who was also one of the 8) has Asperger's. Really nice kid, loved to play with is buddies, and has wonderful parents but sadly baseball was not his thing. But he tried really hard and was always there. On a team that won championships and had a ton of success the without a doubt the most excited the team got that year was when this kid got his first (and I think only) hit of the season. 2nd thing is YE (may lad) was probably the next weakest player and he knocks in the GWR. Cool stuff for a kid who was barely five feet tall and played second because he could not throw the ball across the diamond. Now he plays slow pitch with me and regularly guns out guys from left field trying to take the extra base or score from second on a base hit.

After several years I've been able to block the annoying kids/parents.
              Last edited by Greyeagle; 07-24-2019, 07:43 AM.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
              Twenty red lights in his honor
              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                ::doing the happy dance!!::

*we didn't have these issues with paper charts
                Well, I mean, yeah you did. Paper has no idea who did anything and can't act on it even if it somehow did know. That was a totally manual process of calling and/or faxing. Now at least we're most of the way there to automated updates.
                I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

s'upp y'all

He then threw the ball to right center field..
                  all smart players know to throw the ball to Leak
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                    As a coach, there is nothing worse than this.

When YE played middle school ball his team was really good. I mean really good. In one game, due to goofy schedules, we had to play a game with 8. Other coach said if it got ugly he could give a player to help out. We politely said thank and proceeded to ten run them. A couple of these kids started on their HS teams as freshman and a few more as sophomores and they never played better than that game.

Two things stood out on that team. One, one kid (who was also one of the 8) has Asperger's. Really nice kid, loved to play with is buddies, and has wonderful parents but sadly baseball was not his thing. But he tried really hard and was always there. On a team that won championships and had a ton of success the without a doubt the most excited the team got that year was when this kid got his first (and I think only) hit of the season. 2nd thing is YE (may lad) was probably the next weakest player and he knocks in the GWR. Cool stuff for a kid who was barely five feet tall and played second because he could not throw the ball across the diamond. Now he plays slow pitch with me and regularly guns out guys from left field trying to take the extra base or score from second on a base hit.

After several years I've been able to block the annoying kids/parents.
                    Good stuff. Like I mentioned this kid was bad in every possible way. In contrast, I had a couple players who were similar in ability but they had great attitudes, gave 100% and had great parents. Comparing these kids day 1 to the last day of the season? They made tremendous improvements. Night and day difference and that is what is fun.

I had numerous issues and conversations with the bad kid parents. They felt that I was the reason their kid wasn’t playing well. BS. For starters.......I can’t count the number of times I have played catch with both little g and little gII this spring/summer. These parents? Never.
                    sigpic

Comment

Good Afternoon, Lodge!
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Good stuff. Like I mentioned this kid was bad in every possible way. In contrast, I had a couple players who were similar in ability but they had great attitudes, gave 100% and had great parents. Comparing these kids day 1 to the last day of the season? They made tremendous improvements. Night and day difference and that is what is fun.

I had numerous issues and conversations with the bad kid parents. They felt that I was the reason their kid wasn’t playing well. BS. For starters.......I can’t count the number of times I have played catch with both little g and little gII this spring/summer. These parents? Never.
                        Baseball was my absolute most un-favorite sport that lilnsl played. Our town league was ridiculous. The parents manipulated the draft every year, loaded a couple of the teams with the kids who were predestined to play summer ball (choices were all politics, not based on skill). It got so bad that some parents on the Board, including one of our friends, quit in protest. -Rinse, lather, repeat- they are still this way.

lilnsl loved his teams but he was never on a team with any skilled players or with a coach that taught the game. mr les favorite sport is bsbl but he was unwilling to lick anyone's but
                        to get lilnsl on a good team. He figured that talent would out -lilnsl could hit a pitched ball when he was 3, throw accurately past the bases by the time he was 4 and was fairly good at pitching. One summer mr les let lilnsl try out for the travel team. They were cutting only 5 kids. They cut lilnsl but kept kids that couldn't catch a pop-fly, throw worth p** or bat. I don't think mr les ever recovered from the shock. lilnsl wasn't surprised at all- he knew everything was political and he wasn't in with the 'in' crowd. All the kids knew it was that way. Didn't realize how much the kids discussed this until I drove a couple of his friends home once. I listened as they discussed who they thought would be on the team arguing for certain kids dependent on which parents had managed to suck up to the coaches/powers that be. That was eye-opening.

The last yr he played the coach had 2 kids on the team. Both were snots. They used to kick the younger kids off the bench so their GF could sit there. I was sooooooooo glad when he decided he didn't want to play again!!

Comment

Evening, Lodge. My many days off is getting a payback, I'm without my co-worker for the next week and a half. Should be interesting.

Getting back into (free) poker, I missed the game. At least people on this site (WSoP app/site) generally play like they are playing for money, serious-like, and that's all I want.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            Baseball was my absolute most un-favorite sport that lilnsl played. Our town league was ridiculous. The parents manipulated the draft every year, loaded a couple of the teams with the kids who were predestined to play summer ball (choices were all politics, not based on skill). It got so bad that some parents on the Board, including one of our friends, quit in protest. -Rinse, lather, repeat- they are still this way.

lilnsl loved his teams but he was never on a team with any skilled players or with a coach that taught the game. mr les favorite sport is bsbl but he was unwilling to lick anyone's but
                            to get lilnsl on a good team. He figured that talent would out -lilnsl could hit a pitched ball when he was 3, throw accurately past the bases by the time he was 4 and was fairly good at pitching. One summer mr les let lilnsl try out for the travel team. They were cutting only 5 kids. They cut lilnsl but kept kids that couldn't catch a pop-fly, throw worth p** or bat. I don't think mr les ever recovered from the shock. lilnsl wasn't surprised at all- he knew everything was political and he wasn't in with the 'in' crowd. All the kids knew it was that way. Didn't realize how much the kids discussed this until I drove a couple of his friends home once. I listened as they discussed who they thought would be on the team arguing for certain kids dependent on which parents had managed to suck up to the coaches/powers that be. That was eye-opening.

The last yr he played the coach had 2 kids on the team. Both were snots. They used to kick the younger kids off the bench so their GF could sit there. I was sooooooooo glad when he decided he didn't want to play again!!
                            Ouch. Like most youth sports I’m sure there is politics in our baseball association. If there is it’s minor.

I’m very involved with little gII’s activities (to an extent) and I don’t see it*. With our in house baseball all players are evaluated and ranked. Coaches randomly select the draft order and kids are picked. No real way to cheat the system. With travel ball there is a try out conducted by a third party. AAA coach gets top 15 ranked kids and then has a tryout to trim to 10 or 11 players. Remaining kids go to AA and then single A.

*I am part of the in crowd. I kiss butt and I’m willing to bend over.
                            Last edited by gmann; 07-24-2019, 10:29 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

s'upp y'all
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Little League’s pretentiousness has always bugged me. On one hand they have rules on every kid having to play and asinine territory rules while also having massive worldwide competitions that are internationally televised.

Now, soccer has its own problems but at least they don’t have the LL level of zealotry.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X