Brown Hockey 2019-2020: Hibernation is Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Hockey 2019-2020: Hibernation is Over

Bodes fairly well for this coming weekend, although it's hard to assign much significance to these scrimmages.

Comment

Nice season preview with Coach and his captains: https://www.facebook.com/BrownMensHo...6578903623956/

At the end, he makes his case for people to come out and see the team at Meehan. When Brown was coming off an ECAC title game run and then had a great stretch of play in the 2013-14 season, Meehan sold out against BC and Yale. If the team wins games, the people will come! Avoiding a slow start, like last year, will be key to building fan interest.

Comment

New recruit for Brown, Matthew Brille. https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...matthew-brille
        YALE HOCKEY
        2013 National Champions

Comment

I don't fret as much about decommits as some of you. In most cases decommitting is the right move for both the student athlete and Brown. Very often it's the result of parents' overinflated view of their sons' ability. Sometimes it has to do with borderline unethical behavior of their so-called "advisers."

For students who may not be interested in going to class, the Ivy League is definitely not the best option.

Comment

Expect five first-years in the Brown line up tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
              I don't fret as much about decommits as some of you. In most cases decommitting is the right move for both the student athlete and Brown. Very often it's the result of parents' overinflated view of their sons' ability. Sometimes it has to do with borderline unethical behavior of their so-called "advisers."

For students who may not be interested in going to class, the Ivy League is definitely not the best option.
              Agree in general with this sentiment, but losing a recruit to Yale is a bummer (Phil Kemp, Bayard Hall).

Comment

A fine start to the season, splitting with Yale, but the headline for me is the power play. Night-and-day from the previous few years. Not only were they fun to watch; they were lethal. If that can remain a strength this year, this team can win a whole bunch of games.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                  Agree in general with this sentiment, but losing a recruit to Yale is a bummer (Phil Kemp, Bayard Hall).
                  See my comment above about parents' overinflated opinion of their sons' ability.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                    ...Sometimes it has to do with borderline unethical behavior of their so-called "advisers."....
                    Nothing borderline about it, in too many cases.
                    Last edited by Split-N; 11-04-2019, 08:46 AM.
                    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Cornell-Colgate is always a tough trip for Brown, but if we can score some goals we can pick off Colgate, who struggles offensively. Intrigued to see how the power play performs. It won't be a surprise to anyone – it was even mentioned in two separate USCHO columns. I assume both opponents will have scouted it extensively; we'll see if Brown has the answer.

Nieto looked really solid last weekend, and despite ceding a lot of possession to Yale on Friday, I didn't think the defense was particularly worrisome, either. Hoping Justin Jallen isn't injured – he limped off toward the end of Saturday's game, but was electrifying all weekend.

Comment

Cornell-Colgate is always a tough trip for Brown, but if we can score some goals we can pick off Colgate, who struggles offensively. Intrigued to see how the power play performs. It won't be a surprise to anyone – it was even mentioned in two separate USCHO columns. I assume both opponents will have scouted it extensively; we'll see if Brown has the answer.

Nieto looked really solid last weekend, and despite ceding a lot of possession to Yale on Friday, I didn't think the defense was particularly worrisome, either. Hoping Justin Jallen isn't injured – he limped off toward the end of Saturday's game, but was electrifying all weekend.
                        Expect Jallen to play on a line with Brent Beaudoin and Michael Maloney, as was the case last weekend.

Comment

Two points in central New York is a successful trip no matter what, but being outshot a combined 78-39 over the weekend is not good! I watched the Cornell game and I actually thought the shot clock was a bit unkind, as we were more competitive than it insinuated. Felt bad for Nieto, who made some terrific saves but will have to live with four goals allowed on 32 shots. Kania saving 42 against Colgate is a terrific sign. If both are playing well, we have a good problem on our hands.

Didn’t get to see the Colgate game, but looks like we weathered the storm in the first and then played them evenly afterward.

Time to regroup and come home for a pair against Ivy rivals. Harvard looks scary, after pasting each of Dartmouth, Quinnipiac, and Princeton. Dartmouth is good this year, too, but I see that as a more winnable game since they aren’t as well-rounded as the guys from Cambridge.

Regardless of how it plays out, Brown has 2 wins in four games. It took us 9 games to get there last year! If we can keep playing decent hockey early in the season before turning it on in January, like last year, we’ll see an improvement in record

Comment

A great effort against Clarkson on Friday was ultimately fruitless, as the Knights managed to steal a win in overtime off a bad turnover. Too bad; a three-point weekend would've been a great success for Brown! At 3-5-0, I'd say the team is about where I expected them to be to date, give or take a win. Bentley hasn't been good, so anything short of a win tomorrow would be disappointing. The Mayor's Cup might get ugly, as Providence has been scoring in bunches all season, but part of me thinks we could catch them napping and pull off the upset since they've been inconsistent. Still, Leaman has had his guys amped up for that game ever since we upset them when they were #1 in the country in 2016, so I'm going to expect the worst and hope for the best.

Jallen, Giuttari, Stillwell, and both goaltenders have been great so far. We'll need to find more goals from other contributors if we want to compete for home ice advantage in the playoffs, however. There are a lot of solid players on the roster who don't make too many mistakes; there aren't a lot of game-breakers in terms of skill that can punish the other team. I'd like to see Berger and Cocca step up to deliver some more scoring, since those guys have a good mix of skill and speed. The power play hasn't been clicking like it did early in the season, but it's still a strength. Penalty killing has been strong as well.

Again: If Brown finds a way to score some more goals, this can be a very, very successful season!

Comment

The Mayor's Cup might get ugly, as Providence has been scoring in bunches all season, but part of me thinks we could catch them napping and pull off the upset since they've been inconsistent.
                              If you want another source of hope, Brown has a good power play. The Friars have been committing far too many penalties this year. Just ask BU.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                              -Blackadder
                              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                              -Casablanca
                              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                                If you want another source of hope, Brown has a good power play. The Friars have been committing far too many penalties this year. Just ask BU.
                                To be fair, five of our seven power play goals came in the opening weekend against a Yale team that either hasn't clicked yet or won't be any good this year. PC's penalty kill percentage is pretty mediocre (80.4%), but our PP success rate might be a little bit inflated. Another key: Brown has won the three games in which it scored first and lost the five in which it allowed the first goal. Starting strong will be crucial for both teams.

It'll be an interesting game, for sure. I'm just hoping it's closer than the last few Mayor's Cups! PC has outscored us 19-2 since that aforementioned 2016 overtime win. Yikes.

Comment

Working...
                                X