Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    I'm glad you posted the source of the article. You saved me from visiting click bait.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      It’s highly unlikely that the Xcel or Target would give up dates where they have concerts, shows, state Volleyball tournaments and other far more lucrative events for ST hockey.
      I agree, Target Center wasn’t too upset over losing the Frozen Faceoff. The NCHC had to buy out its last year and it gave Target Center more open dates to hold a concert where they’d make more money.

Richfield, Aldrich or Braemar are closest to the needed size. None of those places are great options. Which made me wonder if they’d fold the program to save on the costs.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
        I agree, Target Center wasn’t too upset over losing the Frozen Faceoff. The NCHC had to buy out its last year and it gave Target Center more open dates to hold a concert where they’d make more money.

Richfield, Aldrich or Braemar are closest to the needed size. None of those places are great options. Which made me wonder if they’d fold the program to save on the costs.
        Indeed, it's why it will be interesting to see what their plans are going forward.
        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

A Minnesota university dropping their hockey program? They'll shutter the university before they drop hockey. This is Minnesota you're talking about... That's like asking WI to remove milk from grocery stores.

I would put money on UST having D-I hockey before the next Big10 school. Mass, Minn, Mich... Which "M" state will be the D-I hockey king?
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            That's like asking WI to remove beer from grocery stores.
            fyp

Comment

Another article that just decides to skip over the part where there aren’t appropriate facilities available.

https://www.mankatofreepress.com/spo...840308eaa.html

I swear, sometimes it’s no wonder that college hockey fandom is so willing to latch onto outlandish ideas like a video game, an entire Pacific coast conference springing out of nothingness, more than 1000 people watching games on Primetime cable, etc.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Don’t get me wrong, I like our collective optimism, but it’s quite amusing how we seem to fall into these traps of thinking that these hurdles aren’t a big deal.

Maybe they figure they’ll keep their high school level facilities until they can raise the funds?
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  Don’t get me wrong, I like our collective optimism, but it’s quite amusing how we seem to fall into these traps of thinking that these hurdles aren’t a big deal.

Maybe they figure they’ll keep their high school level facilities until they can raise the funds?
                  I will admit that UST is in a very unique position with their timetable being bumped up 5 years compared to a "traditional" D-I move. That's what's compromising things here. If they had the time, I'm sure they could figure out a viable option SOMEWHERE in the MSP area while long-term fundraising begins for a permanent, 5000 seat arena. I would say that permanent arena would probably open in 2027-30 in that scenario however.
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

What would happen to the sports (ice hockey, football) that aren’t sponsored by the Summit League?

The Summit League does not currently sponsor ice hockey or football. As a result, St. Thomas would actively pursue affiliate membership opportunities for these programs in other Division I conferences.

Athletics Update FAQs

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      A Minnesota university dropping their hockey program? They'll shutter the university before they drop hockey. This is Minnesota you're talking about... That's like asking WI to remove milk from grocery stores.

I would put money on UST having D-I hockey before the next Big10 school. Mass, Minn, Mich... Which "M" state will be the D-I hockey king?

I know it starts with an “N”, but if we are talking D1 hockey king, it is definitely New York with 10 teams. If we were to list off the d3 schools that have it as well, I’d guess we have the most ncaa hockey teams of all the states.

Comment

I've heard talk about the Pioneer League (Drake, Butler and others) or the Missouri Valley(NDSU, UNI and others) for football. The Thommies will be playing a game in about a week-and-a-half at Allianz Field. The United have a home playoff game the next night. It'll be a good test on the turf.

For hockey, the WCHA part III, or whatever it'll be called. They could make being an independent work for a few years I guess. The arena issue is going to be a problem. I don't know how much room they have left of campus for an arena. Or how well it'll go over with the neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith-Stone View Post
                          I know it starts with an “N”, but if we are talking D1 hockey king, it is definitely New York with 10 teams. If we were to list off the d3 schools that have it as well, I’d guess we have the most ncaa hockey teams of all the states.
                          No, Massachusetts also has 10 DI teams. Furthermore, if I counted correctly MA has 2 D2 teams and 19 D3 teams while NY has 0 D2 and 17 D3 teams. Note, I only counted men’s teams.

Sean
                          Last edited by Sean Pickett; 10-09-2019, 05:46 PM.
                          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                          BU Hockey highlights and extras
                          NCAA Hockey Financials
                          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

I've heard talk about the Pioneer League (Drake, Butler and others) or the Missouri Valley(NDSU, UNI and others) for football. The Thommies will be playing a game in about a week-and-a-half at Allianz Field. The United have a home playoff game the next night. It'll be a good test on the turf.

For hockey, the WCHA part III, or whatever it'll be called. They could make being an independent work for a few years I guess. The arena issue is going to be a problem. I don't know how much room they have left of campus for an arena. Or how well it'll go over with the neighborhood.
                            The Pioneer League would be a decent fit since it's scholarship free.
                            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

The grass at Allianz has been brutal all year. That could help MN though as the best player to ever play in the MLS will be coming in the next night. Anything to mess with his game.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                                The grass at Allianz has been brutal all year. That could help MN though as the best player to ever play in the MLS will be coming in the next night. Anything to mess with his game.
                                The franchise said, they had a drainage problem which they fixed before installing the new grass.

Comment

Working...
                                X