Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

Bump.

The article says the NCAA would still need to approve a waiver allowing UST to bypass D2.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
      Bump.

The article says the NCAA would still need to approve a waiver allowing UST to bypass D2.

The Summit League is the conference home of three NCHC programs: Denver, North Dakota and Omaha. Could be a good fit in that regard.

Comment

Not surprising. They have prime recruiting ground. I expect good battles with the other MN schools within about 7 years.

I'd expect they could give the Gopher football team a good fight within about five.

Comment

St. Thomas gets kicked out of the MIAC in 2021.

The waiver would have them at D-1 by 2021.

The WCHA Breakaway 7 intend to leave in 2021.

The plot is thickening...

Comment

Well that was an obvious fit

Comment

ESPN Article

I do have to wonder where UST will get the cashflow to fund things at a D-I level so quick. Per the ESPN article, UST spends $1.1 million on football while NDSU spends $5.4 mil. Obviously hockey is another significant jump while increased travel for Women's sports will add up.

Just something to consider....
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                ESPN Article

I do have to wonder where UST will get the cashflow to fund things at a D-I level so quick. Per the ESPN article, UST spends $1.1 million on football while NDSU spends $5.4 mil. Obviously hockey is another significant jump while increased travel for Women's sports will add up.

Just something to consider....
                STU is super wealthy. It's going to be interesting to see where the money comes from.
                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                  St. Thomas gets kicked out of the MIAC in 2021.

The waiver would have them at D-1 by 2021.

The WCHA Breakaway 7 intend to leave in 2021.

The plot is thickening...
                  They still would have to go through a probationary period one way or another, so it will be a few years before they are eligible for any national playoffs.
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Money will not be a problem for St. Thomas.

Comment

Be curious about facilities for them. Namely: they have the same level of facilities as most large high schools. They literally share a rink with high school teams. The Richfield Ice Arena is nicer. Where do they play?

Do they think they can use Allianz for football?
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        Be curious about facilities for them. Namely: they have the same level of facilities as most large high schools. They literally share a rink with high school teams. The Richfield Ice Arena is nicer. Where do they play?

I think they have room to expand the seating at O'Shaughnessy. Is there room for a rink at the SJV Seminary?

And what about bouncy ball? Not that anyone cares.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

I guess the Tommie-Johnnie game followed by a possible United playoff game the next night will see how the brand new turf holds up.

Could the basketball team play at Target Center? Could the hockey team play there? Could UST fold hockey?

Target Center used a new curtain system to block off the upper deck for a Lynx games this year. It was much improved and UST could use the same setup. The hockey goal cages are still hanging up in the back and they have a Zamboni. I’m not sure where the boards and glass went. Possibly to another ASM(formerly AEG) arena.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                            I guess the Tommie-Johnnie game followed by a possible United playoff game the next night will see how the brand new turf holds up.

Could the basketball team play at Target Center? Could the hockey team play there? Could UST fold hockey?

Target Center used a new curtain system to block off the upper deck for a Lynx games this year. It was much improved and UST could use the same setup. The hockey goal cages are still hanging up in the back and they have a Zamboni. I’m not sure where the boards and glass went. Possibly to another ASM(formerly AEG) arena.
                            As I've stated before (probably on a different forum) I think it would be imperative for UST to have a rink on - or very close to - campus. I don't know what kind of student attendance they get in Mendota Heights, but when I was there in the 80s, nobody wanted to go all the way to the Fairgrounds to watch a game.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                              As I've stated before (probably on a different forum) I think it would be imperative for UST to have a rink on - or very close to - campus. I don't know what kind of student attendance they get in Mendota Heights, but when I was there in the 80s, nobody wanted to go all the way to the Fairgrounds to watch a game.

Absolutely, I don’t think there’s a lot of space over there. Maybe buy some land at the old Ford Plant. Or over by Allianz. I don’t think that area would be ideal for St. Thomas though. The X or Target Center could work in the interim. If those arenas want to. I’m guessing attendance won’t be great the first couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                                Money will not be a problem for St. Thomas.
                                People keep saying this but they'll need SO much money for a move to DI. I don't know much about their finances but it seems like a big stretch.
                                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Working...
                                X