Starting D1 Hockey Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

I'm sure this has been posted a million times in other locations, but this seems legit https://jlgice.com/projects/indiana-...tics-pavilion/

They have obviously have a track record of building facilities, including many top DI buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by HofstraHockey View Post
      I'm sure this has been posted a million times in other locations, but this seems legit https://jlgice.com/projects/indiana-...tics-pavilion/

They have obviously have a track record of building facilities, including many top DI buildings.
      I don't believe this has been posted before today. It looks like nice D1 college hockey arena.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
        I don't believe this has been posted before today. It looks like nice D1 college hockey arena.
        It was. The old Ralph even hosted the Frozen Four in 1983.

The idea of buying it, dismantling it, shipping it four states over, and rebuilding & retrofitting it is interesting. Of course they still have to create the infrastructure, and I have no idea what kind of shape the ice plant is in.

The original Palestra in Marquette was moved in a similar fashion when it came from Laurium (next to Calumet, MI) where it was built as the world's first indoor ice arena. They did it in 1921 and it took 55 days. It stood very close to where the Berry Events Center is now at the corner of 3rd Street and Fair Avenue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestra_(Michigan)

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          Are the men practicing at Ridder or something?
          The men do practice at Ridder from time to time, and you’re also not very likely to have St Thomas playing at Ridder while the Gophers are playing across the hallway at Mariucci.
          Last edited by davyd83; 05-08-2020, 12:55 PM.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            The men do practice at Ridder from time to time, and your also not very likely to have St Thomas playing at Ridder while the Gophers are playing across the hallway at Mariucci.
            Besides, why would the Gophers rent their ice to a competitor in their market?
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I've never even heard of such a process of basically moving the guts of an arena across the country so it can be repurposed. Very cool.

Comment

• But most important, does this mean Indiana is the next DI school??

Comment

Originally posted by HofstraHockey View Post
                  But most important, does this mean Indiana is the next DI school??
                  Could be.
                  Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                  dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                  wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

That concept isn’t nothing, that’s for sure. Any school that’s hired a consulting firm, looked into an arena with ice or otherwise done anything public would be on the list of possibilities.

Indiana would, I suppose, join the list.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• The JLGice page about the Indiana Sports Pavilion was published on January 10, 2014. Modified on September 16, 2019.

A quick skim of articles about old Englestad says last week they razed the lobby first. The JLGice site shows a brand new lobby.

In a Grand Forks Herald article, there is an ambiguous quote towards the end. They are removing and salvaging parts of the main arena. Why they are it doesn’t say.

The mystery deepens.

Moving to a personal note. I lived in Indiana recently. I knew only two people who liked hockey. One was a former member of Miami’s hockey pep band. The other one owned the Indy Fuel hockey team (my girlfriend was an exec at his company).

My experience was what it was. It doesn’t mean Indiana is undeserving of a hockey team. Adding hockey is more than welcomed. If I still lived there, I would have certainly embraced Hoosier hockey.
                      Last edited by Ol’ Bill Diehl; 05-09-2020, 11:34 AM.

Comment

As far as hockey goes, there’s obviously a huge difference between South Bend and southern Indiana

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Dan Rubin has the first of a three-part series on LIU on USCHO today. Derek Schooley, Guy Gadowsky, and Greg Powers all talk about what they had to do as new programs in all three installments.

https://www.uscho.com/2020/05/11/loo...in-in-2020-21/

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                            Dan Rubin has the first of a three-part series on LIU on USCHO today. Derek Schooley, Guy Gadowsky, and Greg Powers all talk about what they had to do as new programs in all three installments.

https://www.uscho.com/2020/05/11/loo...in-in-2020-21/
                            Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

There are some dominos that could fall that would give LIU some inroads at AHA, but what I find most interesting is that the East is about to face a similar issue to what the West was facing in the brief period post-CHA, pre-Penn State: conferences full to the brim, with no room for new programs to go.

After 2010, we had a 12-team WCHA and an 11-team CCHA, with Huntsville in the lurch. Even if the CCHA wanted to take on another team, they were going to be very selective about it.

I think we could say the same thing about the 11-team Hockey East, 12-team ECAC and 11-team AHA. The ECAC can’t take on anyone (and it’s probably a narrow list of who they would even be bothered to consider), and I imagine the AHA is waiting on Navy then will close its doors to newcomers.

I don’t recall Joe Bertagna being too concerned with adding a twelfth when he was on the USCHO podcasts, but maybe that changes soon? Even if they did, I wonder how selective they’d be about who they consider.

Point being: Short of some realignment magic (a few scenarios are out there, some more plausible than others), I don’t think LIU is going to have a home anytime soon. Not without an ice arena and/or plenty of fan support.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                                There are some dominos that could fall that would give LIU some inroads at AHA, but what I find most interesting is that the East is about to face a similar issue to what the West was facing in the brief period post-CHA, pre-Penn State: conferences full to the brim, with no room for new programs to go.

After 2010, we had a 12-team WCHA and an 11-team CCHA, with Huntsville in the lurch. Even if the CCHA wanted to take on another team, they were going to be very selective about it.

I think we could say the same thing about the 11-team Hockey East, 12-team ECAC and 11-team AHA. The ECAC can’t take on anyone (and it’s probably a narrow list of who they would even be bothered to consider), and I imagine the AHA is waiting on Navy then will close its doors to newcomers.

I don’t recall Joe Bertagna being too concerned with adding a twelfth when he was on the USCHO podcasts, but maybe that changes soon? Even if they did, I wonder how selective they’d be about who they consider.

Point being: Short of some realignment magic (a few scenarios are out there, some more plausible than others), I don’t think LIU is going to have a home anytime soon. Not without an ice arena and/or plenty of fan support.
                                You and your dang realism, kind of bums me out! What are your thoughts on St. Thomas mixing up the conferences, and I suppose ASU also?

Comment

Working...
                                X