Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    So, if I’m reading all the tea leaves correctly:

Illinois was ****ed close to announcing their program. Economic uncertainty due to COVID 19 has delayed that. For how long depends on how much funding is impacted.

CHN columnists are basically confirming the exact same story for Navy.

St Thomas… some unknowns there but as far as we know they would’ve been approved to transition to D-I by now (and that may still happen soon).

And LIU just decided “**** it, were doing it in four months with almost no budget or plan”.

This could’ve been one of the most bonkers off seasons we’ve seen outside of The Great Realignment.
    Going to be interesting if Oakland University takes the plunge soon too after their feasibility study. The other wildcard is High Point University in NC announced they’re building a D1 hockey facility in their 10 year, $1 billion dollar growth plan essentially saying they’re going D1 too.

Also, totally agree with everyone on Sacred Heart joining the Hockey East. I think it’s essentially a done deal when the arena is built. After getting burned by UConn stating they’d build a 4,000 seat on campus hockey arena “within time” after joining the conference, hockey East isn’t taking anyone’s word for it until it’s done. Who knows, with all the delays UConn’s arena planning and feasibility studies have resulted in, Sacred Heart May have a 4,000 seat on campus arena before UConn even starts construction on their 2,500 seat arena.

Would love to see Penn land a big donor and start up the program again. Ivy League going out on their own would cause massive massive chaos on the landscape.

Comment

Originally posted by sigx15 View Post
      Would love to see Penn land a big donor and start up the program again. Ivy League going out on their own would cause massive massive chaos on the landscape.
      They already got that big endowment grant during the past season to update their rink (which, other than being old and lacking amenities, is suitable enough from a capacity standpoint).

But, and an ECAC poster can clarify better than I, as fun as it would be to see an Ivy-ECAC split, I don’t think there’s any desire on the schools’ part.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

I thought you were high when you said that part about High Point University (a school I hadn’t heard of until your post).

But sure enough…

http://www.highpoint.edu/blog/2019/0...on-investment/

Now, does that mean anything real, or is this another Liberty situation?

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

The one thing I would say is that the DC-Maryland-Virginia (DMV) region collectively has the highest “USA hockey registrations to non-NHL hockey attendance” ratios (a thing I started looking at when I was bored a few months back)...The Capitols may well take up all of that demand, but theoretically there’s plenty of demand for hockey out there.
          Copied from the Illinois thread: "...the Washington Caps are wildly popular in the DMV and youth hockey in this part of the world is stronger than it has ever been. So D1 college hockey at places like Navy, Maryland, and George Mason would likely have success. As noted, Navy already has a rink and George Mason has an ice-making capability at its Patriot Center arena. Georgetown and George Washington would very much be longshots as they would need to build arenas and have precious little available land on which to build anything."

In the Baltimore area, Johns Hopkins, Towson, Loyola, and Maryland-Baltimore County all have long-established ACHA programs but all except Hopkins are short on resources. Interestingly, Johns Hopkins is already a B1G associate member for lacrosse.

Then there's Delaware, which also has a well-established ACHA program and an on-campus rink. D1 college hockey would work well there.

They [Penn] already got that big endowment grant during the past season to update their rink (which, other than being old and lacking amenities, is suitable enough from a capacity standpoint).....fun as it would be to see an Ivy-ECAC split, I don’t think there’s any desire on the schools’ part.
          Penn had a competitive ECAC team from the mid-'60s thru 1977-78 when the Penn administration suddenly pulled the plug. I was at the first game they played after the announcement (vs Northeastern in Boston). The "PENN" logo on the jerseys was covered over, NU fans applauded them during player intros, and then they played like they were pixxed off at the world. Lots of penalties that night, IIRC. Penn won.

There was no move by the Ivies to go it alone at that time and I don't think there would be now if Penn were to miraculously resurrect.
          Last edited by Split-N; 05-04-2020, 10:49 AM.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
            In the Baltimore area, Johns Hopkins ...
            Johns Hopkins is D-III in everything except men's and women's lacrosse, which are grandfathered (and grandmothered I guess?). They could have a D-III varsity program but the NCAA's moratorium on playing up to D-I would prevent them from adding hockey unless they take everything D-I.

Comment

I did a litte reasearch about High Point University in NC and they penned a D1 hockey facility.

HPU ANNOUNCES 10-YEAR GROWTH PLAN, $1 BILLION INVESTMENT

* $300 million in new construction, including a new library, academic building, admissions center and Division I ice hockey facility
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                Johns Hopkins is D-III in everything except men's and women's lacrosse, which are grandfathered (and grandmothered I guess?). They could have a D-III varsity program but the NCAA's moratorium on playing up to D-I would prevent them from adding hockey unless they take everything D-I.
                Point taken. Thanx.
                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by sigx15 View Post
                  Who knows, with all the delays UConn’s arena planning and feasibility studies have resulted in, Sacred Heart May have a 4,000 seat on campus arena before UConn even starts construction on their 2,500 seat arena.
                  Given the crowds they get in Hartford, UConn would be insane to build only a 2,500 seat rink. I am not sure what goes on behind the scenes but has UConn playing in Hartford caused Hockey East a lot of headaches?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    Given the crowds they get in Hartford, UConn would be insane to build only a 2,500 seat rink. I am not sure what goes on behind the scenes but has UConn playing in Hartford caused Hockey East a lot of headaches?
                    Headaches no, but it’s been...kind of a feeling like we aren’t living up to our end of the bargain with the delays and redesigns and proposing an undersized rink when they KNEW there was a minimum standard* to meet.

I don’t know how much of this is FAN disappointment versus league or constituent member disappointment though.

EDIT to add: people aren’t really fans of midweek and Saturday afternoon games either, but that’s what happens when you’re fourth banana behind two basketball teams and an AHL club.

And I think 3000 or 3500 makes more sense for us, especially if we can build in a couple hundred more in SRO capacity, but built right and promoted well with students and statewide hockey fans to get them to think its worth going all the way to Cow Town, alongside a winning team, 2.5K can be plenty intimidating.

*Whether it makes sense for us to build bigger in this current environment of steadily declining attendance across the board and a feeling that many recent new arena projects were overbuilt, not for any fault of the teams in question, is a different story.
                    Last edited by kingdobbs; 05-04-2020, 02:04 PM.
                    UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

• Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

Just seems like building a 2,500 seat on campus rink just so it can be on campus is backwards thinking when you look at the Hartford crowds. Is the fear that if they do build a rink in Storrs, crowds wouldn't be as good as in Hartford? Or is 2,500 on the table because it's cheaper?

Comment

• Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        It's no secret that HE wants to add a 12th team. Ideally I think Holy Cross would be the better addition but they aren't making the commitment SH is.
                        Holy Cross has the inside track because their women's program has already made the jump to Hockey East.
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          Holy Cross has the inside track because their women's program has already made the jump to Hockey East.
                          Only if they make a commitment like Sacred Heart is.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            Just seems like building a 2,500 seat on campus rink just so it can be on campus is backwards thinking when you look at the Hartford crowds. Is the fear that if they do build a rink in Storrs, crowds wouldn't be as good as in Hartford? Or is 2,500 on the table because it's cheaper?
                            What UConn is doing with their arena is completely bizarre. From the outside looking in, it seems like they don’t have the support for the money it’d take to build a 4,000 seat arena. They’re building a $45 million arena with $22.5 million as a downpayment with a developer covering the rest. They’re then leasing it for $1.6 million a year for 30 years and then will own it. Below is a good article on it.

Just shows the difference with a private institution vs. a public vs. a public with a huge donor. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sacred Heart already has a handshake deal to enter Hockey East once their arena is done, it makes too much sense. Deep pockets, willing to invest, almost 6k undergrads, and in southern CT where Hockey East doesn’t currently have a presence.

https://www.courant.com/sports/hockey/hc-sp-uconn-board-of-trustees-committees-discuss-financial-plan-for-ice-hockey-arena-20181029-story.html

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              The fear is credible, speaking candidly, that overbuilding in our current athletic performance and financial ebb, and in a general trend of declining in person attendance overall in sporting (plus now there’s also corona), gives us another white elephant* like Rentschler Field.

A Power 5 invite ain’t coming tomorrow or any time soon (or probably ever( so we can’t spend like it.

*It wasn’t one at the time, but white elephants rarely start as white elephants.
                              UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                                Copied from the Illinois thread: "...the Washington Caps are wildly popular in the DMV and youth hockey in this part of the world is stronger than it has ever been. So D1 college hockey at places like Navy, Maryland, and George Mason would likely have success. As noted, Navy already has a rink and George Mason has an ice-making capability at its Patriot Center arena. Georgetown and George Washington would very much be longshots as they would need to build arenas and have precious little available land on which to build anything."

In the Baltimore area, Johns Hopkins, Towson, Loyola, and Maryland-Baltimore County all have long-established ACHA programs but all except Hopkins are short on resources. Interestingly, Johns Hopkins is already a B1G associate member for lacrosse.

Then there's Delaware, which also has a well-established ACHA program and an on-campus rink. D1 college hockey would work well there.
                                This is the classic College Hockey Fan Talking About Expansion blunder.

You have:
                                - A gap in the market
                                - A list of schools in the area

And that’s it. Other than Navy absolutely none of them have had any public inclination to investigate the concept of hockey. No arenas being proposed outside of Navy. No rumors, no feasibility studies, no consultants, nothing. How many of them even have a club team drawing more than a sorority every game?

If I’m making a list of schools with potential (and out of boredom, I have), I’m putting the ones who’ve actually expressed an interest up top, a list of schools with new arenas in the works next, and schools with popular club teams after that. Maybe schools who have gotten involved in hosting neutral sites or NCAA games, or just for kicks think of some that have had long held “rumors”. LIU seems to tell me I should keep a closer eye on news out of Syracuse and Lindenwood, I guess.

At the very end of that list, with a 0-0.5% possibility of ever happening? That’s where I would put the schools that some poster thought “would be successful” purely for geographic or whatever reasons. They can sit there with Texas and the entire SEC and Iowa State and Marquette and Rutgers and Louisville.

Comment

Working...
                                X