Starting D1 Hockey Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

I know no more than the average idiot about such things.

If I make any assumptions, I’ll use the following rules:
    - Does the existing conference have requirements that [potential new member] may or may not meet?
    - Does [potential new member] have any relationship to schools in the existing conference?

St Thomas probably isn’t meeting anyone’s conference requirements overnight. They play in a high school rink.

That said, if they are successful in joining the Summit League, that gives them a relationship to Denver, NoDak and Omaha. That’s not an ironclad guarantee of anything (especially without the arena or proven fan base), just look at how the Northeast Conference, Northern Sun, MAC, Patriot League, etc schools are split up in the college hockey conferences.

But one must imagine that it’s at least a foot in the door, right? It’s not nothing… maybe a helpful way to get non-conference matchups in the worst case.

But, for as many reasons as I could theorize that they could end up in the NCHC or the CCHA, we could probably surmise an equal number of plausible reasons that neither could happen. Who knows?
    Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 05-11-2020, 10:10 AM.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Bertagna might not have mentioned it but I have heard it talked about before. Coaches want a 12th team. Makes a big difference in scheduling. Now, they're not going to add just anybody. There really are two choices. If everything goes well with Sacred Heart's rink and they get an uptick in recruiting etc...they are the program to watch. Or, with Holy Cross women already in Hockey East...if they make a Sacred Heart like commitment it could be them. That's the list as I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Bertagna might not have mentioned it but I have heard it talked about before. Coaches want a 12th team. Makes a big difference in scheduling. Now, they're not going to add just anybody. There really are two choices. If everything goes well with Sacred Heart's rink and they get an uptick in recruiting etc...they are the program to watch. Or, with Holy Cross women already in Hockey East...if they make a Sacred Heart like commitment it could be them. That's the list as I see it.
        If HEA had a magic wand, it would make a Rhode Island or maybe a Syracuse magically appear. But either of those is as much a fantasy as a magic wand, so its back to Holy Cross, which has an existing relationship with the league and easy travel (except from Maine and Vermont) but no acceptable rink, or Sacred Heart, which is lesser known and not as convenient, but will have an attractive on-campus venue and potential to grow a fan base. I just don't see QPac giving up its position as a perennial ECAC power to become part of the HEA pack.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          I know no more than the average idiot about such things.

If I make any assumptions, I’ll use the following rules:
          - Does the existing conference have requirements that [potential new member] may or may not meet?
          - Does [potential new member] have any relationship to schools in the existing conference?

St Thomas probably isn’t meeting anyone’s conference requirements overnight. They play in a high school rink.

That said, if they are successful in joining the Summit League, that gives them a relationship to Denver, NoDak and Omaha. That’s not an ironclad guarantee of anything (especially without the arena or proven fan base), just look at how the Northeast Conference, Northern Sun, MAC, Patriot League, etc schools are split up in the college hockey conferences.

But one must imagine that it’s at least a foot in the door, right? It’s not nothing… maybe a helpful way to get non-conference matchups in the worst case.

But, for as many reasons as I could theorize that they could end up in the NCHC or the CCHA, we could probably surmise an equal number of plausible reasons that neither could happen. Who knows?
          I didn't want to say anything about being an average or above average ............ but it did remind me of a staff meeting I was once in as a freshly minted engineer and the boss told another young engineer that as a result of a safety incident a design change was needed, and to emphasize he said "don't take this wrong but we can't do a half azz job on this". So I spoke us and said "I'll help him and we'll make it a full azz job........."

Comment

Sacred Heart to Hockey East, LIU to Atlantic.

Comment

Gonna take a few years but that's what I think happens. Atlantic would then still have 11 teams and room for Navy.

Comment

I don't know why an odd number of teams messes with everyone's head. It's pretty simple:

· 10 opponents, minimum 20 games
                · Can play rotate playing H&H with half the league to get to 30 if you really wanted
                · Could make the regular season mean something by loading up the schedules of the top teams with last season's weaklings

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

I mean, it's obviously doable. Hockey East had a period where there were 9 teams and now 11. It's just easier with an even number when it comes to scheduling. Look at the end of season schedule in Hockey East. Not what you're looking for as the regular season winds down.

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    I don't know why an odd number of teams messes with everyone's head. It's pretty simple:

· 10 opponents, minimum 20 games
                    · Can play rotate playing H&H with half the league to get to 30 if you really wanted
                    · Could make the regular season mean something by loading up the schedules of the top teams with last season's weaklings

GFM
                    It blows my mind as well. But then again, you and I lived through the 5 team CHA scheduling days. Nothing better than a 24 game conference schedule.
                    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                      It blows my mind as well. But then again, you and I lived through the 5 team CHA scheduling days. Nothing better than a 24 game conference schedule.
                      Which is why I'd like to see the CCHA stay at 7. Four games against each of the other six is a nice balanced schedule. If other leagues also have odd numbers, scheduling OOC games should be easier for the one team without a league series.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

11 is different because for a balanced schedule you'd have either 20 or 30 league games. 20 isn't a horrible idea but that just means more non conference slots you have to fill. But you could certainly play league opponents in non league games. The headache is with scheduling, especially at the end of the year where it's down to all league games.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey NoNo View Post
                          Sacred Heart to Hockey East, LIU to Atlantic.
                          Sacred Heart is a long way from HE. First of all, with the pandemic throwing a monkey wrench into all school budgets, planning and capital projects, the new arena construction that was supposed to start this summer is on hold. I haven't heard a revised schedule and I'm sure all projects will be re-evaluated. Their team also had a great season, but it was their first winning slate after 9 consecutive losing seasons. Lastly, they play most of their games before friends and family crowds. They will need to build the new arena, establish themselves as a consistent contender in the AHA and increase their typical attendance by many multiples before they will even be considered for HE

Comment

Hockey East will definitely want to see how it goes with them but the new arena would definitely put them on the radar. Would be nice if HC could make that same commitment.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Hockey East will definitely want to see how it goes with them but the new arena would definitely put them on the radar. Would be nice if HC could make that same commitment.
                              HC doesn't even have the money pay for travel to a scheduled game. They may not have the budget to remain D1.

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
                                HC doesn't even have the money pay for travel to a scheduled game. They may not have the budget to remain D1.
                                Holy Cross has quite a bit of money. Whether they choose to spend it on hockey is another matter. Despite having only about 1/2 as many students, CotHC, which has a long tradition in New England (pre-Flutie and the growth of big time athletics on Chestnut Hill it was the school of choice for NE male Catholics and BC was the fallback school), has about 4x the endowment of Sacred Heart ($600M+ versus $150M or so). That's what makes SHU's decision to spend $60M on a hockey rink, coming after many other major campus projects, so interesting. If they have a major sugar daddy bankrolling it they haven't announced it, so it seems like a major gamble on a sport that's been just a fringe element (playing in community rinks until recently) on their campus.

Comment

Working...
                                X