Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    The early going suggests that all four ranked teams in the WCHA are top heavy, in terms of relying on their first line to score. Wisconsin and Minnesota have kids on the other lines who have produced in the past, but for now, how the top lines match up will go a long way to deciding these games.
    So far, Ohio State has eleven different goal scorers; Minn and Wisconsin each have nine. But Minn has seven different scorers with more than one goal, Wisconsin with five, OSU with four.

And it is really, really early to draw much significance from such stats.

Comment

I agree with Robert on this subject. I think it's a little early to draw conclusions based on stats from the first four games. I like crunching numbers as much as the next fan, but I think four games is too small of a sample size.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        No argument here. I'm trying to figure out if OSU is top heavy too.
        No doubt about it, I think the first line will produce more points than the other two lines. But as of now the scoring has been relatively even on lines. 1st has 5, 2nd has 3 and the 3rd has 3 goals. It is the power play that has been stealing the show. It's better than any Badger power play I have seen this early.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
          I agree with Robert on this subject. I think it's a little early to draw conclusions based on stats from the first four games. I like crunching numbers as much as the next fan, but I think four games is too small of a sample size.
          It's never too early to draw conclusions. Obviously UW and OSU are going undefeated based on the current sample size.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by timothy a View Post
            it's never too early to draw conclusions. Obviously uw and osu are going undefeated based on the current sample size.
            For sure!

Comment

Never too early for hot stove league chat. But the original question has another problem beyond small sample: Coaches are still tinkering with line combinations.

What constitutes a 1st Line goal? Suppose a player has a productive game on the 2nd Line, then gets promoted to the top unit. Does she bring her stats along with her to the 1st Line? Or does the 2nd Line keep those points, regardless of who's now on it? As everyone probably recalls, this scenario occurred during the St. Lawrence series.

Nothing to lose sleep over. But this makes it even tougher to find a definitive answer.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                What constitutes a 1st Line goal?
                I won't speak for others, but here was my thinking. I've only seen one of the WCHA's ranked teams thus far. The Gophers' line with Heise isn't that far ahead on points of the line with Wente, but the eye test says that it is quite a bit more advanced at this point. For UMD and OSU, they have two types of lines: those that have a Gabbie Hughes or Emma Maltais, and those that don't. Maybe one of the Buckeye rookies, for example, will turn out to be an absolute phenom and change my thinking, but at this point, that's how it looks to me. Mark Johnson has had past teams where he knew who his top three forwards were, but he chose to not play them together much of the time. But when he had a big game or needed a goal, then surprise! Here comes Decker centering Knight and Duggan/Prévost, depending on the year.

You're right that these coaches will tinker, and I realize that October lines won't necessarily be the same come March, or even the next shift. But coming on the heels of a season where Wisconsin and Minnesota at least were balanced more than usual, this year looks like one where the league may return to a battle of the big hammers atop the line chart.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

#1 Wisconsin took game one earlier tonight by a final score of 3-0 in a game that was closer than that final score would indicate. Ohio State had trouble getting much going as they were whistled for seven penalties to Wisconsin's three. After a scoreless first period, the Badgers opened the scoring in the second period on a power play goal from Abby Roque. Ohio State appeared to tie the game later in the second period with a goal but it was waved off due to an Ohio State player being in the crease. The score stayed 1-0 until Daryl Watts added an empty-netter with a little less than two minutes to go in the game to make it 2-0 Badgers. The Buckeyes were whistled for their seventh penalty with less than a minute to go and Wisconsin got another goal, this one from Mekenzie Steffen. The Badgers continue to roll. The positives for the Bucks are the penalty kill continues to be solid for the most part as they killed 5 of the 7 Wisconsin power plays. That is saying something as Wisconsin came into the game hitting a red-hot 50% of their power plays (7-14). Until today, the Buckeye penalty kill was perfect. Another positive for the Bucks was the continued stellar play of sophomore goaltender Andrea Braendli, who stopped 25 of the 27 shots she faced. Her counterpart, Kristen Campbell, stopped all 17 shots she faced. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 3:07 pm.

Comment

Final Score From Friday, October 11th
                    Wisconsin 3
                    Ohio State 0

Energetic Seniors, Power Play Fuel Badger Victory;
                    Daryl Provides Additional Wattage

Three seasons of WCHA play. If it doesn't kill you off, you emerge stronger. A National Title. Gives you a certain amount of swagger. The Badger Seniors have those things, and did themselves proud Friday. As you'll see, three of them are recognized as the top 3 Stars. And while Presley Norby and Alexis Mauerman didn't make my final list, both played quite well & would have been worthy.

Now there is another way to look at Friday's game. 5 on 5, it was a scoreless tie. It took 2 Power Play Goals & 1 Empty-Netter to break through. The defenses were that stingy. But the man advantage situations opened the door just a crack, and it was the Badgers that took advantage.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Honorable Mention: Jincy Dunne, Ohio State
                    Oh, what might have been. In the first period, Jincy slammed the puck off a goalpost. In the third, she nailed the Badger keeper in the shoulder with a shot. OK, the keeper was pretty well positioned. But there was space, and she didn't move until after the puck hit her. With just a little puck, we could have been talking about a 2-1 Buckeye win, with Dunne as the runaway #1 Star. But on this night it wasn't meant to be.

Naturally Jincy was at the core of the outstanding defensive effort. Dunne had three blocked shots for the night. She earned her mention at both ends of the rink.

#4 Star: Daryl Watts, Wisconsin
                    As the Brady Bunch once told us in song, When It's Time To Change, You've Got To Re-Arrange. Watts made the change; the Badgers re-arranged. I'll re-arrange also. For one post only, I've added a 4th Star of the Game.

Daryl fits in nicely, and is clearly hungry to succeed. On the GWG, she essentially won a puck battle with a teammate! She knew what she wanted to do, and she was right -- firing a crisp, perfect pass to the goal scorer. No puck battle on the final goal of the game. But once again, an ideal pass to set up the goal scorer. In between, Watts buried a calm, confident empty-netter. All told, a 3 point night. With a point on every goal scored. Welcome to the WCHA, Daryl!

#3 Star: (tie)Kristen Campbell, Wisconsin and Andrea Braendli, Ohio State
                    Strong goaltending on Friday. By shutting out a fine Buckeye team, Kristen pretty much locked down a Star. Yes, she had lots of help. But Campbell did a lot more than hold serve. Calm, steady and well-positioned, she rarely gave the Buckeyes a second chance.

At the same time, Andrea deserves similar praise. The Badgers really had to work to get a shot by her. It might be asked: What score would be most indicative of the game, as it actually played out? My nomination would be 1-0 Badgers.

#2 Star: Mekenzie Steffen, Wisconsin
                    As good as the goalies were, the defenses were even better. A review of the shot charts shows most of the shots coming from the perimeter. Credit for that goes to the 'D,' with Steffen leading the way for the Badgers. Mekenzie's stats include a coupled of blocks. But even more to the point, her seasoned skill & relentless hustle were valuable assets for the Visitors.

On offense, Steffen completed the scoring with a fine ripper from the point. Like her Buckeye counterpart Jincy Dunne, Mekenzie earned her mention at both ends of the rink.

#1 Star: Abby Roque, Wisconsin
                    Abby was other-worldly in the face-off circle, winning 23 draws on 28 attempts. When you play on an intelligent team that possesses the puck well, that really sets the tone for the game. And in the waning moments, it was a Roque face-off win that initiated the final scoring play.

But the key play of the night was Abby's GWG. A big blast from up high gave the Badgers a lead they wouldn't relinquish. It forced the Buckeyes to play from behind for most of the game. Against UW, that's not a happy task.

2 scoring points earned; only missing out only on the empty-netter. And tons of leadership. On this night, Roque showed the Badgers the way to victory. It won't be the last time.

Up Next: Rematch With Wisconsin. Face-Off @ 3:07PM.
                    Last edited by pgb-ohio; 10-12-2019, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

The #1 Badgers completed the sweep today by a final score of 7-3. The difference in today's game was the power play. Wisconsin's power play was lethal today, hitting on all four of their power play chances. Ohio State had one power play and Wisconsin was able to kill it off. The Buckeyes did strike first today on a goal by Liz Schepers halfway through the first period. Wisconsin then got power play goals from Britta Curl and Maddie Rowe and the first period ended with the Badgers up 2-1. In the second period, Wisconsin picked up where they left off with a goal from Mekenzie Steffen to go up 3-1. To their credit, the Buckeyes fought back with a couple of even strength goals from Brooke Bink and Liz Schepers and the second period ended with a 3-3 score. The Badgers came out and took over in the third period with a power play goal from Mekenzie Steffen, a couple of even strength goals from Sophie Shirley and Abby Roque, and a final power play goal from Daryl Watts. SOG were a little lopsided in this one with Wisconsin winning that battle 43-21, although I don't have the numbers in front of me regarding how many of those shots on goal were on the four power plays. Andrea Braendli saved 36 of the 43 shots she faced. Badger backstop Kristen Campbell stopped 18 of the 21 shots she faced. Wisconsin will travel to New York next weekend for a pair of games against Long Island University. According to the schedule, one of those games will be played at Nassau Coliseum! Ohio State will head to Mankato to take on Minnesota State.

Comment

• And let me guess, once again the OSU loss was all the refs fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                          And let me guess, once again the OSU loss was all the refs fault.
                          That's a brutally unfair reading of this thread.

And let me guess. You didn't even read the thread before throwing your spitball.

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, October 12th
                            Wisconsin 7
                            Ohio State 3

What A Difference A Day Makes.
                            And Yet The Song Remains The Same.

Friday belonged the defenses. Saturday belonged to the offenses. Night & Day Difference. OK, Evening & Afternoon. But you get the idea.

Yet despite the stark contrast between the games, the superb Badger Power Play was once again the determining factor. On Friday, the Buckeyes took 7 minors. In response, the Badgers went a productive 2 for 7 with the man advantage. Clearly the Buckeyes needed to reduce their penalties. They did, taking a more reasonable 4 minors in the rematch. Stunningly, the Badgers responded by converting all four opportunities.

Another takeaway from Friday's match was that the Buckeyes really needed to score first to improve the chances of winning. They did. Enter the Badger Power Play, which produced two goals in the next 7 minutes to tie the game, then grab the lead.

Early in the 2nd Period, Wisconsin made it 3-1. Fall two goals behind UW and the game's over, correct? Not this time. The Buckeyes mounted an impressive comeback, knotting the score at 3-3. But 6:50 into the 3rd Period, re-enter the Badger Power Play for the GWG. Steffen from Roque & Shirley.

I still believe the Buckeyes will have an outstanding season. Both these teams are very much on the Stairway to Heaven. But this weekend it was the Badgers who showed how everything still turns to gold. In fact, so many UW players had the Midas Touch that some very worthy candidates were left off Saturday's list. Spreading the wealth was the main tiebreaker.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Honorable Mention: (tie)Liz Schepers, Ohio State, and Brooke Bink, Ohio State
                            Some nice sharp shooting Saturday by Liz & Brooke. Liz beat the Badger keeper in both the lower left & upper right corners. Brooke's quick release blast also found the upper right hand corner of the net.

#3 Star: Britta Curl, Wisconsin
                            Britta's impressive tip in the slot tied the score at 1. It was the first major turning point of the game.

#2 Star: Sophie Shirley, Wisconsin
                            Sophie's spectacular rush up the left wing restored the Badger's 2 goal lead, and essentially settled the issue. Add in her two assists and you've got a nice three point night for Shirley.

#1 Star: Daryl Watts, Wisconsin
                            Clearly Daryl makes the players around her better. She had the primary assist on both the Curl & Shirley goals. Overall, Watts had three primary assists on Saturday, for a total of FIVE primary assists on the weekend. After all of that generosity, Daryl decided to grab a goal for herself. Watts closed out the scoring at 17:23 of the third period.

Up Next: Road Trip To Mankato.

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                              That's a brutally unfair reading of this thread.

And let me guess. You didn't even read the thread before throwing your spitball.
                              I could have been clearer. I was referring to Muzz’s post-game comments where she suggested the refs were to blame and seemed to give no credit to WI. Your posts are very well done!

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                                I could have been clearer. I was referring to Muzz’s post-game comments where she suggested the refs were to blame and seemed to give no credit to WI. Your posts are very well done!
                                Your post was not clear on that, but I had a feeling you were talking about Coach's postgame comments from Friday's game. Our girls did some good things this weekend, but ultimately the better team came out on top. The challenge for our team will be to put this one behind them and get two wins in Mankato next weekend. Losing a pair of games to the #1 team in the country is not going to kill us in the PairWise rankings. Losing a game against an unranked Minnesota State is the kind of loss that will come back to haunt us in March. Wisconsin is so loaded. Now that I have seen them in person, I think they will repeat as National Champs. Last year we were able to split with them at home. That was not the case this time around. We have eight new freshmen and I think our team is still getting used to playing with each other. We will be better down the road.

Comment

Working...
                                X