Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
    Must have been a great game to attend for Buckeye fans. What drama!
    (In a Phineas & Ferb Accent) Yes. Yes it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
      Lol at 86 and PGB... the Buckeyes did answer my question positively for themselves, and I wasn’t prophetic afterall. Must have been a great game to attend for Buckeye fans. What drama!
      It was a great game to attend, and that was one of the loudest roars I have heard at an OSU Women's Hockey game in the OSU Ice Rink. It was an exciting finish for sure. I am just happy for the girls that they were rewarded for the push they made in that third period. Sometimes, the other team's goalie steals a game for her team and that almost happened Saturday. It would have been bad for the PairWise if we would have lost either game. Some would disagree and say "It's too early to be concerned with the PairWise," but that is not true, not in the least bit. Every game is important in the PairWise, whether it is against the top teams in the country like Wisconsin or Minnesota, or an unranked team. The PairWise is unforgiving when you lose to a team that is ranked below you, so I was really happy for our girls that they were able to gut that one out. It was a good character win, because even though they are unranked, St. Lawrence is a good team. We split with them on the road last season. Now our kids need to go up to St. Cloud and take care of business against the Huskies. St. Cloud has outstanding goalies so it will be a challenge, but they all are in the WCHA, especially on the road.

Comment

Bummed I decided to go to the first game and not the second. Sounds like it was an exciting one. Either way, great start. Glad to see so many eastern schools on the schedule this year too. Nice for variety.
        Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
        University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          (In a Phineas & Ferb Accent) Yes. Yes it was.
          Pgb, loved the Three Stars for Saturday's game ... another masterpiece.

Think my favorite part was the Gordon Lightfoot line from The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald ... "The Gales of November Came Early."
          Last edited by osualum86; 09-30-2019, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
            Bummed I decided to go to the first game and not the second. Sounds like it was an exciting one. Either way, great start.
            An argument can be made that Friday was the more impressive performance. After all, the Buckeyes had control of that game for most of the evening. Still, it's tough to argue with a fantastic finish. Saturday was definitely the more memorable game. Impressive vs. Memorable? Can't really go wrong.

Glad to see so many eastern schools on the schedule this year too. Nice for variety.
            Very true.

And yet, I do wish we had an annual series with Penn State; it would be good to see them in Columbus every other year. And it's always fun & challenging to play Mercyhurst.

But yeah, I know. So many appealing options, so few available slots... I'm sure we can all agree that Coach has put together a very attractive schedule.

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
            Pgb, loved the Three Stars for Saturday's game ... another masterpiece.
            Thanks much, I appreciate that. Special game; a little extra creativity seemed to be in order.

Thank my favorite part was the Gordon Lightfoot line from The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald ... "The Gales of November Came Early."
            Well, the date was September 28th and the outdoor air temperature was in the high 80's. That's about as early as you can get for a hockey "gale."

Comment

Ohio State took game one earlier tonight in a game that might be characterized as the "Emma Maltais Show." I know this is a team game, and the win tonight was certainly a team win, but it is next to impossible to ignore Emma's four-goal game in the 5-2 win. Ohio State opened the scoring on a Rebecca Freiburger power play goal and the first period came to a close with the Buckeyes leading 1-0. Early in the second period, Maltais lit the lamp to put the Buckeyes up 2-0. Later in the period, former Buckeye Dana Rasmussen scored for the Huskies to cut the lead in half. Emma Maltais answered for the Bucks to make the score 3-1 and that is how the second period ended. Maltais opened the scoring in the third period with her third goal, which put the Bucks up 4-1. The Huskies' Hallie Theodosopoulos answered to bring St. Cloud to within two goals at 4-2. Goal #4 for Emma Maltais was an empty netter at the end after the Huskies had pulled goaltender Janine Alder for an extra attacker. The Buckeyes outshot St. Cloud 38-18. Huskies goaltender Janine Alder was outstanding as usual, stopping 33 of the 37 shots she faced and did her best to keep her team in the game. Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli was stingy as well, stopping 16 of the 18 shots she faced. Each team had two power plays. The Buckeyes scored on one of their power plays. The Huskies were 0-2 on the power play. The teams are back at it tomorrow at 2:07 pm CST.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                Ohio State took game one earlier tonight in a game that might be characterized as the "Emma Maltais Show."
                Emma handled the Show; you handled the Tell. Thanks for the recap.

Comment

You're welcome, Pgb! Need to finish the job today on this "business trip," as Coach Muzerall said.

Comment

Ohio State finished the job today with a 6-2 win over the St. Cloud State Huskies. The Buckeyes got a first-period goal from Tatum Skaggs and led 1-0 at the first intermission. The second period was the decisive period in this one as the Buckeyes came out and put four more goals on the board. Sara Saekkinen lit the lamp for the first time this season to give the Buckeyes a 2-0 lead. Tatum Skaggs scored her second goal of the game to put Ohio State up 3-0. Brooke Bink scored her first goal as a Buckeye to make it 4-0 in favor of Ohio State. Eve Savander scored her first-ever goal as a Buckeye to make the score 5-0. That was how the second period ended. The Huskies got a goal from Abby Thiessen to cut the Buckeye lead to 5-1. Ohio State answered to make the score 6-1 on Sara Saekkinen's second goal of the game. St. Cloud lit the lamp on a goal from Brooke Kudirka and that is how it ended, 6-2 Bucks. Ohio State outshot St. Cloud 35-23. St. Cloud goaltender Emma Polusny saved 29 of the 35 shots she faced. Buckeye backstop Andrea Braendli stopped 21 of the 23 shots she faced to get the win. The Buckeyes will return home to welcome in #1-ranked and defending National Champion Wisconsin next weekend. The Huskies will look to rebound as they head to Rochester, NY, to take on RIT.

Comment

Are your top 3 scoring F's on the same line? I'm trying to get a feel for OSU's depth @ F.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Well shoot, Timothy...tough to read the doggone box score .pdf files on my phone. Give me a few minutes and I'll see what I can do. Thankfully, we are only four games in.

Comment

Timothy ... here ya go.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/wp-con...SCSU-Box-2.pdf

We have multiple points from four different lines of forwards, as well as multiple points from four different lines of D's.

16 of our 21 forwards and D's have pointed this season.

Think it is safe to say we are as deep as we have been in a long time, maybe as deep as we have ever been.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            Are your top 3 scoring F's on the same line? I'm trying to get a feel for OSU's depth @ F.
                            One might point out that Wisconsin's current top three scorers all play on the same line, too.

Just sayin'...

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                              One might point out that Wisconsin's current top three scorers all play on the same line, too.

Just sayin'...
                              No argument here. I'm trying to figure out if OSU is top heavy too.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                I'm trying to figure out if OSU is top heavy too.
                                The early going suggests that all four ranked teams in the WCHA are top heavy, in terms of relying on their first line to score. Wisconsin and Minnesota have kids on the other lines who have produced in the past, but for now, how the top lines match up will go a long way to deciding these games.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X