Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

The Bucks started the season with a solid 4-1 win over a good St. Lawrence team. I don't have the box score in front of me but I think the SOG numbers were 41-24 in favor of the Buckeyes. I'll have more later when I can get on the laptop.

Comment

I'd like Mr.PGB to let us know what the official time of that second goal was. I'm wondering if it was under a second left in the period?

Comment

Back in a room with the laptop and I have the box score in front of me, so I will answer Hockeybuckeye's question ... time of the second goal was 18:25. As I said earlier, the Buckeyes took down a game St. Lawrence squad earlier tonight by a final score of 4-1. With two goals and an assist for a three-point night, I am guessing junior forward Liz Schepers is going to appear in Pgb's Three Stars of the Game! Another possible star of the game might be OSU backstop Andrea Braendli, who stopped 24 of the 25 shots she faced. Saints' goaltender Jaimie Rainville was solid tonight as well, stopping 37 of the 40 shots she faced. In addition to the big night for Liz Schepers, the other Buckeye goals were scored by sophomore defenseman Sophie Jaques and sophomore forward Paetyn Levis. St. Lawrence's goal was scored by Brittney Gout. The Bucks outshot St. Lawrence 41-25 on the night. The big period was the first where Ohio State outshot St. Lawrence 21-6 and went into the first intermission with a 2-0 lead. Each team scored a goal in the second period and the teams went into the second intermission with the score 3-1 in favor of Ohio State. Liz Schepers sealed the deal with an empty netter that made the score 4-1. Another factor in this one was Ohio State's penalty kill, which was perfect on the night at 4-for-4. The two teams are back at it tomorrow. Game time is 3:07 pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          I'd like Mr.PGB to let us know what the official time of that second goal was. I'm wondering if it was under a second left in the period?
          The literal answer is 18:25 of the 1st Period.

My initial reaction was . But then I realized you probably were referring to a goal that was waived off. Properly waived off, IMHO. Seemed clear that the puck crossed the line well after the horn sounded.

Now had the puck gotten in just under the wire, the time would have been 19:59. As I'm sure you know! A penalty can be recorded at the 20:00 mark, but a goal has to beat the horn.

Comment

Final Score From Friday, September 27th
            Ohio State 4
            St. Lawrence 1

School's Back In Session; First Test Goes Well

For the second straight year, the Buckeyes opened the season by welcoming a fine ECAC team to the Ice Rink. Once again, fans were treated to a fast-paced, skillful opener. Both teams rose to the occasion; exceeding normal expectations for non-conference play in September.

OK, the assignments are going to get tougher as the semester goes along. But good preparation & execution? Certainly preferable to the alternative. Hockey GPA's are on the rise!

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

St. Lawrence Honorable Mention: Top Two Centers
            1st Line Center Brittney Gout: Brittney bagged the loan Saints Goal, steering a feed from Maggie McLaughlin into the net. For her part, Maggie won a contested puck along the right wing boards before sending the puck into the slot.

2nd Line Center Kayla Vespa: The aptly named Vespa proved to be as quick & maneuverable as an Italian scooter. Can't really point to anything on the scoresheet to justify my selection; I'll just say Kayla's talent & determination caught my eye.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Two Members of the Freshman Class
            Freshman Defender Teghan Inglis: Teghan ignited the first scoring play by ripping a nice shot from the left circle. On the defensive end, Inglis made a solid contribution with 3 Blocked Shots. Teghan hails from Okotoks, Alberta. Welcome to Ohio State, Teghan!

Freshman Wing Brooke Bink: Hustle is good. And tonight Brooke's hustle yielded 7 Shots On Goal, leading all players. Brook comes to us from the U.P. -- specifically Escanaba. Welcome to Ohio State, Brooke!

#3 Star: Jincy Dunne, Ohio State
            The Buckeye 'D' made it difficult for the Saints to get comfortable in the offensive zone. Jincy, as usual, was at the heart of that effort. And when St. Lawrence did get shots launched? Dunne alone accounted for 8, count 'em 8, shot blocks. More than double the number accomplished by anyone else on either team.

#2 Star: (tie) Sophie Jaques, Ohio State and Paetyn Levis, Ohio State
            Both Sophie & Paetyn had a goal and an assist; productive 2 point nights. +1 for Jaques; +2 for Levis. Fine production from the 2nd Forward Line & the 2nd Pair of 'D.' And in the case of the opening goal, the 2nd Power Play Unit.

Maybe the Saints were concentrating on shutting down the Buckeyes at the top of the line chart. Or, maybe it was a superb effort by the second-liners. Probably a little of both.

#1 Star: Liz Schepers, Ohio State
            Liz outdid everyone with a 3 point night. When the empty-netter hit the twine, Schepers locked up the #1 Star. Her +3 performance led all players.

There was a commonality to the two goals. In both cases Liz was in the right place at the right moment. In both cases the Veteran Schepers knew how much time she had - and didn't have. She made good use of the available seconds, calmly finishing both jobs. Alert, Smart & Efficient. Good qualities to have!

Up Next: Rematch With St. Lawrence. Live Hockey @ 3:07PM; Televised Football @ 7:30PM On ABC. No Excuses; See You At The Ice Rink!

Comment

This recap was great. Didn’t realize RIT lost Gout to SLU over the summer. Big loss for them. Today is the first test in a way for OSU, seeing them win 1 game if the series is in no way a surprise....will they finish the job today.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                The literal answer is 18:25 of the 1st Period.

My initial reaction was . But then I realized you probably were referring to a goal that was waived off. Properly waived off, IMHO. Seemed clear that the puck crossed the line well after the horn sounded.

Now had the puck gotten in just under the wire, the time would have been 19:59. As I'm sure you know! A penalty can be recorded at the 20:00 mark, but a goal has to beat the horn.
                You are correct and I stand corrected. For some reason I was thinking that goal counted. It was a LONG day for me yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                  Back in a room with the laptop and I have the box score in front of me, so I will answer Hockeybuckeye's question ... time of the second goal was 18:25.
                  Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                  You are correct and I stand corrected. For some reason I was thinking that goal counted. It was a LONG day for me yesterday.
                  No worries. It was a good question; the start of the season is a good time to review this kind of thing.

OK, your wording pointed us in the "wrong" direction at first. But between the three of us, we got the right information into the record.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                    ...With two goals and an assist for a three-point night, I am guessing junior forward Liz Schepers is going to appear in Pgb's Three Stars of the Game!
                    Spot on!

Another possible star of the game might be OSU backstop Andrea Braendli, who stopped 24 of the 25 shots she faced. Saints' goaltender Jaimie Rainville was solid tonight as well, stopping 37 of the 40 shots she faced...
                    The goalies did play well. But on this night I felt others were the difference-makers.

Also, despite my efforts to expand the Stars List in every conceivable way, at some point the available slots are gone. For the opening night, I recognized 8 Players as part of the 3 Stars. I'm content calling that a full evening's work.

...Another factor in this one was Ohio State's penalty kill, which was perfect on the night at 4-for-4.
                    Excellent point. The Saints were quite dangerous with the man advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                      This recap was great.
                      Thank you; it's great to be back.

Didn’t realize RIT lost Gout to SLU over the summer. Big loss for them.
                      I should have noticed the transfer; that's really interesting. If you learn more of the story, do post.

I almost wonder if there was a change in majors involved, beyond the hockey change. RIT & St. Lawrence are both great schools. But that's a shift in focus, from Engineering/Technology to Liberal Arts. Of course there has to be some limit on the number of transfers Clarkson accepts.

Today is the first test in a way for OSU, seeing them win 1 game if the series is in no way a surprise....will they finish the job today.
                      Great question. As you likely recall, Colgate earned a split with a Saturday win on our opening weekend last year. OK Buckeyes, let this be a challenge to you!

Comment

I hear there was a conflict with the coach.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                          I hear there was a conflict with the coach.
                          Believable.

Though speaking only for myself, I was more interested in the chosen destination. In particular, the player's reasons for that choice.

Comment

To answer Lindsay's question, the Buckeyes did finish the job, and in exciting fashion, coming from behind in the last couple minutes of the game. Major kudos to St. Lawrence freshman goaltender Lucy Morgan for nearly stealing this one for the Saints, who were outshot in this one 39-19. After a scoreless first period, the Saints lit the lamp in the second period on a goal by Maggie McLaughlin. Ohio State answered a couple minutes later when Teghan Inglis scored to tie the game at 1-1. Later in the second period, the Buckeyes turned the puck over in their own zone and St. Lawrence made them pay on a goal by Kayla Vespa. Vespa's goal made the score 2-1 in favor of the Saints and it stayed that way until the Buckeyes pulled goaltender Andrea Braendli for an extra attacker. Madison Bizal scored to knot the game at 2-2 with 1:04 left in the game. Then, eight seconds later, with :56 seconds to go in the game, Emma Maltais lit the lamp to send the home crowd into a frenzy and the Buckeyes to a sweep. Saints goalie Lucy Morgan stopped 36 of the 39 shots she faced. Buckeye backstop Andrea Braendli stopped 17 of the 19 shots she faced. Next up for the Saints will be a trip to Durham, NH to take on University of New Hampshire. The Buckeyes will travel to St. Cloud to take on the Huskies.

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, September 28th
                              Ohio State 3
                              St. Lawrence 2

Buckeyes Storm Back, Sink Saints
                              A Drama In Three Acts: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

ACT I: Saintly Sailing Through Choppy Waters
                              The Saints played with great determination Saturday. The objective was take the 'W' all the up the St. Lawrence Seaway, back to the North Country. With #3 Star: Lucy Morgan, St. Lawrence, they certainly had two strong hands on the steering wheel. The Buckeyes had lots of zone time and fired lots of shots. But for almost 59 minutes, it was full steam ahead for Morgan. Calm & well positioned, Lucy spent the afternoon swallowing up pucks & preventing rebounds. In the end, she saved 36 of the 39 Buckeye Shots On Goal.

As the game was winding down, it looked like it would be enough. Somewhere Lindsay was saying: "Sadly, my words proved to be prophetic." Then The Gales of November Came Early.

First, the Buckeyes snatched a tie from the jaws of defeat. An instant later, they snatched a victory from the jaws of a tie.

Act II: Eight Seconds That Shocked The Saints
                              While the Saints were still reeling from being tied, a Trio of Buckeye Stars aligned on the GWG: #2 Star: (tie) Jincy Dunne, Ohio State; Tatum Skaggs, Ohio State; and Emma Maltais, Ohio State. On the ensuing face-off, Jincy received the puck at Left 'D' and launched a nicely elevated saucer pass to Tatum on the Right Wing. Skaggs Barged into the St. Lawrence zone. Next she sent a lethal pass into the slot to OSU's finest Destroyer, The Emma Maltais. With the shock of a tidal wave, yet with surgical precision, Maltais fired the puck squarely into the target.

ACT III: Madison Gives St. Lawrence The Bizness. All The Bizness. At Both Ends Of The Rink
                              The GWG was positively heroic. And yet the brightest Star of them all was #1 Star: Madison Bizal, Ohio State.

Flashback to the goal that tied the game. Brooke Bink worked hard to maintain possession behind the Saints net. Good thing; the Buckeye net was empty at the time. Then Tatum Skaggs gained control. Still behind the end line, Tatum fired a centering pass to Madison, who was pinching in from the left point. Bizal's Blast was All Bizness. Extra Attacker Goal; Game Tied.

For everyone in attendance on Saturday, Madison's goal will be long remembered. But in the closing seconds, she did something equally important on the defensive end.

After The Emma's Shocking Strike, a lesser team might have folded. But not the Saints. St. Lawrence mounted a furious counter-attack, in a desperate attempt to regain the tie. Toward the end of the mad scramble, the puck came to rest in the Buckeye slot, with a wide open Buckeye net available. Reading the play well, Madison arrived first and cleared the puck out of harm's way. Comeback Victory Preserved; #1 Star Earned.

Up Next: Road Trip To St. Cloud.
                              Last edited by pgb-ohio; 09-29-2019, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Lol at 86 and PGB... the Buckeyes did answer my question positively for themselves, and I wasn’t prophetic afterall. Must have been a great game to attend for Buckeye fans. What drama!

Comment

Working...
                                X