Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Totally agree with your last paragraph regarding the second half. As long as the team and coaches stay focused and don't lose games they should win, this team should be back in the postseason. The only question should be will we get enough quality wins in the second half to move up a couple spots in the PairWise and have a home quarterfinal in the NCAA Tournament.

Comment

Big news for OSU Women's Hockey ...

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/james-...-hockey-staff/

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
        Big news for OSU Women's Hockey ...

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/james-...-hockey-staff/
        That’s pretty awesome. Coaching is different than playing, but at the same time his experience at a high level has to be a nice draw for potential talent. Hopefully he sticks around and grows with the program.

Comment

• Originally posted by slowe View Post
          That’s pretty awesome. Coaching is different than playing, but at the same time his experience at a high level has to be a nice draw for potential talent. Hopefully he sticks around and grows with the program.
          Yeah, let’s see how long he lasts.

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
            I am hoping Wiz can help with the power play. Our team does a lot of things well, but the power play needs to improve. Through this point in the season, the Bucks have gotten 54 power plays, but only scored 7 goals on them. That is only 13%, and that has to get better.
            Last edited by osualum86; 12-25-2019, 09:28 PM.

Comment

For those who follow the team on social media or go into ohiostatebuckeyes.com and listen to Coach's mid-week interviews leading up to the games, she indicated earlier this week that the girls were really chomping at the bit to get back on the ice after the holiday break. It really showed tonight as the Buckeyes came out and dominated this one from start to finish. In fact, Coach Muzerall said after the game that she thought it was the best game she had seen the team play in her four years here. On to the numbers ... Ohio State won this one 6-0 and outshot Minnesota State 48-13 in the process. Six different players scored goals for the Bucks and eight different players had assists. The girls really looked sharp tonight. Lisa Bruno opened the scoring for Ohio State in the first period. Tatum Skaggs scored the Buckeyes' second goal and they went into the first intermission up 2-0. The Buckeyes would get three more goals in the second period from Liz Schepers, Rebecca Freiburger, and Gabby Rosenthal to go into the second intermission with a 5-0 lead. The Buckeyes weren't quite finished as Emma Maltais lit the lamp late in the third period to put Ohio State up 6-0. That is how it ended. Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli saved all 13 shots she faced and earned her first shutout of the season, 7th of her career. Minnesota State goaltender Abigail Levy saved 19 of the 22 shots she faced before being replaced by Calla Frank in the second period. Frank stopped 23 of the 26 shots she faced. The two teams are back at it tomorrow. Game time is 3:07 pm EST.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                For those who follow the team on social media or go into ohiostatebuckeyes.com and listen to Coach's mid-week interviews leading up to the games, she indicated earlier this week that the girls were really chomping at the bit to get back on the ice after the holiday break. It really showed tonight as the Buckeyes came out and dominated this one from start to finish.
                I agree with this assessment 100%.

In fact, Coach Muzerall said after the game that she thought it was the best game she had seen the team play in her four years here.
                That's quite a statement, given the number of wonderful wins this team has given us in recent years. But again, I must agree. The Buckeyes' performance was a tour-de-force.

On a normal weekend, I'd be posting my 3 Stars at this point. Unfortunately, for non-hockey reasons, I'm very overbooked this time. I hope to do a 3 Stars Post worthy of Friday's game sometime soon. I'll be at Saturday's game, of course. From there I'll do my best to make sure the history made this weekend is adequately chronicled. But there's no "publication schedule" yet.

For now, let me just sincerely thank all of the players & coaches for one best team efforts I've ever seen -- at any level.

Comment

Overall your announcers have done a good job. But they need to slow down on how great a person is because of past accomplishments, it means very little. Just saying

Comment

Originally posted by agfire View Post
                    Overall your announcers have done a good job. But they need to slow down on how great a person is because of past accomplishments, it means very little. Just saying
                    If you're really just sayin', that's fine. You have every right to make your point for the record and move on.

But if you actually want any sort of reply, you're going to have to tell us what you're talking about. Speaking only for myself: I attend virtually all of the home games in person, so I virtually never hear the commentary on the webcasts.

Comment

The Mavericks came back strong today, and actually took a 1-0 lead. They also battled hard the whole way, repeatedly bouncing back from adversity. Those things speak well of Mankato. Unfortunately for the Visitors, the Ohio State offense was really clicking this weekend. The Buckeyes outgunned the Mavericks 8-4 to complete the sweep.

As with the Friday game, I'll put up a more substantial post as soon as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                        The Mavericks came back strong today, and actually took a 1-0 lead. They also battled hard the whole way, repeatedly bouncing back from adversity. Those things speak well of Mankato. Unfortunately for the Visitors, the Ohio State offense was really clicking this weekend. The Buckeyes outgunned the Mavericks 8-4 to complete the sweep.

As with the Friday game, I'll put up a more substantial post as soon as I can.
                        Pgb, cannot wait to see your Three Stars for this weekend's games. Something tells me it will be more of a challenge this time around with so many contributions from so many different players! Looking forward to reading when you get a window of opportunity to write it!

Comment

As Pgb correctly stated, Minnesota State played much better today and challenged the Buckeyes to step it up, and they rose to the challenge today with an 8-4 win that was not as easy as the score would indicate. Minnesota State scored first on a goal by Sofia Poinar and led 1-0 until late in the first period when Emma Maltais lit the lamp on a short-handed breakaway goal to knot things at 1-1 at the first intermission. The second period was an offensive slug-fest with the Buckeyes scoring 3 goals and the Mavericks scoring 2 goals. The Buckeyes struck first on a PP goal from Sophie Jaques that was an absolute rocket. Tatum Skaggs then scored an even-strength goal to put Ohio State up 3-1. Give the Mavericks a lot of credit today as they stepped up their compete level today and answered on a PP goal from Jessica Kondas to bring her team to within 3-2. Next it was Ohio State's turn as they answered with a goal from Jenn Gardiner to make it 4-2. Once again, the Mavericks had an answer. This time it was Mariah Gardner scoring to bring the Mavericks back to within 1 at 4-3. The third period belonged to the Buckeyes as they finished strong, outscoring Minnesota State 4-1 in the period to make the final score 8-4. Ohio State opened the third period with 3 goals in the first 6 minutes of the frame from Gabby Rosenthal, Jenn Gardiner, and Jincy Dunne (PP) to go up 7-3. Minnesota State got a goal from Danielle England to bring the Mavericks to within 3 at 7-4. Ohio State finished the scoring with a goal from Liz Schepers with two minutes and change to go to finish out the scoring. Minnesota State did a better job of limiting Ohio State's scoring chances today, but the Buckeyes still outshot MSU 32-21. Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli stopped 16 of the 19 shots she faced. Andrea was relieved for part of the third period by freshman goaltender Quinn Kuntz, who faced 2 shots on goal and stopped 1 of them. For the Mavericks, Calla Frank stopped 19 of the 25 shots she faced before being relieved by Abigail Levy, who stopped 5 of the 7 shots she faced. Minnesota State returns home next weekend to take on St. Cloud State. The Buckeyes will go on the road for a big series vs. Minnesota.

Comment

Ohio State-ment ... the Buckeyes went on the road earlier tonight to take on #1-ranked Minnesota and came away with a 4-1 win. For now, I just have a box score, so not sure what Coach had to say about this, but I am fairly certain she was happy about this one. Sophie Jaques got the Buckeyes on the board first for a 1-0 lead. Minnesota's Taylor Heise answered for the Gophers to tie it at 1 and that is how the first period ended. Ohio State got three goals in the second period from Gabby Rosenthal (2) and Rebecca Freiburger to take a 4-1 lead into the third period. Neither team could light the lamp in the final frame and that is how it ended with the Bucks winning 4-1. Ohio State outshot Minnesota 34-22 with Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli stopping 21 of the 22 shots she faced. Sydney Scobee started for Minnesota and stopped 22 of the 26 shots she faced. She was replaced during the second intermission by Makayla Pahl. Pahl stopped all 8 shots she faced in the third period. The two teams will play an outdoor game tomorrow as part of Hockey Day in Minnesota. Game time is 5:30 pm EST.

Comment

Ohio State-ment ... the Buckeyes went on the road earlier tonight to take on #1-ranked Minnesota and came away with a 4-1 win.
                              Nice result!

Ointment for the strange outcome vs Clemson.

Comment

Ohio State-ment ... the Buckeyes went on the road earlier tonight to take on #1-ranked Minnesota and came away with a 4-1 win. For now, I just have a box score, so not sure what Coach had to say about this, but I am fairly certain she was happy about this one. Sophie Jaques got the Buckeyes on the board first for a 1-0 lead. Minnesota's Taylor Heise answered for the Gophers to tie it at 1 and that is how the first period ended. Ohio State got three goals in the second period from Gabby Rosenthal (2) and Rebecca Freiburger to take a 4-1 lead into the third period. Neither team could light the lamp in the final frame and that is how it ended with the Bucks winning 4-1. Ohio State outshot Minnesota 34-22 with Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli stopping 21 of the 22 shots she faced. Sydney Scobee started for Minnesota and stopped 22 of the 26 shots she faced. She was replaced during the second intermission by Makayla Pahl. Pahl stopped all 8 shots she faced in the third period. The two teams will play an outdoor game tomorrow as part of Hockey Day in Minnesota. Game time is 5:30 pm EST.
                                Ohio State was better than Minnesota, but not by that much. The Buckeyes forechecked hard and aggressively, and forced a lot of costly turnovers. But OSU's defense wasn't that much better than the Gophers', but it only cost them once. And it was Reffing by Kafka, very much to Ohio State's advantage.

Comment

Working...
                                X