Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

The Buckeyes opened their non-league series at Colgate with an impressive 6-2 win earlier today. Three different Buckeyes scored two goals. Liz Schepers opened the scoring for Ohio State with two goals in the first period and the Bucks took that 2-0 lead into the first intermission. Colgate's Malia Schneider scored the first goal of the second period to cut the Buckeye lead in half at 2-1. Rebecca Freiburger answered for the Buckeyes with two goals of her own to bump the lead back to 4-1. Ohio State's Emma Maltais scored the first of her two goals to put the Bucks up 5-1. Colgate's Darcie Lappan answered for the Raiders to make the score 5-2 before Emma Maltais' second goal made it 6-2. Neither team scored in the third so the final score was 6-2. Colgate actually outshot Ohio State 25-23. Buckeye backstop Lynsey Wallace got the start and stopped 23 of the 25 shots she faced. Liz Auby got the start in net for Colgate and stopped 10 of the 14 shots she faced. She was replaced by Alexa Dobchuk in the second period. Dobchuk stopped 7 or the 9 shots she faced. Special teams were not really a factor as neither team scored on the power play. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 3:00 pm EST.

Comment

Less productive on offensive today; but the Buckeyes salvage a 1-1 tie. 1 Victory + 1 Deadlock = Series Win. We'll take it.

Congrats to the Players & Coaches on the successful weekend.

Comment

Coach actually said in the postgame interview that today's game felt like a loss. After scoring six goals yesterday in a 6-2 romp, the Buckeyes could only score a late goal today and left Colgate with a 1-1 tie. The Raiders opened the scoring in the 1st period with a power play goal from Sammy Sigliani to take a 1-0 lead. The score remained that way until the Buckeyes' Emma Maltais got the equalizer late in the third period. Neither team was able to score in the overtime period so the game ended in a tie. Ohio State outshot Colgate 28-18 with Andrea Braendli stopping 17 of the 18 shots she faced for Ohio State. Colgate netminder Liz Auby saved 27 of the 28 shots she faced. Ohio State returns home to face #3 Cornell (2nd in the PairWise) on 11/29-11/30. Colgate will host RIT on Tuesday (11/26) before going on the road for games at Quinnipiac and Princeton on 12/6 and 12/7.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
          Coach actually said in the postgame interview that today's game felt like a loss.
          High standards are a good thing.

Coach has high standards, so I'm not surprised by her reaction. But for Pairwise purposes, aren't we much better off with 1.5 wins than a split?

Paging robertearle; Paging robertearle...

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
            High standards are a good thing.

Coach has high standards, so I'm not surprised by her reaction. But for Pairwise purposes, aren't we much better off with 1.5 wins than a split?

Definitely feels like the Buckeyes are doing a better job of not throwing away series with splits this year. Obviously a coach is never going to be satisfied but it seems like progress from last year.

Comment

https://womenshockeylife.com/ambassa...i-medina-ohio/

An article about an 11 year old girl in Medina, Ohio who plays hockey. OSU gets a shout out in here. I think that’s a real sign of progress for girls hockey in Ohio. A couple weeks ago I met someone who said he wanted his daughter to play at Mercyhurst... so nice to see these kids aware of the college hockey nearby (RMU being the other one) and aspiring to represent those programs.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                But for Pairwise purposes, aren't we much better off with 1.5 wins than a split?

When you get to the 'common opponents' part of a comparison with, say Princeton, the Colgate component of your comparison will show a 0.75 (1.5 wins, 0.5 losses) versus whatever Princeton ends up doing against Colgate (right now Princeton would be 1.00, a win over Colgate, with at least one more game remaining). Yes, 0.75 is better than the 0.5 that would have been the result with an actual loss. Likewise for any other 'common opponent' comparisons involving Colgate.

Not to mention, a generally better RPI, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                  https://womenshockeylife.com/ambassa...i-medina-ohio/

An article about an 11 year old girl in Medina, Ohio who plays hockey. OSU gets a shout out in here. I think that’s a real sign of progress for girls hockey in Ohio. A couple weeks ago I met someone who said he wanted his daughter to play at Mercyhurst... so nice to see these kids aware of the college hockey nearby (RMU being the other one) and aspiring to represent those programs.
                  VERY cool. Major thanks for posting this. From the interview with the 11 Year Old Player:

Originally posted by Women's Hockey Life & RILEI SIEDLECKI
                  QUESTION: IF YOU COULD SIT DOWN AND HAVE DINNER WITH ONE FEMALE HOCKEY PLAYER, WHO WOULD IT BE AND WHY?

ANSWER: Nadine Muzerall, Ohio State Women’s Head Hockey Coach. I want to know what she is looking for in a women’s hockey player to play for The Ohio State University. I live in Ohio and my family are big Buckeye Fans. I would love to play for her one day.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                    When you get to the 'common opponents' part of a comparison with, say Princeton, the Colgate component of your comparison will show a 0.75 (1.5 wins, 0.5 losses) versus whatever Princeton ends up doing against Colgate (right now Princeton would be 1.00, a win over Colgate, with at least one more game remaining). Yes, 0.75 is better than the 0.5 that would have been the result with an actual loss. Likewise for any other 'common opponent' comparisons involving Colgate.

Not to mention, a generally better RPI, etc.
                    Many thanks for the explanation. Concise and accessible. Appreciate your expertise.

Comment

FYI both games vs. Cornell this weekend will be streamed by FloHockey. I would expect this to be a very entertaining series between two very good (and evenly matched?) teams.

https://www.flohockey.tv/events/6552...-womens-hockey

https://www.flohockey.tv/events/6552...-womens-hockey
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                        Definitely feels like the Buckeyes are doing a better job of not throwing away series with splits this year. Obviously a coach is never going to be satisfied but it seems like progress from last year.
                        Totally agree, and as we learned the hard way last year, those losses against teams you're supposed to beat can leave you on the outside looking in when it comes to the NCAA Tournament. The Bucks are currently setting at 6th in the PairWise, not a bad spot to be in. Plus, they will have plenty of opportunities to move up with 2 games vs Cornell, 2 vs Princeton, 2 more vs Minnesota, 2 more vs Wisconsin, and 2 more vs UMD. Other than the two ties at Minnesota State, the girls have done a good job of taking care of business when they're supposed to win.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                          Totally agree, and as we learned the hard way last year, those losses against teams you're supposed to beat can leave you on the outside looking in when it comes to the NCAA Tournament. The Bucks are currently setting at 6th in the PairWise, not a bad spot to be in. Plus, they will have plenty of opportunities to move up with 2 games vs Cornell, 2 vs Princeton, 2 more vs Minnesota, 2 more vs Wisconsin, and 2 more vs UMD. Other than the two ties at Minnesota State, the girls have done a good job of taking care of business when they're supposed to win.
                          Cornell is ranked #1 in the PairWise so this series is huge. Need to get at least one win this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                            Cornell is ranked #1 in the PairWise so this series is huge. Need to get at least one win this weekend.
                            I would not be surprised if the Buckeyes swept Cornell. They are playing well and must continue to play with intensity if they are to be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                              I would not be surprised if the Buckeyes swept Cornell.
                              It's possible, but it is also possible that Cornell sweeps OSU. Cornell is the country's best team defensively, and the Big Red scored an average of a goal more per game than the Buckeyes do. Admittedly, Ohio State has played a slightly tougher schedule, but Cornell has played teams like Robert Morris, Princeton, and Clarkson, all with decent records. I was impressed by the Big Red in the NCAA Tournament last year, and most of their key players are back.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                It's possible, but it is also possible that Cornell sweeps OSU. Cornell is the country's best team defensively, and the Big Red scored an average of a goal more per game than the Buckeyes do. Admittedly, Ohio State has played a slightly tougher schedule, but Cornell has played teams like Robert Morris, Princeton, and Clarkson, all with decent records. I was impressed by the Big Red in the NCAA Tournament last year, and most of their key players are back.
                                I will be disappointed for the girls if they get swept at home, but I don't see that happening.

Comment

Working...
                                X