Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    It is really that close, that something 'out of left field' nudges it one way or the other.
    I don't wish to start any conspiracy theories, but in the past when margins have been razor thin, the committee has made choices that go against the math. With a goal of ultimately reducing flights, three hosts in the West is far from ideal for the committee. Boston? We can always find teams that can take a bus to Boston. Although to the credit of the 2009 committee, the previous time that the FF was held at Agganis Arena, they did go with bracket integrity such that we wound up with a FF field of UW, Mercyhurst, UM, and UMD. It would have been cheaper to put the Bulldogs on a bus to Minneapolis, but the committee flew them to Durham to meet UNH and sent BC to play the Gophers.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Final Score From Friday, February 28th
      Ohio State 4
      Minnesota State 2
      (Buckeyes Lead Best of Three Series 1-0)

WCHA Playoffs: Intensity Brings Results

The Mavericks certainly brought playoff intensity to the Ice Rink on Friday. But then again, so did the Buckeyes.

Ultimately the Buckeyes finished what they started, with good production in the First & Third Periods. Mankato owned the Second Stanza; bagging a pair of goals to tie the score at two. Let up just a smidge, and you'll quickly see how good the Mavericks can be.

Perhaps weirdly, all 6 goals were scored at the North End of the Ice Rink.

As you'll see below, I'm honoring full units tonight. Depending on how one counts, I'm giving a Star to at least 9 Players. And then there was the Player so nice I honored her twice. Under the circumstances, I think it will be OK if I skip the Honorable Mentions this time.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

#3 Star: Minnesota State's 3rd Line
      Despite falling behind 2-0 early on, Minnesota State certainly answered the bell in the 2nd Period.

Mankato's hard-working 3rd Line figured prominently in both Maverick goals. Sofia Poinar assisted on each. Brittyn Fleming and Kennedy Bobyck each had a Primary Assist. When they created odd-man rushes, excellent scoring chances were the result. It felt right to see all that hard work be rewarded. Not what the home crowd wanted to see, of course. But credit where credit is due.

Perhaps Another Oddity: In both cases a player from outside the 3rd Line provided the finishing touch. Credit First Line Wing Emily Antony and Top Defender Anna Wilgren with the goals.

#2 Star: Ohio State's Top 'D' Pair
      Jincy Dunne had a 3 Assist night. Some might say "that's just Jincy being Jincy." But we sure do appreciate it.

As for Sophie Jaques, tonight she was simply the Girl on Fire. (Think Hunger Games) Her quickness and absolute determination stood out repeatedly. In one of the game's key moments, Sophie created a turnover, stormed into the slot and scored the second goal - all by herself. She also assisted on the opening tally.

#1 Star: Ohio States's Top Power Play Unit
      With the game on the line in the 3rd Period, The Buckeye Power Play went 2 for 2. Major thanks go out to #11, #15, #17, #21 & #33. Yes, I realize I just gave Jincy Dunne two separate Stars in the same game. And the problem is?

The whole unit did a great job with puck movement. The go-ahead goal came on a blast from the left circle by Emma Maltais. The insurance goal came on second effort by Liz Schepers, who won a puck battle in the slot and slipped the puck home.

Up Next: Game 2 of the WCHA Quarterfinals. The Buckeyes could earn a trip to the Final Face-Off tomorrow. Plus, it's possible that Saturday's game will be the last home game of the season. Just two of the many reasons not to miss out. Be there!
      Last edited by pgb-ohio; 02-29-2020, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
        Yes, I realize I just gave Jincy Dunne two separate Stars in the same game. And the problem is?
        I've opined this elsewhere in the Forum, but I have the utmost respect for the way Jincy Dunne plays the game. I was not in the least surprised to see she was named to the WCHA's first team for the second consecutive time, but again I'm left wondering why she hasn't (as far as I know) received more consideration for being named to the USA National Team in one or more of their international tournaments. Or am I missing something?
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          I've opined this elsewhere in the Forum, but I have the utmost respect for the way Jincy Dunne plays the game. I was not in the least surprised to see she was named to the WCHA's first team for the second consecutive time, but again I'm left wondering why she hasn't (as far as I know) received more consideration for being named to the USA National Team in one or more of their international tournaments. Or am I missing something?
          I have been wondering the same thing! Think USA Hockey is missing out.

Comment

Many coaches will tell you that closeout games are the hardest ones to win and today's game was no exception. Minnesota State put up a tremendous fight today and got stellar goaltending from Calla Frank. Unfortunately for the Mavericks, the Buckeyes got a goal in the first period and that was all they needed in the 1-0 win. The Buckeye goal came from Liz Schepers. The goal by Schepers was her 6th GWG of the season, which ties a program record for single-season game-winning goals. Emma Maltais got an assist on the goal, giving her 39 assists, which is a new single season record for the Buckeyes. Ohio State outshot the Mavericks 33-20. Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli stopped all 20 shots to get her 9th career shutout. Minnesota State's Calla Frank stopped 32 of the 33 shots she faced. Minnesota State's season comes to an end. Ohio State advances to the WCHA Final Face Off where they will take on Minnesota. Should be interesting as the two teams split their season series.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              If we do I hope Mr.PGB can contain his excitement!
              Well, I'm not going to deny the obvious. When Ohio State enjoys success in Athletics, I do relish it. But the joy is a bit more bridled than you might think.

I don't mind your comment at all. But there are many reasons I post the way I do. One factor is that so much of what passes for sports talk is reflexively negative and mind-numbingly shallow. A big reason I'm here is to push back against those things.

Another factor is that, unlike real journalists, USCHO Posters don't face unforgiving publication deadlines. If we want to take some extra time to ruminate before posting, that's an option. A luxury actually.

Today I'm exercising that option, as I often do. I'm aiming for tonight for the next 3 Stars post. After all, even though there's still hope for an NCAA home game, we're likely done at the Ice Rink for this season.

OK, extra percolation time gives me the opportunity to lay it on a little thick. Buyer Beware.

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                I have been wondering the same thing! Think USA Hockey is missing out.
                Broken record here to say this is why we need an accessible pro league for these ladies that they can afford to play in. Hate to see it capped at 23. Sorry I’ll give it a rest soon I promise.

Dunne’s been awesome for the Buckeyes and Muzerall has advocated for her to be on Team USA in media comments. Nice job by the Buckeyes this weekend. Given the various upsets, it shows it’s not easy to do what they’ve done. Looking forward to the PGB recap.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                  Broken record here to say this is why we need an accessible pro league for these ladies that they can afford to play in. Hate to see it capped at 23. Sorry I’ll give it a rest soon I promise.

Dunne’s been awesome for the Buckeyes and Muzerall has advocated for her to be on Team USA in media comments. Nice job by the Buckeyes this weekend. Given the various upsets, it shows it’s not easy to do what they’ve done. Looking forward to the PGB recap.
                  I am also looking forward to Pgb's three stars after this one! I am going to take an educated guess that Liz Schepers and Andrea Braendli will make appearances somewhere in this edition of the three stars!

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, February 29th
                    Ohio State 1
                    Minnesota State 0
                    (Buckeyes Win The Best of Three Series 2-0)

For Those Who Block Hard Shots, We Salute You

Playoff Hockey. A time to stand up and be counted. The Bucks have got the right of way. You're a hockey player. You're living for this day. For those who block hard shots, we salute you!

This one wasn't for the faint of heart. We saw an epic defensive struggle. The offenses were almost shut down. The goalies stood tall. Individuals sacrificed for the good of the team.

The Buckeye offense somehow found a way to score one precious goal. The Buckeye defense was perfect. You might say that the Maverick offense was a like a 21 Gun Salute. But thanks to the Buckeye defense, that 21st shot never got through.

Quite notable: The courageous shot blocking by both sides. 22 blocks for the Mavericks; 18 blocks for the Buckeyes. In the end two individuals -- one for each team -- stood above the rest.

Minnesota State Honorable Mention: Calla Frank
                    Calla gave a dynamic performance in the Mankato net. The Freshman keeper did herself proud with 32 saves. Clearly she gave her teammates a chance to steal a win.

But quite Frankly, there's one particular shot she'd like to have another try at ...

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Liz Schepers
                    ... the one taken by Liz Schepers. Schepers once again proved the old adage that a shot on goal is never a bad play, bagging the one & only goal.

Liz would be the first to admit this wasn't the hardest shot she's ever taken. In baseball terms, it was more of a slider than a fastball. And the placement was good though not perfect. But for Buckeye fans, it was a perfect strike.

#3 Star: Andrea Braendli, Ohio State
                    Andrea is starting to spoil us. The shutouts just keep coming! OK, many of the Braendli's stops were fairly routine, given the fine effort put up by Buckeye 'D.' Inevitably, though, the Mavs broke through for a couple of quality chances. But for Andrea, the Mavericks could easily have won this game 2-1.

And yes '86, you're an educated fan of Buckeye Hockey.

#2 Star: Tristen Truax, Minnesota State
                    Now about those dynamic shot blockers. Each of the Top Two Stars had 7 -- count 'em 7 -- shot blocks all by herself. Truex is certainly a physical presence for the Mankato 'D.' Not to be Petty, but She won't back down. There ain't no easy way out when you're competing with Tristen. As she proved 7 times.

#1 Star: Jincy Dunne, Ohio State
                    Jincy Dunne will long be remembered at Ohio State for her remarkable skills and high Hockey IQ. But she's also a fearless player who's more than willing to take one for the team. She knows how to take away shooting lanes, and regularly gets that job done. And like her Maverick counterpart, she got the job done 7 times on Saturday.

Recycling a theme from Senior Weekend: Jincy's ice time for the Buckeyes is almost done, and that's bittersweet for sure.

OK, those of us who inhabit the OSU Ice Rink may still get an NCAA home game. robertearle will keep us advised as to the odds. But for the homebound among us, the Playoff Series may have been our Last Dance With Jincy Dunne. With apologies to Tom Petty & Mary Jane; along with those uninterested in Classic Rock references, here goes:

Oh my my
                    Oh it's great
                    When she puts on those hockey skates.

Last Dance with Jincy Dunne;
                    One more time, the Playoff Run!

Nope; we're not going to let Summer "creep in" just yet. Go Jincy Go!

Up Next: 2020 WCHA Final Face-Off Semi vs. Minnesota.
                    Last edited by pgb-ohio; 03-02-2020, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Well done, Sir. Well done.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, February 29th
                        Ohio State 1
                        Minnesota State 0
                        (Buckeyes Win The Best of Three Series 2-0)

For Those Who Block Hard Shots, We Salute You

Playoff Hockey. A time to stand up and be counted. The Bucks have got the right of way. You're a hockey player. You're living for this day. For those who block hard shots, we salute you!

This one wasn't for the faint of heart. We saw an epic defensive struggle. The offenses were almost shut down. The goalies stood tall. Individuals sacrificed for the good of the team.

The Buckeye offense somehow found a way to score one precious goal. The Buckeye defense was perfect. You might say that the Maverick offense was a like a 21 Gun Salute. But thanks to the Buckeye defense, that 21st shot never got through.

Quite notable: The courageous shot blocking by both sides. 22 blocks for the Mavericks; 18 blocks for the Buckeyes. In the end two individuals -- one for each team -- stood above the rest.

Minnesota State Honorable Mention: Calla Frank
                        Calla gave a dynamic performance in the Mankato net. The Freshman keeper did herself proud with 32 saves. Clearly she gave her teammates a chance to steal a win.

But quite Frankly, there's one particular shot she'd like to have another try at ...

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Liz Schepers
                        ... the one taken by Liz Schepers. Schepers once again proved the old adage that a shot on goal is never a bad play, bagging the one & only goal.

Liz would be the first to admit this wasn't the hardest shot she's ever taken. In baseball terms, it was more of a slider than a fastball. And the placement was good though not perfect. But for Buckeye fans, it was a perfect strike.

#3 Star: Andrea Braendli, Ohio State
                        Andrea is starting to spoil us. The shutouts just keep coming! OK, many of the Braendli's stops were fairly routine, given the fine effort put up by Buckeye 'D.' Inevitably, though, the Mavs broke through for a couple of quality chances. But for Andrea, the Mavericks could easily have won this game 2-1.

And yes '86, you're an educated fan of Buckeye Hockey.

#2 Star: Tristen Truax, Minnesota State
                        Now about those dynamic shot blockers. Each of the Top Two Stars had 7 -- count 'em 7 -- shot blocks all by herself. Truex is certainly a physical presence for the Mankato 'D.' Not to be Petty, but She won't back down. There ain't no easy way out when you're competing with Tristen. As she proved 7 times.

#1 Star: Jincy Dunne, Ohio State
                        Jincy Dunne will long be remembered at Ohio State for her remarkable skills and high Hockey IQ. But she's also a fearless player who's more than willing to take one for the team. She knows how to take away shooting lanes, and regularly gets that job done. And like her Maverick counterpart, she got the job done 7 times on Saturday.

Recycling a theme from Senior Weekend: Jincy's ice time for the Buckeyes is almost done, and that's bittersweet for sure.

OK, those of us who inhabit the OSU Ice Rink may still get an NCAA home game. robertearle will keep us advised as to the odds. But for the homebound among us, the Playoff Series may have been our Last Dance With Jincy Dunne. With apologies to Tom Petty & Mary Jane; along with those uninterested in Classic Rock references, here goes:

Oh my my
                        Oh it's great
                        When she puts on those hockey skates.

Last Dance with Jincy Dunne;
                        One more time, the Playoff Run!

Nope; we're not going to let Summer "creep in" just yet. Go Jincy Go!

Up Next: 2020 WCHA Final Face-Off Semi vs. Minnesota.
                        Absolute classic, Pgb! OMG, I am a big AC/DC fan, so I was singing that ... "For those who block hard shots ... WE SALUTE YOU!" Also sang the other song ... "Last Dance with Jincy Dunne, One more time, the Playoff Ruuuun!"

Comment

Glad you guys enjoyed it. I knew I could count on both of you (among other others) to appreciate the classics.

I do worry that the musical references tend to be generation specific. So I self-restrained. A little. But hey. Back in the day: People tried to put US down. You know what I'm talkin' about.

Comment

Glad you guys enjoyed it. I knew I could count on both of you (among other others) to appreciate the classics.

I do worry that the musical references tend to be generation specific. So I self-restrained. A little. But hey. Back in the day: People tried to put US down. You know what I'm talkin' about.
                            You guys need to quit making me feel old!
                            Not a big fan of AC/DC, it doesn't go well with my Glenn Miller records.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                              You guys need to quit making me feel old!
                              Not a big fan of AC/DC, it doesn't go well with my Glenn Miller records.
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma5owhRrykQ

There, now we can all sing along!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma5owhRrykQ

There, now we can all sing along!
                                I don't know if this is a good thing or not. Mr.PGB for all we know may not be a good singer and cause his family some degree of consternation if he does this in their presence!

Comment

Working...
                                X