Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    Big, big sweep for UMD. Looks like Rooney has something to do with the results.
    As she very much did in shutting out the Gophers last Saturday. 35 shots, no goals. Sure is nice to have a hot goaltender this time of year.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
      Big, big sweep for UMD. Looks like Rooney has something to do with the results.
      She appears to be over the post-Olympic hangover.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
        Well, one way to scramble everything is Duluth sneaks into #7, and drives to Madison (or Minneapolis).
        Given the last two weekends, it also wouldn't be a total shock if UMD gets into the field by winning the Final Face-off.

Than leaves the CHA winner open to fly to Cornell, or Minneapolis, or Boston...
        Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't 5 of the 6 CHA teams eligible to drive to Ithaca, NY? (The obvious exception being Lindenwood) The Committee might find that combination tempting.

Obviously some potential pairings are more probable than others. But for the above reasons, I don't see any pairings that are "foregone conclusions" at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          Obviously some potential pairings are more probable than others. But for the above reasons, I don't see any pairings that are "foregone conclusions" at this point.
          I see only three scenarios in which Ohio State makes the tournament and does not travel to Minneapolis:

1) Minnesota somehow finishes with a higher seed than Wisconsin, in which case you'll go to Madison;
          2) Lindenwood wins the CHA tournament, UMD gets into the NCAA tournament, and neither Northeastern nor Cornell get the #1 seed. In this case, the higher seeded of Minnesota and Wisconsin would get Lindenwood, the other would get UMD, and OSU goes east;
          3) Minnesota drops far enough not to host a quarterfinal.

I don't think any of those scenarios have more than a small probabiliy.
          Last edited by Still Eeyore; 02-09-2020, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
            I see only three scenarios in which Ohio State makes the tournament and does not travel to Minneapolis:

1) Minnesota somehow finishes with a higher seed than Wisconsin, in which case you'll go to Madison;
            2) Lindenwood wins the CHA tournament, UMD gets into the NCAA tournament, and neither Northeastern nor Cornell get the #1 seed. In this case, the higher seeded of Minnesota and Wisconsin would get Lindenwood, the other would get UMD, and OSU goes east;

Let's say Wisconsin #1, Minnesota #3, and Duluth #7: why do you think it would be more likely they send Duluth to Madison and not Ninneapolis?

Comment

... and not Ninneapolis?
              Either a typo, or some sly shade.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                Either a typo, or some sly shade.
                LOL. Typo. First thing Sunday morning typo.

Comment

Let's say Wisconsin #1, Minnesota #3, and Duluth #7: why do you think it would be more likely they send Duluth to Madison and not Ninneapolis?
                  I assume that you're talking about my Scenario #2, where I don't think that Duluth would go to Madison, unless Minnesota ends up with the higher seed.

Comment

I assume that you're talking about my Scenario #2, where I don't think that Duluth would go to Madison, unless Minnesota ends up with the higher seed.
                    Generally, yes, but I don't see how Lindenwood is a necessary condition. That would be the case regardless of who wins CHA.

CHA flies to Madison, Ohio State flies to Cornell, UMD drives to Minneapolis, and Princeton drives to Northeastern.

Comment

Generally, yes, but I don't see how Lindenwood is a necessary condition. That would be the case regardless of who wins CHA.
                      Every other CHA team is a drive away from Ithaca, so the higher seeded of Minnesota and Wisconsin will get UMD, while the other will get OSU.

Comment

Every other CHA team is a drive away from Ithaca, so the higher seeded of Minnesota and Wisconsin will get UMD, while the other will get OSU.
                        But that doesn't 'save' a flight; it is still two flights and two drives. Yes, Lindenwood would mean 'three drives', but otherwise I don't see why you assume UMD to Madison and not Minneapolis. If Lindenwood is not the CHA winner, then you get two drives and two flights either way.

Comment

I agree that, if in, OSU is more likely to be sent West than East. I'd also agree that if MN is more probable than WI as the destination. But should UMD earn a bid, I think considerable uncertainty is introduced on the latter factor.

Beyond that, the rules allow the Committee to do pretty much whatever they want with the teams in #5 through #8 category. Sometimes the stars align and there's bracket integrity, sometimes not. Surprises are possible.

Another scenario to consider: Suppose the current Top 7 in the Pairwise make the tournament, & Mercyhurst wins the CHA. Isn't the below at least a possibility?

Princeton @ Northeastern
                          Mercyhurst @ Cornell
                          OSU/Clarkson @ MN
                          OSU/Clarkson @ WI

Google says Erie & Ithaca are 233 miles apart. Gotta believe the "Official Mileage Chart" has that as a drive, not a flight.

In that case, I'm less than 100% sure the Buckeyes get sent to play the Gophers. Why would we assume that the Committee would treat the #6 vs. #7 position in the Pairwise as dictating certain pairings?

Mind you, I'm not arguing for a one result over the other. If OSU is fortunate enough to qualify for the tournament, we'll gladly go where sent. (My sour opinion of the current rules notwithstanding) I'm just saying the plane tickets shouldn't be purchased just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post

Princeton @ Northeastern
                            Mercyhurst @ Cornell
                            OSU/Clarkson @ MN
                            OSU/Clarkson @ WI
                            This is particularly likely if Cornell passed Wisconsin for #1 (which became much more possible yesterday :-( )

But even then Clarkson vs Wisconsin is the more likely, because that would #7 at #2. And that gets us back to Eeyone's "OSU to Minneapolis".

(The one thing we all seem to be agreeing on is Princeton is going to Northeastern. Somebody call them so they can book their hotels earlier and cheaper!)

Comment

But even then Clarkson vs Wisconsin is the more likely, because that would #7 at #2. And that gets us back to Eeyone's "OSU to Minneapolis".
                              If UMD and OSU are both in the tournament, then Clarkson pretty much can't be. For all three of those teams to be in, Princeton would have to be out, which amounts to the same thing.

Comment

If UMD and OSU are both in the tournament, then Clarkson pretty much can't be. For all three of those teams to be in, Princeton would have to be out, which amounts to the same thing.
                                "Suppose the current Top 7 in the Pairwise make the tournament" was part of his scenario, "no Duluth" was an assumption.

Comment

Working...
                                X