Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    I still say with the football game Saturday would it have taken a lot of thought to make it a Friday/Sunday schedule?
    It's been thought of and discussed. Including in the Ice Rink Lobby last weekend. One point I wasn't previously aware of: Apparently Notre Dame doesn't allow any other athletic competitions on FB Saturdays. I'd imagine that the logistics at ND are pretty similar to ours when the Football team plays at home. Perhaps our decision-makers should ponder that.

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree with you on this, but I don't think the visiting team would go for that. I think it has been done before, though, by other schools. Another thing you have to keep in mind, and Pgb has brought this up previously IIRC, is the alums who are coming in from out of town like to go to the football game.
    The alums could make it a three day weekend. Or, maybe that's too much to ask. That'd be their call. But yes, my understanding is that the Women's Hockey Alumni intentionally choose a weekend when both Women's Hockey & Football are at home.

The men's team does the Fri/Sun when necessary so why not the women? Gender equity I say!
    Yeah, sure, because the Ice Rink & the Schott are equal facilities.

Point being that while the two hockey programs can learn things from one another, each program has some unique needs & wants. The Women's team plays in much smaller building and admission is free. That makes it much harder to justify paying a team to stay an extra night. Or to ask a visiting team to foot that bill when they aren't a revenue sport either.

Next point: Friday/Sunday isn't "necessary." Given the exact timing of the two Saturday games, it was literally easier to get to the Ice Rink on Saturday than it was on Friday. As '86 has previously posted, the parking problem has been addressed, at least for those in the know.

That said, I do believe the Friday/Sunday format would be the first choice of fans based in Central Ohio. The Football team really is that important; I respect that. I'm just noting that there are other important factors.

Possible Solution For A Future Home Football Weekend: Schedule a home & home series with Robert Morris or Mercyhurst. Play one game Friday and the other on Sunday. Yes, having both teams travel would increase the aggregate cost. But depending on the exact schedule, there might be some lodging savings to offset that. Or maybe even come out ahead.

Comment

Personally the wife and I would have gone to the Sunday game. Even if we wanted to go Saturday the way they work the traffic & the lots I doubt I would have been allowed to come in to drop her off by the rink. She's disabled and cannot walk any real distance.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
        One point I wasn't previously aware of: Apparently Notre Dame doesn't allow any other athletic competitions on FB Saturdays.
        UM has the same rule after moving back to an on-campus FB stadium, and I believe both parking availability and event staff are the primary concerns. I think that they have softened it a bit to allow evening events when the FB game is early. With a Saturday blackout, that forces hockey to either a Fri/Sun series, or something more creative like Thu/Fri or Sun/Mon.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Personally the wife and I would have gone to the Sunday game. Even if we wanted to go Saturday the way they work the traffic & the lots I doubt I would have been allowed to come in to drop her off by the rink. She's disabled and cannot walk any real distance.
          The regular Ice Rink Lot is literally the Disability Lot on Football Saturdays. As long as you have the blue permit to hang from your review mirror, I'm guessing the parking lot attendants would have been very supportive of that. Further, on this particular Saturday, the Lot attendants were long gone before most of the hockey crowd arrived. With quite a few spaces available.

At the same time, I know you don't have an easy situation. I get that:

1. You might not have the permit. I have a family member who was fully entitled to a disability parking permit, but resisted applying for years. His theory being the permits were for "those who really need them," and it was his obligation to tough it out. He finally gave in, and it definitely improved his situation. And he wasn't necessarily being inconsistent; his ability to walk did worsen, and thus really needed it. Anyhow, if you're in an analogous situation, you have my empathy & support.

2. It is stressful to start out for the rink, and have uncertainty as to whether making it to the event is doable. The fact your fate might be determined by a stressed out parking attendant makes the situation even worse. In these circumstances, many people would decide just to blow off the game, as you did. Again, it's understandable. All I can say is that with free admission, taking a shot at it isn't a financial risk. But yes, there is some risk of an aggravating result.
          Last edited by pgb-ohio; 10-29-2019, 09:25 AM.

Comment

The regular Ice Rink Lot is literally the Disability Lot on Football Saturdays. As long as you have the blue permit to hang from your review mirror, I'm guessing the parking lot attendants would have been very supportive of that. Further, on this particular Saturday, the Lot attendants were long gone before most of the hockey crowd arrived. With quite a few spaces available.

At the same time, I know you don't have an easy situation. I get that:

1. You might not have the permit. I have a family member who was fully entitled to a disability parking permit, but resisted applying for years. His theory being the permits were for "those who really need them," and it was his obligation to tough it out. He finally gave in, and it definitely improved his situation. And he wasn't necessarily being inconsistent; his ability to walk did worsen, and thus really needed it. Anyhow, if you're in an analogous situation, you have my empathy & support.

2. It is stressful to start out for the rink, and have uncertainty as to whether making it to the event is doable. The fact your fate might be determined by a stressed out parking attendant makes the situation even worse. In these circumstances, many people would decide just to blow off the game, as you did. Again, it's understandable. All I can say is that with free admission, taking a shot at it isn't a financial risk. But yes, there is some risk of an aggravating result.
            I appreciate the advise but I would hesitate to even try to get in the area when football is happening.
            I remember some years ago when we had a men's home hockey game against Michigan with a start time around when the football game ended.
            Even with the handicap sign hanging from the mirror the police directing traffic absolutely refused us entry to the Schott's lots as they had ALL the lanes set up for exiting traffic, no entry even though there was an event at the Schott.
            We spent quite a bit of time circling the area in bumper to bumper traffic with myself uttering nonstop profanity and couldn't get into the game until into the 2nd period!
            We did get tickets compted to us for another weekend after complaining and after that season the University stopped having hockey & football at the same time, at least for the men's games.
            So that's why I just won't risk it again.
            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-29-2019, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
              Coach was there, and anyone who listened to the postgame interview could figure out that she was sick last week as she could barely talk tonight. Sounded like she was getting over a bad case of laryngitis.
              I don't think I can recall a H/C coach being sick enough to miss a series. Interesting.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                I don't think I can recall a H/C coach being sick enough to miss a series. Interesting.
                Didn't Trina Bourget miss quite a few games during her final season? I'm sure people around Madison would remember better, but I recall that she was missing for quite a while and the rumor was that she wasn't well.

EDIT: I guess it was more than a rumor:
                https://uwbadgers.com/news/2002/3/20...key_Coach.aspx
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  UM has the same rule after moving back to an on-campus FB stadium, and I believe both parking availability and event staff are the primary concerns. I think that they have softened it a bit to allow evening events when the FB game is early. With a Saturday blackout, that forces hockey to either a Fri/Sun series, or something more creative like Thu/Fri or Sun/Mon.
                  Yup; it's the same dilemma.

Personally I wouldn't be excited about a format that forces the visiting students to miss class at the beginning of a week. So Sun/Mon would be my last choice of these options. But there is no perfect solution under these circumstances.

I appreciate the advise but I would hesitate to even try to get in the area when football is happening.
                  You have every right to make that decision. If that's what's best for you, so be it. I won't second guess your individual choice.

But for anyone who remains undecided, I say it's all about timing your arrival and/or departure. From midway through the 1st Quarter to the end of the 3rd Quarter, you can get on or off campus with very little competition.

Extra waiting? Likely yes. Worth it? Again, that's a matter of individual choice.

Comment

Personally I wouldn't be excited about a format that forces the visiting students to miss class at the beginning of a week. So Sun/Mon would be my last choice of these options. But there is no perfect solution under these circumstances.
                    Yet other sports deal with this as a matter of routine. The women's golf team yesterday and today play in an all day tournament. Juggling & missing classes no matter the day is the norm for a student athlete.
                    BTW Mr.PGB, I'm not saying in any way you're wrong, just initiating some slightly diverging line of thought.
                    Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-30-2019, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Yet other sports deal with this as a matter of routine. The women's golf team yesterday and today play in an all day tournament. Juggling & missing classes no matter the day is the norm for a student athlete.
                      BTW Mr. PGB, I'm not saying in any way you're wrong, just initiating some slightly diverging line of thought.
                      Across the full range of sports, of course you're correct. And I don't mind the counter-point at all; I enjoy this kind of discussion. Meaning differing opinions, respectfully stated.

But here's where I'm coming from. Hockey is my favorite sport. And one thing I specifically like about College Hockey (as opposed to other levels) is that the vast majority of the games are on weekends. The players practice & develop during the week. And go to class. And sleep in their normal beds.

Selfishly I've got my day job during the week. Weeknight games are a mixed blessing. Of course I'll make exceptions for special games. But other things being equal, I'd rather we left Monday through Thursday for the normal, "at home" routine.

Which is one reason why I prefer to make the Football Saturdays work, if at all possible.

Comment

Across the full range of sports, of course you're correct. And I don't mind the counter-point at all; I enjoy this kind of discussion. Meaning differing opinions, respectfully stated.
                        Yes, many on forum are thin skinned and turn discussion especially between rivals into mud throwing.
                        I've gotten sucked into it myself but only under the old saying "I will never start a fight, but I'll finish one."

Comment

Yes, many on forum are thin skinned and turn discussion especially between rivals into mud throwing.
                          I've gotten sucked into it myself but only under the old saying "I will never start a fight, but I'll finish one."
                          I wanted to add that I really haven't have adversity on forum with anyone since the men's team stopped playing Miami.
                          Their fans became arrogant and insufferable but in recent years seemed to have slunk away into the shadows with their tails between their legs.
                          There isn't even a Miami thread on forum anymore! LOL!
                          Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 11-01-2019, 12:45 PM.

Comment

I wanted to add that I really haven't have adversity on forum with anyone since the men's team stopped playing Miami.
                            Their fans became arrogant and insufferable but in recent years seemed to have slunk away into the shadows with their tails between their legs.
                            There isn't even a Miami thread on forum anymore! LOL!
                            Yup. In-state rivalries & border battles can be a mixed blessing, that's for sure. Doesn't take many bad apples to really change the tone of the conversation. And those close rivalries tend to bring them out of the woodwork.

My Late Addition/Clarification: Closing Summary on Football Saturdays
                            1. Should we ever schedule a Thursday/Friday Hockey Series to avoid a Football Saturday, I'll be there with full enthusiasm.

2. Friday/Sunday would be fine with me personally, but it isn't really fair to the Visitors. And may not be responsible stewardship of the limited funds available to Women's Hockey.

3. Sunday/Monday? Less enthusiasm, but I'd be there.

Comment

Big win for our girls earlier tonight in Bemidji, and as a buddy of mine always says, "You can't sweep if you don't win on Friday." Despite outshooting the Beavers 38-16, this one went into overtime tied at 3. It started with a Buckeye goal from Jenn Gardiner. The Beavers answered on a goal from Haley Mack and the first period ended with a 1-1 tie. The second period again saw two goals scored. It was Jenn Gardiner scoring her second of the night to put the Buckeyes up 2-1. Bemidji answered later in the period with a goal from Clair DeGeorge and the teams went into the second intermission tied at 2. It took the Beavers all of 20 seconds to take the lead in the third period on a power play goal from Heather Olson. Not to be denied, the Buckeyes answered late in the period on a goal from Jincy Dunne to tie it at 3. The teams went into overtime where the Buckeyes emerged victorious on a goal from Liz Schepers. Final score was 4-3. Ohio State dominated the shots on goal 38-16 with Ohio State goaltender Andrea Braendli stopping 13 of the 16 shots she faced. Bemidji backstop Lauren Bench stopped 34 of the 38 shots she faced. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 4:07 pm EST.
                              Last edited by osualum86; 11-02-2019, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the report, '86.

Great result! Congrats to the whole team, and especially Liz Schepers on the GWG. So proud of Liz & the great season she's having so far!

Comment

Working...
                                X