Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

I got choked up when Elise scored her goal. I'm a big softie, I admit it!

Comment

The Buckeyes completed the sweep today by a final score of 6-3. Six different players scored goals for the Buckeyes in this one. Tatum Skaggs and Jennifer Gardiner scored in the first period to give Ohio State a 2-0 lead at the first intermission. St. Cloud's Hallie Theodosopoulos lit the lamp 29 seconds into the second period to cut Ohio State's lead in half. The Buckeyes would answer with goals from Brooke Bink, Gabby Rosenthal, and Elise Riemenschneider to take a 5-1 lead into the second intermission. Sophie Jaques scored for the Buckeyes to make it 6-1. The Huskies' Olivia Cvar scored the final two goals of the game to make the final score 6-3. The Buckeyes outshot the Huskies 53-28. Buckeye backstop Andrea Braendli stopped 22 of the 23 shots she faced. She was relieved in the third period by Lynsey Wallace, who stopped 3 of the 5 shots she faced. Emma Polusny went the distance for the Huskies and stopped 47 of the 53 shots she faced. It is playoff time now. Ohio State will host Minnesota State in the first round. St. Cloud will travel to Minnesota to take on the Gophers in the first round.

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, February 22nd
        Ohio State 6
        St. Cloud State 3

Senior Moments Can Be Good Things.

Saturday's game was filled with meaningful senior moments. No, not the occasional scatterbrained choice that goes with old age. Fitting commemorations of 4 college hockey careers well played.

Also, in the joyous pre-game ceremony, we paid tribute to 4 strong academic careers. Excellent GPAs were earned by each member of the class.

The game itself opened with a brilliant odd man rush by the Schepers/Skaggs/Maltais Line. Shattuck Who? We know that SSM stands for Schepers/Skaggs/Maltais. Anyhow, the rush culminated with a tap-in goal for Tatum Skaggs. The 3 Juniors got the Buckeyes off the launching pad very nicely, and sent the enthusiastic Senior Day Crowd into orbit.

But bigger picture, the day belonged to the Senior Class. In this case the Stars aligned very nicely; I have an individual Star available for each of the 4 Seniors.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

St. Cloud Honorable Mention: Olivia Cvar
        It has to be a little irritating to be the Visiting team on a Senior Day. Sure you're an invited guest, but you're the bad guy trying to spoil the party. And a party it was, as the Buckeyes tweaked the line-up to feature the Seniors. Some teams might have felt disrespected and gotten a little chippy. Other teams might have gotten discouraged and quit after falling behind.

But not the Huskies. They kept playing with intensity and honor. As time was winding down, the Buckeyes got just a little too distracted, and the lethal Cvar buried two goals in 19 seconds. Did the late surge affect the outcome? Nope. But this was a statement by a Huskie Freshman that, unlike the Seniors, she'll be back. Gotta respect that.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Olivia Soares
        #19 didn't earn a scoring point, but she came pretty close. Olivia got quality minutes today, including some time on the Power Play. She made good use of the time, putting 4 fine shots on goal.

We thank Captain Soares for 4 seasons of solid leadership.

#3 Star: Rebecca Freiburger, Ohio State
        Rebecca marked her Senior Day with a classic Freiburger Assist. Creating a turnover on the forecheck, she immediately fed linemate Brooke Bink with a pass in the slot. The puck was in the net before the Huskies knew what hit them.

Also in the Hard Work Department: Rebecca paid one last visit to the Home Penalty Box, if only for old time's sake. Two Minutes for Roughing. Too bad she didn't bag a goal. (There were some near misses) It would have been a Women's Hockey answer to the Gordie Howe Hat Trick!

#2 Star: Jincy Dunne, Ohio State
        Jincy's time at Ohio State is almost Dunne, and that's certainly bittersweet. Jincy's play has meant so much to this team. Let me count the ways. She's smooth as silk. Sharp as a tack. Immensely talented. A stabilizing force on defense. An unselfish contributor on offense who deals out assist after assist. The teammate that makes everyone she plays with better. Always a celestial presence; a Star that's impossible to ignore.

Thank you, Captain Dunne.

#1 Star: Elise Riemenschneider, Ohio State
        Elise scored her First Goal as a Buckeye on her Senior Day. I can't recall that happening before, and I doubt it will ever happen again. What an awesome moment.

The special goal came on a Power Play. Working the perimeter, Jincy Dunne sent the puck to Emma Maltais. Next, Emma sent a medium speed shot toward the St. Cloud net. But the shot had a larger purpose. It was tantalizingly tippable, and perfectly placed to give Riemenschneider that opportunity.

Elise delivered. Coming off her stick, the puck changed directions. Not enough to score, but enough to handcuff the St. Cloud goalie and create a high quality rebound. Second effort got the job done. Riemenschneider popped the puck into the net, and the celebration was on.

I know Elise will be happy to share her moment with her teammates. For Jincy, yet another Senior Assist. For Emma, this was the point that gave her the Single Season Scoring Record at Ohio State.

You just can't make up this kind of story. Sometimes truth really is better than fiction. Years from now, there will countless conversations that go something like this: Do you remember when Elise Riemenschneider scored her first goal on Senior Day? Now that was great!

Up Next: 2020 WCHA Playoffs Open With Game #1 vs. Minnesota State. As You'd Expect, Face-Off Is Friday @ 6:07PM.
        Last edited by pgb-ohio; 02-23-2020, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Glad you put the wink emoticon next to the Shattuck comment since we do have a young lady on the team who played for that "other" SSM.

All kidding aside, it was an awesome weekend for the Buckeyes and the Seniors. I like the way our team is playing right now, clamping it down on D and getting scoring from three lines, as well as the D's.
          Last edited by osualum86; 02-23-2020, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
            Glad you put the wink emoticon next to the Shattuck comment since we do have a young lady on the team who played for that "other" SSM.
            Definitely. I've been familiar with Shattuck St. Mary's for a long time, and have no doubt it's a high quality place. I'm 99% sure that Buckeye Goalie April Stojack went to Shattuck, though of course her hometown is Kent, Ohio. There may have been other past Buckeyes who went to Prep School there; I'm not sure about that.

Mostly I was just having a little fun with the initials. I was trying to imagine a nickname for our top line, and it amused me when I noticed the three last names could be abbreviated to SSM. But yeah, my bad. I did forget that Brooke Bink went to Shattuck.
            Last edited by pgb-ohio; 02-24-2020, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
              Definitely. I've been familiar with Shattuck St. Mary's for a long time, and have no doubt it's a high quality place. I'm 99% sure that Buckeye Goalie April Stojack went to Shattuck, though of course her hometown is Kent, Ohio. There may have been other past Buckeyes who went to Prep School there; I'm not sure about that.

Mostly I was just having a little fun with the initials. I was trying to imagine a nickname for our top line, and it amused me when I noticed the three last names could be abbreviated to SSM. But yeah, my bad. I did forget that Brooke Bink went to Shattuck.
              All in fun!

Comment

To get that 4 seed and play at home Ohio State neeeds one of two things to happen. either they win the tournament and Northeastern loses a game in the qtrs and then losses in the semi or final of their tournament. OR Northeastern loses to vermont and Ohio State gets to the final

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                  To get that 4 seed and play at home Ohio State neeeds one of two things to happen. either they win the tournament and Northeastern loses a game in the qtrs and then losses in the semi or final of their tournament. OR Northeastern loses to vermont and Ohio State gets to the final
                  I think Ohio State can win the WCHA Tournament. Not sure about the other side of the equation with Northeastern.

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                    I think Ohio State can win the WCHA Tournament. Not sure about the other side of the equation with Northeastern.
                    Would be awesome if they get to host a tournament game

Comment

Would be awesome if they get to host a tournament game
                      If we do I hope Mr.PGB can contain his excitement!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                        I think they can too. It might come down to can the short bench survive playing 2 opponents in the top 4 in the country. UW is beatable right now, but UM seems to be humming on all cylinders. From watching the UW game with NE, NE is every bit as good as UW, I don't know how well they are playing now. But based on that I think NE will be able to retain the top 4 spot. But it would be cool to see UM, UW and OSU all host ncaa's.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          It might come down to can the short bench survive playing 2 opponents in the top 4 in the country.
                          The WCHA Tourney setup is not friendly to an upset win from a team that plays a short rotation. Wisconsin will play in the early game on Sat., so OSU will be in the game that starts at 5 and will likely not finish before 7:30 if both games end in regulation. Then Sunday's game is at 2:07 DST, meaning they lost an hour of rest overnight. That makes it hard to go against the likes of UW, UMD, or BSU on short rest and just ride two lines.

... but UM seems to be humming on all cylinders.
                          The Gophers went through a stretch against OSU/UW/UMD where they lost four times. Now they've swept BSU and MSU. I don't know that they're playing better, just playing teams against whom they matched up better.
                          I don't know how well they are playing now. But based on that I think NE will be able to retain the top 4 spot.
                          I think the "OSU hosts" scenario requires Northeastern to lose a quarterfinal game. That means the Huskies have to lose to Vermont, and since they won comfortably yesterday, they'd have to lose today. It doesn't look like UVM can keep the Huskies' offense under control for a full 60 minutes, so it will likely have to be "wait until next year" for the chance of three WCHA hosts.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

To get that 4 seed and play at home Ohio State needs one of two things to happen. either they win the tournament and Northeastern loses a game in the qtrs and then losses in the semi or final of their tournament. OR Northeastern loses to vermont and Ohio State gets to the final
                            I can get OSU to #4 without Northeastern having to lose twice; just once, to BC in the HE semi.

But you also need Princeton to not win the ECAC...

(And the above apparently depends on Robert Morris beating Syracuse twice this weekend. That's how close it is.)
                            Last edited by robertearle; 02-28-2020, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                              I can get OSU to #4 without Northeastern having to lose twice; just once, to BC in the HE semi.
                              I wonder if it still plays out that way if Northeastern instead would lose to UNH in the semis, given that the Wildcats are up on PC and could be the lowest remaining seed in HEA?
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                I wonder if it still plays out that way if Northeastern instead would lose to UNH in the semis, given that the Wildcats are up on PC and could be the lowest remaining seed in HEA?
                                BU and NH in the HE final, along with OSU winning the WCHA and Princeton not winning the ECAC, AND various combinations of CHA results this weekend and next still gets OSU to #4. But other CHA combinations, and they fall short. It is really that close, that something 'out of left field' nudges it one way or the other.

Adding, it also helps OSU if Duluth can finish off Bemidji in two games instead of three. THAT could make the difference in getting OSU to #4.
                                Last edited by robertearle; 02-28-2020, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X