Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    I know firsthand that the AD and other bigwigs at OSU don't travel commercial.
    I have a connection to Netjets.
    Correct. And the team typically travels by private jet these days as well. I guess the NCAA paying for the flights mucks things up for them. I confirmed this with an OSU contact just a bit ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
      They have to fly commercial because the NCAA pays for the flights. And I'm sure the game is considered "essential" travel by OSU.
      "NCAA pays for the flight" and "flying commercial" aren't necessarily the same thing. The NCAA can "pay for" the chartered flight, as well.

Comment

There's no way. They'd have to make all flights private charters to be fair and they'd never spend that kind of money. As I said, I've confirmed they're flying commercial.

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
          There's no way. They'd have to make all flights private charters to be fair and they'd never spend that kind of money. As I said, I've confirmed they're flying commercial.
          Well, it will be a nice little trip to Minnesota for Mrs 86 and I. Told her we could go to Mall of America. Too late to cancel stuff. Wish they would have made the call a day or two ago. Oh well. I feel bad for the girls, especially the Seniors. They were having the best season ever and had a legitimate shot at winning it all this season. My heart hurts for them.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
            Well, it will be a nice little trip to Minnesota for Mrs 86 and I. Told her we could go to Mall of America. Too late to cancel stuff.
            Are you sure? I heard airlines (at least Delta) are offering changes w/o fees because of the pandemic. Not sure that MOA is really the best place to go at a time like this. Maybe it is deserted, but otherwise, it attracts a lot of people from around the world. It's kind of the opposite of the national objective right now.

Anyway, at least your team's season on the ice ended on the highest of highs, and I hope that your travel plans end well for you.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Well, it will be a nice little trip to Minnesota for Mrs 86 and I. Told her we could go to Mall of America. Too late to cancel stuff. Wish they would have made the call a day or two ago. Oh well.
              Originally posted by ARM View Post
              Are you sure? I heard airlines (at least Delta) are offering changes w/o fees because of the pandemic. Not sure that MOA is really the best place to go at a time like this. Maybe it is deserted, but otherwise, it attracts a lot of people from around the world. It's kind of the opposite of the national objective right now.
              OK, now this is a good challenge: Planning a short trip that gives you a real "Taste of Minnesota," while keeping human contact to modest levels. With some college hockey connections tossed in. I'm thinking Driving/Walking Tours, with the drive/walk decision dictated by your preferences, and of course the weather. Perhaps one of these will be of interest:

1. Minneapolis Burger Quest
              As far as I'm concerned, the definitive place for Burgers, Fries & Malts -- anywhere -- is Annie's Parlour. 313 14th Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414; (612) 379-0744. Located in the University Of Minnesota's Dinkytown neighborhood, it's walking distance from Ridder & Mariucci. I'm partial to the Hot Fudge Banana Malt. Order your burger according to taste, but at least consider the Smoky Cheddar Cheese option. But if you arrive hungry, try the Riverside platter. From there, you can walk a portion of the campus. Or check it out from the "virus-free safety" of your rental car. The U of M is a large B1G campus, in the city, in a University District. You'll feel right at home.

2. St. Paul Bakery Quest
              Check out St. Paul's Grand Avenue, and find your reward at Bread & Chocolate. 867 Grand Avenue, Saint Paul, MN 55105; (651) 228-1017. After lunch, drive along nearby Summit Avenue & view the mansions. A bit further west , check out the St. Thomas campus. Someday soon St. Thomas may be a D-1 Hockey rival. The Women's program might even be a candidate for the Women's WCHA.

3. US Hockey Hall of Fame Pilgrimage
              Fair warning, this is a 3 hour drive from the Twin Cities, located at 801 Hat Trick Avenue, Eveleth, MN 55734; (218) 744-5167. But with Ohio as our starting point, you don't get too many opportunities to drop by the Hall when you're "just passing through." Anything on "Hat Trick Avenue" has to be cool, right? And here's another Bakery Quest for you. On your way North, top off your gas tank and try the baked goods at Tobie's. 404 Fire Monument Rd, Hinckley, MN 55037; (320) 384-6174. (You can see it from the Hinckley Exit on I-35)

4. The Women's Hockey Goodwill Ambassador Option

Step One: Make the 5 Hour Drive to Grand Forks, ND. Wearing Ohio State Hockey Jerseys, of course. Perhaps you'll wind up at the world famous Olive Garden. Better still, a cafe with counter seating. Engage the locals with hockey talk. Keep things 100% positive for several minutes. Then, have a moment of revelation. Happily & Loudly proclaim: Of course if there's no Women's D-1 Hockey team, it can't be a hockey school! Exchange a celebratory high five with your wife. Gauge the local reaction.

Step Two: After your return to the Eastern Time Zone, travel to Ann Arbor. Repeat the experiment.

Step Three: Survive Steps One & Two.

Step Four: Compare & Contrast the two experiences. Post research results on USCHO.

I feel bad for the girls, especially the Seniors. They were having the best season ever and had a legitimate shot at winning it all this season. My heart hurts for them.
              Originally posted by ARM View Post
              Anyway, at least your team's season on the ice ended on the highest of highs, and I hope that your travel plans end well for you.
              OK, let's take the current lemon and make some lemonade. We have a 4 Way Tie for the 2020 National Championship. The 4 teams that ended the season with wins:
              Mercyhurst, Northeastern, Ohio State & Princeton

Now that's adding new blood to the Champions List. And hey, I'm sure we can count on Lindsay's support.

Comment

Just to eliminate any doubts as to the intent of my previous post:

1. The main point was to encourage everyone, including '86, to keep smiling.

2. If anyone does travel in the next few days or weeks, you definitely need to call ahead to your destinations. The cancellations and closings go way beyond major sports events. Countless museums, libraries and other public places are announcing cancellations left & right. As just one example, it would be horrible to make a 6 hour round trip to the Hall of Fame & find it closed. Call ahead.

3. Keep Calm & Carry On remains good advice. But there are so many unknowns with this particular crisis. Err on the side of caution is also good advice. I agree with ARM that MOA is best avoided for the time being. Going further, I don't want to be understood as encouraging anything that constitutes "taking a risk" with Covid-19. Err on the side of caution.
                Last edited by pgb-ohio; 03-13-2020, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post

2. If anyone does travel in the next few days or weeks, you definitely need to call ahead to your destinations. The cancellations and closings go way beyond major sports events. Countless museums, libraries and other public places are announcing cancellations left & right. As just one example, it would be horrible to make a 6 hour round trip to the Hall of Fame & find it closed. Call ahead.

3. Keep Calm & Carry On remains good advice. But there are so many unknowns with this particular crisis. Err on the side of caution is also good advice. I agree with ARM that MOA is best avoided for the time being. Going further, I don't want to be understood as encouraging anything that constitutes "taking a risk" with Covid-19. Err on the side of caution.
                  I enjoyed your previous post on where to go and what to do for a taste of Minny and will need a smilectomy soon.
                  Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                  And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                  WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                  If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                    OK, now this is a good challenge: Planning a short trip that gives you a real "Taste of Minnesota," while keeping human contact to modest levels. With some college hockey connections tossed in. I'm thinking Driving/Walking Tours, with the drive/walk decision dictated by your preferences, and of course the weather. Perhaps one of these will be of interest:

1. Minneapolis Burger Quest
                    As far as I'm concerned, the definitive place for Burgers, Fries & Malts -- anywhere -- is Annie's Parlour. 313 14th Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414; (612) 379-0744. Located in the University Of Minnesota's Dinkytown neighborhood, it's walking distance from Ridder & Mariucci. I'm partial to the Hot Fudge Banana Malt. Order your burger according to taste, but at least consider the Smoky Cheddar Cheese option. But if you arrive hungry, try the Riverside platter. From there, you can walk a portion of the campus. Or check it out from the "virus-free safety" of your rental car. The U of M is a large B1G campus, in the city, in a University District. You'll feel right at home.

2. St. Paul Bakery Quest
                    Check out St. Paul's Grand Avenue, and find your reward at Bread & Chocolate. 867 Grand Avenue, Saint Paul, MN 55105; (651) 228-1017. After lunch, drive along nearby Summit Avenue & view the mansions. A bit further west , check out the St. Thomas campus. Someday soon St. Thomas may be a D-1 Hockey rival. The Women's program might even be a candidate for the Women's WCHA.

3. US Hockey Hall of Fame Pilgrimage
                    Fair warning, this is a 3 hour drive from the Twin Cities, located at 801 Hat Trick Avenue, Eveleth, MN 55734; (218) 744-5167. But with Ohio as our starting point, you don't get too many opportunities to drop by the Hall when you're "just passing through." Anything on "Hat Trick Avenue" has to be cool, right? And here's another Bakery Quest for you. On your way North, top off your gas tank and try the baked goods at Tobie's. 404 Fire Monument Rd, Hinckley, MN 55037; (320) 384-6174. (You can see it from the Hinckley Exit on I-35)

4. The Women's Hockey Goodwill Ambassador Option

Step One: Make the 5 Hour Drive to Grand Forks, ND. Wearing Ohio State Hockey Jerseys, of course. Perhaps you'll wind up at the world famous Olive Garden. Better still, a cafe with counter seating. Engage the locals with hockey talk. Keep things 100% positive for several minutes. Then, have a moment of revelation. Happily & Loudly proclaim: Of course if there's no Women's D-1 Hockey team, it can't be a hockey school! Exchange a celebratory high five with your wife. Gauge the local reaction.

Step Two: After your return to the Eastern Time Zone, travel to Ann Arbor. Repeat the experiment.

Step Three: Survive Steps One & Two.

Step Four: Compare & Contrast the two experiences. Post research results on USCHO.

OK, let's take the current lemon and make some lemonade. We have a 4 Way Tie for the 2020 National Championship. The 4 teams that ended the season with wins:

Now that's adding new blood to the Champions List. And hey, I'm sure we can count on Lindsay's support.
                    I like it!

I also like the idea of doing the national championship tournament in the fall with the teams that earned a bid. Obvs I know NCAA will never go for it.

Comment

And to make it a REAL FEEL GOOD MOMENT we give participation trophies to the other 4 teams.
                      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Yeah, I thought about the whole MoA thing and decided it would not be a good idea to be around that many people! We'll figure something out. I like Pgb's "Taste of Minneapolis" idea.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                          And to make it a REAL FEEL GOOD MOMENT we give participation trophies to the other 4 teams.
                          Absolutely!

And just think. With all the money we'll be saving on flights, paying for 8 trophies should be completely painless.

Comment

Thank you for the encouragement. As the day came and went, I was still thinking about the girls and wishing I was at Ridder Arena earlier today watching our girls play Minnesota in the quarterfinal, but between all the posts, and a great friend picking us up and showing us around the area today, I am feeling better. Now begins six months of watching videos until next season begins. Pgb, I already have the title for next season's thread ... Ohio State Buckeyes 2020-2021: Erie or bust!

Comment

Thank you for the encouragement. As the day came and went, I was still thinking about the girls and wishing I was at Ridder Arena earlier today watching our girls play Minnesota in the quarterfinal, but between all the posts, and a great friend picking us up and showing us around the area today, I am feeling better.
                              Glad you're having a fine time. It's always great to be in the State of Hockey. Admittedly it's better when actual hockey is being played. But even now, lots of fun to be had.

Now begins six months of watching videos until next season begins. Pgb, I already have the title for next season's thread ... Ohio State Buckeyes 2020-2021: Erie or Bust!
                              I like it! I'm thinking the 2021 Final Face-Off will be eerily similar to 2020. Then, we'll go up to NW PA and bust through for the top prize!
                              Last edited by pgb-ohio; 03-14-2020, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X