Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    For Sunday's game Wisconsin I assume will want to come out strong and try to take charge of the game early.
    If OSU can get the sweep and sweep next weekend at home to close out the regular season what do you think our chances are of getting up to #4 in the pairwise?
    Beating Wisconsin today netted a gain of 0.0054 in OSU's RPI, They now trail Northeastern by 0.0188, more than three times today's net gain. Beating St Cloud is not going to net you much, if anything.

So, if OSU wins the WCHA tournament and Northeastern drops a game or two... maybe. But anything short of that and, "eyeballing it", I'd say chances are not at all good.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      Minn's is even better than that.
      Corrected...
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
        I know Eeyore thought the call against Roque was worth five minutes. I was sitting more-or-less 'under' the camera position - even with the blue line towards the end where it happened (and I looked at the video replay here at home). It was probably worth a two minute, but IMO it lacked any sort of 'follow-through' force to warrant a five. And considering all they had let go up to that point.... The five against OSU was at the other end of the ice from me and closer to the 'near' corner, where my view is not great, so I have no particular opinion on it.
        I don't have the subscription to watch the replay, but I don't think it was the force of the hit that made it a major. It was the extremely vulnerable position Rosenthal was in when Roque hit her again. Any contact from that angle in that moment deserves a major.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
          It was the extremely vulnerable position Rosenthal was in when Roque hit her again. Any contact from that angle in that moment deserves a major.
          Agree with all of this.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Wisconsin and Ohio State skated to a 1-1 tie this afternoon in Madison. Wisconsin scored in the 3-on-3 OT to get the extra point for the WCHA Standings. The Buckeyes started the scoring on a Tatum Skaggs goal in the first period. That 1-0 score stood until the third period when the Badgers' Abby Roque lit the lamp to tie it at 1. Neither team scored in the first OT, so the game went to a second OT to see who would get the extra point. Wisconsin's Britta Curl scored in the 2nd OT for the Badgers and they earn the second point today. Live stats has the SOG at 39-22 in favor of Wisconsin with Ohio State's Andrea Braendli stopping 38 of those 39 shots (live stats apparently does not include shots or goals from the second OT). Badger backstop Kristen Campbell stopped 21 of the 22 shots she faced. Next weekend is big for the top four teams in the WCHA. Wisconsin is in first place with 51 points, followed by Minnesota with 48. Minnesota-Duluth and Ohio State are tied with 40 points since the Buckeyes picked up four points in Madison this weekend. Wisconsin will travel to Duluth to take on the Bulldogs next weekend. Ohio State will return home to host St. Cloud for Senior Weekend. The 2nd-place Gophers will host Minnesota State.

Comment

OSU generated very little offense all weekend. It really seemed like that had more to do with a gameplan than stifling Wisconsin defense. It worked great when Roque handed them a 5-minute power play that they jumped all over. Today, I thought they were very fortunate (and an outstanding game by Brändli) not to lose by 2-3 goals.

Comment

OSU generated very little offense all weekend. It really seemed like that had more to do with a gameplan than stifling Wisconsin defense. It worked great when Roque handed them a 5-minute power play that they jumped all over. Today, I thought they were very fortunate (and an outstanding game by Brändli) not to lose by 2-3 goals.
                Given OSU returned home with a series win over a favored team, it is hard to fault the Buckeyes' strategy.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Yeah, I am not going to complain about getting four points up there this weekend, that's for sure. Now if we could just figure out how to beat them in Columbus. I like where we are at right now, though. I am no expert, but based on the postgame interview, Coach thinks we are playing well right now, and that is good enough for me. I do agree with your statement about our offense and think we need to generate more offense. St. Cloud will come in next weekend with nothing to lose, and they actually tend to play us tougher on our smaller ice surface than they do up there, so we absolutely cannot overlook them.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                    Live stats has the SOG at 39-22 in favor of Wisconsin with Ohio State's Andrea Braendli stopping 38 of those 39 shots (live stats apparently does not include shots or goals from the second OT)
                    Which makes sense, because those things don't count in the official NCAA stats.

Confusion is going to be created, regardless of which way you do it. Best to go with the official NCAA numbers.

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    Given OSU returned home with a series win over a favored team, it is hard to fault the Buckeyes' strategy.
                    Indeed. I'm very proud of what our team accomplished this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                      Can't say I have but no reason to doubt you. I do know the camera's they have there are quite small compared to what I see at the Blue Jackets arena so I would naturally assume the quality matches the size.
                      That being said I just wish I could have seen the call better on the major against OSU. I didn't think it warranted that penalty but just couldn't see all the detail so my professional Laz E Boy refereeing would be flawless as always!
                      Ya'll use one single stationary camera on the bleacher side of the stadium and we have to watch the game through the netting. It can get fish-eye feeling when play is on one end or the other, there's no zoom and of course there's the net issue. It's ROUGH
                      It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

If you only went by how she played in Madison, Andrea Braendli should win every award. No idea why she doesn't carry that through back in Columbus, but she was just so good both last year and this year. IIRC, last year's performance included more acrobatic, jaw-dropping saves. What was evident this weekend was how improved her reading and positioning were. She didn't have to make spectacular saves because she was always in the right spot to just make a stop. Considering how much the Buckeyes packed it in in front of her, I thought how well she saw and tracked the puck was really impressive. So was her rebound control.

Comment

Originally posted by NMH View Post
                          If you only went by how she played in Madison, Andrea Braendli should win every award. No idea why she doesn't carry that through back in Columbus, but she was just so good both last year and this year. IIRC, last year's performance included more acrobatic, jaw-dropping saves. What was evident this weekend was how improved her reading and positioning were. She didn't have to make spectacular saves because she was always in the right spot to just make a stop. Considering how much the Buckeyes packed it in in front of her, I thought how well she saw and tracked the puck was really impressive. So was her rebound control.
                          Andrea Braendli has been a solid goaltender for us. It will be nice to have her here for a couple more seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                            Andrea Braendli has been a solid goaltender for us. It will be nice to have her here for a couple more seasons.
                            I wasn't clear, but I was referring to her games against the Badgers in Columbus vs. her games vs the Badgers in Madison. It's seems impossible the goalie that that stymied Wisconsin this weekend gave up a 7 spot back in October.

Comment

Ya'll use one single stationary camera on the bleacher side of the stadium and we have to watch the game through the netting. It can get fish-eye feeling when play is on one end or the other, there's no zoom and of course there's the net issue. It's ROUGH
                              The broadcast today from the Kohl Center was MUCH better in quality.

Comment

I wasn't clear, but I was referring to her games against the Badgers in Columbus vs. her games vs the Badgers in Madison. It's seems impossible the goalie that that stymied Wisconsin this weekend gave up a 7 spot back in October.
                                I understood your point. Four of Wisconsin's goals in the 7-3 game last fall were power play goals. Their PP was really clicking that day and we spent too much time in the box that weekend. That's not to say that Andrea shouldn't have stopped a couple of those, but it's different when you're on a power play and can stand in front of the net and screen the goalie. I don't remember all the shots on those power plays, I just remembered that the Badgers got four pp goals in that game. But back to your original point, she seems to really step it up against the Badgers in Madison. That, and we have made some adjustments in our penalty kill over the course of the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X