Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
    I’ve heard nothing but positive things from coaches and players who have participated over the years (except Muzz of course). The typical player response is it’s a great hockey memory they’ll have for a lifetime. I do, however, think it should not be a game that counts for WCHA points. Points in this league are too hard to come by much less trying to earn them in an unpredictable outdoor winter environment.
    My suspicion is that they like being part of an event, and getting recognized on TV, but that playing outdoors has little to do with it. As a fan, it is the only home game I've skipped this year.

Comment

The muzzinator...

"That second goal was a nice gift for them off the boards and you know that wouldn't normally happen in games and the conditions of the ice and the clock running a little bit more."

So the so called ice conditions were only affecting OSU and Minnesota got a so called break that never happens? A bounce off the boards? Ya don't say...And there was some home cooking on the game clock??? LMFAO.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Only Muzz could rain on what has become a great hockey event for all involved by saying she never wants to play in another Hockey Day outdoor game. Yeah, you lost. Show some class and think about how cool it was for at least your MN players to participate in.
        You have a chip on your shoulder with regard to Coach Muzz. I just watched the interview. I don't agree with her 100%, but the candor is refreshing; not "pouty." As far as I'm concerned, the only way you can get to "pouty" is by intentionally lifting a sentence or two out of context. Watching the interview as a whole, the commentary was not disrespectful.

90% of post-game interviews are politically correct to a fault, and as a result are mind-numbingly dull. Do we really need to stamp out the 10% worth listening to?

That said, you also make some good points. Keep reading...

If OSU had won her comments on the event likely would have been different...
        You're right that the outcome had everything to do with her reaction. No one could have known this when the outdoor game was scheduled, but Saturday's loss likely eliminated the Buckeyes from a realistic shot at a regular season championship. OK, even with a win, it would have been a tall mountain to climb. But it sure is nice when you're in the mix. The realization of an opportunity lost stings a bit, don't you think? Come Monday morning, Coach Muzz will have more perspective -- just like anyone would after a little time for reflection.

I'd also add that someday the NHL may hold an outdoor game at Ohio Stadium. With the necessary rink in place, there may be an opportunity for a Women's D-1 game. If so, I imagine Coach Muzz will feel quite differently at that point.

I’ve heard nothing but positive things from coaches and players who have participated over the years (except Muzz of course). The typical player response is it’s a great hockey memory they’ll have for a lifetime. I do, however, think it should not be a game that counts for WCHA points. Points in this league are too hard to come by much less trying to earn them in an unpredictable outdoor winter environment.
        On this last point, we agree 100%. Outdoor games shouldn't count in the league standings, for the exact reason you state.

But I can't resist putting all the pieces together, and making one last comment. Suppose the outdoor game had been played as an exhibition, the way it should have been. Don't you think that Muzzerall's post-game interview would have been very different, even with the same final score? I sure do.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          The muzzinator...

"That second goal was a nice gift for them off the boards and you know that wouldn't normally happen in games and the conditions of the ice and the clock running a little bit more."

So the so called ice conditions were only affecting OSU and Minnesota got a so called break that never happens? A bounce off the boards? Ya don't say...And there was some home cooking on the game clock??? LMFAO.
          This would be a portion of the interview that I can't agree with. Oden read the angle of the initial shot very nicely and cashed the chance.

Don't know if the Gophers had more of a chance to practice on the outdoor ice than the Buckeyes did, and therefore learn the boards. But even if so, that's just home ice advantage.

At the same time, who woulda thunk that outdoor ice would affect the Buckeyes more than the Gophers? We're supposed to be the team that's creating turnovers and scoring on the counter, at least against the Gophers. Imperfect ice should have been our ally. Instead, it sure appeared that your team did a better job of adapting than the Buckeyes. You execute better, you tend to win. Good for the Gophers.

Comment

Quick question - Braendliis helmet looked like it had a city skyline painted on it. Anyone know what city or more details of the mask?

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
              You have a chip on your shoulder with regard to Coach Muzz...Suppose the outdoor game had been played as an exhibition, the way it should have been. Don't you think that Muzzerall's post-game interview would have been very different, even with the same final score? I sure do.
              No chip. In fact, in terms of team success, I’d say she’s consistently the best coach in the WCHA when you consider the rosters she has to work with compared to MN & WI. But, IMO she also throws her players under the bus more and blamed refs and the like more than any other coach in the league when she loses as well. I also look forward to her postgame comments to see how many times she can credit herself in a win.

Here’s the deal, we call out players on these forums all the time for not performing up to their potential or abilities. I hold coaches just as accountable for meeting the highest professional standards. I just don’t think Muzz is there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                This would be a portion of the interview that I can't agree with. Oden read the angle of the initial shot very nicely and cashed the chance.

Don't know if the Gophers had more of a chance to practice on the outdoor ice than the Buckeyes did, and therefore learn the boards. But even if so, that's just home ice advantage.

At the same time, who woulda thunk that outdoor ice would affect the Buckeyes more than the Gophers? We're supposed to be the team that's creating turnovers and scoring on the counter, at least against the Gophers. Imperfect ice should have been our ally. Instead, it sure appeared that your team did a better job of adapting than the Buckeyes. You execute better, you tend to win. Good for the Gophers.
                I was thinking the same thing about OSU possibly benefiting more from the less than ideal ice conditions. I could be wrong but I don't think either team had "practice" other than what they had in warmups. Minnesota was really not very good on Friday night despite what a certain poster would pontificate about and they did adapt better than the Buckeyes on Saturday. Still though, overall a pretty good weekend for OSU.
                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Now I didn't see last weekends games so I didn't see the ice conditions or officiating but having witnessed many years of questionable to outright bad officiating with the men's team in the CCHA era is it really inappropriate for a coach to call out officiating when it costs your team?
                  There's nothing wrong with giving your honest opinion is there although some will see it as sour grapes or excuse making?
                  And I can see where Coach Muzzy would be sensitive to questionable calls when one such interference call took away what would have most likely been the winning goal against Clarkson in the FF.

Comment

• Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                    No chip. In fact, in terms of team success, I’d say she’s consistently the best coach in the WCHA when you consider the rosters she has to work with compared to MN & WI. But, IMO she also throws her players under the bus more and blamed refs and the like more than any other coach in the league when she loses as well. I also look forward to her postgame comments to see how many times she can credit herself in a win.

et.
                    The gist of this is probably a fair take. I don’t watch every postgame interview by any means. I think it’s clear from my posts I’m a Muzerall fan. For better or for worse she wears her heart on her sleeve. While she can be hard on her players (or whoever) in her comments she has also shown genuine pride and emotion in her players successes over the years, most recently when the whole team carted off to Pittsburgh to cheer for Emma Maltais on Team Canada. I think sometimes the same things that make a coach great can be troublesome and maybe that’s a bit of what this is.

I think the 2nd goal was a gift to Minnesota, but the gift was thanks to the play of the Buckeyes. Muzerall has always been “us against the world” so of course she’s going to talk ice conditions.

It’s probably easier for the other coaches in the W to be chill after losses because you either have teams that aren’t in the hunt for anything, or Wisc and Minn who have boatloads off hardware and past success, and can rest on their laurels a bit without worrying about recruiting and rankings and making the NCAA tourney. OSU is so close but still trying to get there so I understand the emotion.

Granted it was just after a loss (and I’m a fan) so it’s easier for me to excise the “we’ll not do another hockey day minnesota” comment. But what I would say about that is 2 things: no sympathy from me because partaking in these spectacles comes will all sorts of attention and recruiting upside they will use now and in the future. Heck this game was in tv in Ohio. How often does that happen (never) and how cool was it for us fans (very). Both OSU and Minnesota chose to be in 2 spectacle type events this year, and despite being two of the best teams in the country neither swept at those events. It’s hardly surprising give all the distraction and unusual conditions and you can’t have it both ways so no sympathy, but she’s entitled to say she’s done with outdoor games. The second thing I would say about these spectacle events is that if you want to win a national championship you’re going to have to figure out how to win amidst a spectacle and maybe even with poor ice conditions (remember all the talk last year about the frozen four), so embrace it and figure it out, maybe it’ll serve you well later.

Still a great weekend for OSU, and Muzerall is still one of the best coaches in the country. OSU is so close. Awesome finish by Jaques in her goal. Big time play. Liz Schepers needs more hype that woman is a fantastic passer. Jincy Dunne almost spring someone for a late scoring chance with seconds left in the game. Figure out the PP and this team could maybe win some trophies. Credit to Minnesota on a needed win to salvage the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                      The gist of this is probably a fair take. I don’t watch every postgame interview by any means. I think it’s clear from my posts I’m a Muzerall fan. For better or for worse she wears her heart on her sleeve...Granted it was just after a loss (and I’m a fan) so it’s easier for me to excise the “we’ll not do another hockey day minnesota” comment. But what I would say about that is 2 things: no sympathy from me because partaking in these spectacles comes will all sorts of attention and recruiting upside they will use now and in the future. Heck this game was in tv in Ohio. How often does that happen (never) and how cool was it for us fans (very). Both OSU and Minnesota chose to be in 2 spectacle type events this year, and despite being two of the best teams in the country neither swept at those events. It’s hardly surprising give all the distraction and unusual conditions and you can’t have it both ways so no sympathy, but she’s entitled to say she’s done with outdoor games. The second thing I would say about these spectacle events is that if you want to win a national championship you’re going to have to figure out how to win amidst a spectacle and maybe even with poor ice conditions (remember all the talk last year about the frozen four), so embrace it and figure it out, maybe it’ll serve you well later.

Still a great weekend for OSU, and Muzerall is still one of the best coaches in the country. OSU is so close. Awesome finish by Jaques in her goal. Big time play. Liz Schepers needs more hype that woman is a fantastic passer. Jincy Dunne almost spring someone for a late scoring chance with seconds left in the game. Figure out the PP and this team could maybe win some trophies. Credit to Minnesota on a needed win to salvage the weekend.
                      I know the forum hates the beating of dead horses so I'll let the topic go with this post. I think your comment about her wearing her heart on her sleeve is right on and, IMO, exactly where she can improve in terms of postgame comments. Muzz rightly talks about her players needing to not get caught up in distractions and to manage their emotions if the team is to be successful; I think she needs to follow her own advice.

And based on the rest of your post, I don't think our opinions are that far apart - especially given that yours are filtered through being a huge Buckeye fan and great supporter of the program. Your passion for the Buckeyes is admirable and your passion for the team is part of what makes these forum conversations so enjoyable!

Comment

Only Muzz could rain on what has become a great hockey event for all involved by saying she never wants to play in another Hockey Day outdoor game. Yeah, you lost. Show some class and think about how cool it was for at least your MN players to participate in. If OSU had won her comments on the event likely would have been different. Pouty players do that, not professional coaches.

You must be watching different sports than me, because most professional coaches whine like a baby. In fact hockey is probably the worst, it is well accepted that a coach should whine and complain to the officials, you’ll start getting the calls going your way.
                        If she can get the other WCHA coaches to say the same thing, that would be great. Note that the WILD did not play outdoors.
                        If someone wants to play or watch a hockey game outdoors in January in MN I assume the following:
                        1) They grew up in an area with indoor arenas and rarely, if ever, played outdoors. Certainly not in January.
                        2) They never played hockey. They never watched a game outdoors before.
                        3) Perhaps they did play outdoors, but they’ve spent the past 15-20 as a hockey parent whose kid never played outdoors, they’ve forgotten what it is like.

Ask anybody who grew up WITHOUT an indoor arena if they’d like to play outdoors in January (or watch a game outdoors) and they’ll look at you like you are crazy and not even answer wondering if you are serious or not. If they never have to paly or watch a game outdoors again, it will be a beautiful HDM.

Even beyond the brutal cold they are not fun games to watch or play. The players skate slower, the puck moves slower. The men’s game at US Bank between the Gophers and Buckeyes a few years back is a perfect example. BORING! The Gophers scored an early goal then it was about 45 minutes of watching two teams dump the puck and unable to pursue it (or in the Gophers case, unwilling). They sat on their one goal lead and there was nothing OSU was able to do.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                          Note that the WILD did not play outdoors.
                          Makes perfect sense. Why would they choose to give up the ticket and concession revenue from 19,000 fans?
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                            You must be watching different sports than me, because most professional coaches whine like a baby. In fact hockey is probably the worst, it is well accepted that a coach should whine and complain to the officials, you’ll start getting the calls going your way.
                            If she can get the other WCHA coaches to say the same thing, that would be great. Note that the WILD did not play outdoors.
                            If someone wants to play or watch a hockey game outdoors in January in MN I assume the following:
                            1) They grew up in an area with indoor arenas and rarely, if ever, played outdoors. Certainly not in January.
                            2) They never played hockey. They never watched a game outdoors before.
                            3) Perhaps they did play outdoors, but they’ve spent the past 15-20 as a hockey parent whose kid never played outdoors, they’ve forgotten what it is like.

Ask anybody who grew up WITHOUT an indoor arena if they’d like to play outdoors in January (or watch a game outdoors) and they’ll look at you like you are crazy and not even answer wondering if you are serious or not. If they never have to paly or watch a game outdoors again, it will be a beautiful HDM.

Even beyond the brutal cold they are not fun games to watch or play. The players skate slower, the puck moves slower. The men’s game at US Bank between the Gophers and Buckeyes a few years back is a perfect example. BORING! The Gophers scored an early goal then it was about 45 minutes of watching two teams dump the puck and unable to pursue it (or in the Gophers case, unwilling). They sat on their one goal lead and there was nothing OSU was able to do.
                            Muzz may have rained on Hockey Day but leave it you, Pokechecker, to downright monsoon on it! 😂

Comment

• Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                              Note that the WILD did not play outdoors.
                              And you do realize the Wild will be hosting the outdoor NHL Winter Classic at Target Field next season right? And the game will likely be sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                Makes perfect sense. Why would they choose to give up the ticket and concession revenue from 19,000 fans?
                                they could play outdoors and have 40,000+ seats to fill

I'm also thinking, with reference to criticism of Muzzie's comments after a game, maybe it is a carry over from her being at Minnesota, you know, the talk about "they get up to play us because they have a lot players who grew up in MN" which is an implied excuse for losing and an implied pat on the back when they win.
                                You'd think they could have gotten up for the only team to have beaten them.

Comment

Working...
                                X