Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    The broadcast today from the Kohl Center was MUCH better in quality.
    The only difference between a UW telecast from the Kohl Center vs one from Labahn would be the angle at which the 'main' camera sits relative to the ice surface. At LaBahn, the 'rise' of the stands means the camera is looking 'down' to the ice, while at the KC the camera is looking more 'across' the ice. I doubt there is any difference in the quality of the cameras (maybe more cameras and angles available to the director to choose from at the KC), and I am certain there is no difference in the infrastructure with regard to putting the streams out onto the internet, bit rates, etc etc.
    Last edited by robertearle; 02-17-2020, 11:11 AM.

Comment

So in the 3 on 3 period, was OSU just trying to get to the shootout? The one occasion where they had control of the puck they just farted around in the N zone and never looked to get the puck into the UW D zone.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        So in the 3 on 3 period, was OSU just trying to get to the shootout? The one occasion where they had control of the puck they just farted around in the N zone and never looked to get the puck into the UW D zone.
        My guess about that is that they were gassed, and really feared Wisconsin in transition with that much open ice, especially while Watts was out. As I've said elsewhere, I don't think refusing to cross the red line is a good approach even with that concern, but I can at least see the thought process.

Comment

It looked to me like the Buckeyes were gassed, which is understandable considering they were mostly chasing the puck for the last period and the two overtimes. And as their tanks emptied they made mistakes which they weren't making earlier in the game, and were simply not fresh enough to go on offense in the 3 on 3. And they likely figured, for good reason I think, that their chance of getting the extra point would be greater in a shootout than employing a more aggressive up and down strategy with all the open ice, taking into account their weary legs. At least that's the way it looked to me.

Edit: I see that Still Eeyore is saying pretty much the same thing, so we both must be right!
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

One of the fascinating questions to be answered over the coming off-season is how OSU is going to replace the 35+ minutes a game Jincy Dunne plays. She logs tough minutes for a team that runs a pretty short bench. She isn't the best player in the WCHA, but she is the most irreplaceable, and I'm not sure where Muzerall is going to turn when she's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
              (Dunne) isn't the best player in the WCHA, but she is the most irreplaceable, and I'm not sure where Muzerall is going to turn when she's gone.
              UMD seemed rather lost when Rooney was gone for the Olympics, so I'm not sure how easy she will be to replace.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Looking at the roster and I noticed assistant coach Milica McMillen is no longer listed. Did she go to another school?
                Pass the puck

Comment

Originally posted by Ahockeydad View Post
                  Looking at the roster and I noticed assistant coach Milica McMillen is no longer listed. Did she go to another school?
                  I wouldn't be surprised. For reasons unknown to me we seem to go through assistant coaches like sh*t through a duck.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                    I wouldn't be surprised. For reasons unknown to me we seem to go through assistant coaches like sh*t through a duck.
                    My perception from afar is that Muzzy maybe hard to work with. How else do you explain assistants leaving OSU like crap through a quacker.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

My perception from afar is that Muzzy maybe hard to work with.
                      The muzzinator...
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

My perception from afar is that Muzzy maybe hard to work with. How else do you explain assistants leaving OSU like crap through a quacker.
                        I may have to start inquiring about why it's a common theme here but my first reaction is I would not call you a liar sir.

Comment

Final Score From Friday, February 21st
                          Ohio State 3
                          St. Cloud State 0

Taking Care Of Business

Did the Buckeyes take care of business? Yes indeed! Did they work overtime? Not so much. The GWG was scored 30 seconds into the game.

Did OSU go into Overdrive? Not really. St. Cloud put up a respectable fight. But on this occasion, the standard gears sufficed.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

St. Cloud Honorable Mention: Hallie Theodosopoulos
                          Now about that respectable fight. Final SOG were 32-22 in favor of the Buckeyes. Still, that's reasonably good production by the Visitors. And the Huskies' top line forwards were particularly productive, accounting for 12 of the 22 St. Cloud shots on goal. But with 7 shots all by herself, Hallie blew past everyone -- on both teams.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Emma Maltais
                          Always the spark plug, Maltais had assists on the first two Buckeye tallies. No goals this time. But with five shots of her own, she still led the Buckeye offensive effort. When Emma hits the ice wearing that impish grin, you know it's time for a hockey party!

#3 Star: Andrea Braendli, Ohio State
                          Never take shutouts for granted. The truth is that OSU let the dogged Huskies hang close for half the game. It was Andrea that kept them at bay. Braendli's perfect night featured 22 solid saves.

#2 Star: Lisa Bruno, Ohio State
                          Fine Friday effort by the Buckeye 'D' Corps. As often happens, it's necessary to choose one player to represent a group effort. This time Bruno gets the nod.

Lisa also caught our attention on that early GWG. In a refreshing role reversal, it was a breakout pass from Emma that sent Lisa on an offensive rush. Bruno charged down the right wing, then sent a crisp past into the slot...

#1 Star: Liz Schepers, Ohio State
                          ... which was finished off by Liz with a nifty tip-in. Schepers was a dangerous presence in the slot all night long, attempting several creative tip plays. Only the first one found the twine, but it set the tone for the whole game. The Buckeyes dictated the terms of the engagement throughout, starting with the dynamic first shift.

Up Next: 2020 Senior Day At The OSU Ice Rink; Face-Off @ 3:07PM. But Come A Little Early To Honor Your Buckeye Seniors!
                          Last edited by pgb-ohio; 02-22-2020, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Has Muzz actually gone a bit soft? Giving the Sr #2 as much playing time as it took - over two games - until #2 could get her first career goal?

Classy, cool move. 👏👏

Comment

• Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                              Has Muzz actually gone a bit soft? Giving the Sr #2 as much playing time as it took - over two games - until #2 could get her first career goal?

Classy, cool move. 👏👏
                              I am extremely soft myself, and teared up watching that video, hahah. What a nice story and good for Elise.

Comment

If you were at the Ice Rink today, I'm guessing you'll never forget the moment Elise scored. I know I won't.

I'll have a bit more to say about it in the next edition of the Three Stars.
                                Last edited by pgb-ohio; 02-22-2020, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X