• Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Stitch it on a pillow. Truer words ....
    It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      The PairWise is a never-ending font of unhappiness.
      PairWise angst is for losers. Just win baby.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        PairWise angst is for losers. Just win baby.
        A dumb question for the experts out there but I'll ask it anyway. Am I correct the National Tournament teams are determined by just autobids and the Pairwise? In other words, are the rankings immaterial when deciding the teams?

And realistically, this year what's the lowest you can be in the Pairwise and get in to the tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
          A dumb question for the experts out there but I'll ask it anyway. Am I correct the National Tournament teams are determined by just autobids and the Pairwise? In other words, are the rankings immaterial when deciding the teams?

And realistically, this year what's the lowest you can be in the Pairwise and get in to the tournament?
          Though I imagine there are some 'fudge factor' statements in the 'rules' to give them some leeway, what you say here is my understanding: Autobids for the four conference tournament winners, and then the next four team as ranking in the Pairwise. So, without any upsets in the tournaments, the top seven in the current Pairwise, and (because none of the CHA teams are in the top eight of the Pairwise) the CHA winner.

From the point of view of Ohio State (currently, at least), a #6 in the Pairwise means they would still make the NCAAs even with one tournament upset; that upset would knock out whoever is at #7.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
            Though I imagine there are some 'fudge factor' statements in the 'rules' to give them some leeway, what you say here is my understanding: Autobids for the four conference tournament winners, and then the next four team as ranking in the Pairwise. So, without any upsets in the tournaments, the top seven in the current Pairwise, and (because none of the CHA teams are in the top eight of the Pairwise) the CHA winner.

From the point of view of Ohio State (currently, at least), a #6 in the Pairwise means they would still make the NCAAs even with one tournament upset; that upset would knock out whoever is at #7.
            Thanks!

Comment

it looks like their pairwise will be going up

so I am wondering, since it was said that Gabby Rosenthal played well against the Gophers because she was mad at not being recruited there, was she also mad today about not being recruited by Wisconsin? Maybe this belongs in the Gopher thread but I'm sure ARM et. al. will not miss this (although it'll be easier to ignore here)

I'm thinking this line of reasoning is no longer a valid excuse when you get your butt kicked. When you lose, it's because you didn't play well enough to win.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                so I am wondering, since it was said that Gabby Rosenthal played well against the Gophers because she was mad at not being recruited there, was she also mad today about not being recruited by Wisconsin? Maybe this belongs in the Gopher thread but I'm sure ARM et. al. will not miss this (although it'll be easier to ignore here)
                If she was especially fired up, it's probably because Abby Roque ran her head first into the boards.

Comment

The Buckeyes played hard today. After taking a 3-0 lead, they mustered very little offense, only 3 shots in the third period, and probably only about 6-7 in the second after the major penalty to Roque expired. But they didn't let Wisconsin get loose in front of Brändli, and smothered Wisconsin's attempts to pass out from behind the net. On the one hand, they were fortunate to get a 5 minute power play (as I've said elsewhere, I think it was the right call, but I'm not sure the refs would have made it without going to replay), but give them credit, because they really took advantage of it, helped by some very lackadaisical penalty killing by the Badgers. After that, they seemed to decide that they'd already scored the winning goal and just wanted to make sure it held up. They strangled Wisconsin's offense for the whole third period.

Jincy Dunne had a monster game that went well beyond the two assists. She didn't get caught up ice, like I've seen her do before, and she wouldn't let Badger forwards turn the corner in transition.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                    Jincy Dunne had a monster game that went well beyond the two assists. She didn't get caught up ice, like I've seen her do before, and she wouldn't let Badger forwards turn the corner in transition.
                    What I've noticed as much as anything is that she always seems to make the right play. Great hockey sense! More often than not, her passes are right on the tape of her open teammate. Much of that has to do with pre-positioning herself so her passes have little-to-no chance of being intercepted. And when on the point she'll make a little quick move and get her shot through, often creating rebounds.

She's a real joy to watch, and the Buckeyes are very fortunate to have her.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

The TV view wasn't the best and I didn't get home in time to see the call against Wisconsin for the 5 min major but I have to say I sure didn't see a 5 min plus misconduct in the call against Ohio State in what I could make out. Wish the center ice cameraman would zoom in once in awhile!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                        The TV view wasn't the best ... Wish the center ice cameraman would zoom in once in awhile!
                        Have you ever watched what OSU calls TV coverage for their home games? By far the worst in the WCHA. I realize you might always be at the games in person and so may never have seen it, but UW broadcasts are quantum levels better. Minn's may be better than that.
                        Last edited by robertearle; 02-15-2020, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Ohio State takes game one in Madison by a final score of 3-1. It was Ohio State's first-ever win at LaBahn Arena. All four goals scored in this one were power play goals and all were scored in the second period. The first period was scoreless. The Bucks got a five-minute power play late in the first period that carried over into the second and they took advantage of it, getting three goals from Tatum Skaggs, Sophie Jaques, and Gabby Rosenthal. Abby Roque lit the lamp for the Badgers later in the second period to bring the Badgers to within 3-1. Neither team scored in the third period although late in the period, Ohio State's Lisa Bruno was whistled for a five-minute penalty. Wisconsin pulled goaltender Kristen Campbell to give them a 6-on-4 advantage, but they could not score on the Buckeyes and that is how it ended. Wisconsin outshot Ohio State 37-20. Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli stood tall, stopping 36 of the 37 shots she faced to get the win. Badger goaltender Kristen Campbell saved 17 of the 20 shots she faced. The two teams are back at it tomorrow with game time at 3:07 pm EST.

Comment

Have you ever watched what OSU calls TV coverage for their home games?
                            Can't say I have but no reason to doubt you. I do know the camera's they have there are quite small compared to what I see at the Blue Jackets arena so I would naturally assume the quality matches the size.
                            That being said I just wish I could have seen the call better on the major against OSU. I didn't think it warranted that penalty but just couldn't see all the detail so my professional Laz E Boy refereeing would be flawless as always!

Comment

For Sunday's game Wisconsin I assume will want to come out strong and try to take charge of the game early.
                              If OSU can get the sweep and sweep next weekend at home to close out the regular season what do you think our chances are of getting up to #4 in the pairwise?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                                Can't say I have but no reason to doubt you. I do know the camera's they have there are quite small compared to what I see at the Blue Jackets arena so I would naturally assume the quality matches the size.
                                That being said I just wish I could have seen the call better on the major against OSU. I didn't think it warranted that penalty but just couldn't see all the detail so my professional Laz E Boy refereeing would be flawless as always!
                                I know Eeyore thought the call against Roque was worth five minutes. I was sitting more-or-less 'under' the camera position - even with the blue line towards the end where it happened (and I looked at the video replay here at home). It was probably worth a two minute, but IMO it lacked any sort of 'follow-through' force to warrant a five. And considering all they had let go up to that point.... The five against OSU was at the other end of the ice from me and closer to the 'near' corner, where my view is not great, so I have no particular opinion on it.

(The guy who made the call against Roque, Bradshaw, is in my book the flat-out worst ref in the WCHA. I had not seen him doing a game or seen his name in a box score all year, so I had assumed - hoped - they had fired him after last year. Sadly, there he was today. And there he'll be tomorrow...)

Comment

Working...
                                X