Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
    And you do realize the Wild will be hosting the outdoor NHL Winter Classic at Target Field next season right? And the game will likely be sold out.
    yes, but when will they play outdoors again, if ever for HDM?
    sold out like the MN-OSU game at "The Bank" you could buy tickets on game day for $5

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
      Only Muzz could rain on what has become a great hockey event for all involved by saying she never wants to play in another Hockey Day outdoor game. Yeah, you lost. Show some class and think about how cool it was for at least your MN players to participate in. If OSU had won her comments on the event likely would have been different.
      I'm not sure it was because her team lost. She definitely didn't plan for that wind when she packed her wardrobe, and she looked like she was freezing. Plus, that was a totally different type of hockey. The puck didn't slide well on the surface and would pop into the air and start bouncing. Players with time would go to clear the puck and semi whiff all of the time. I'm not sure that what I watched is any more akin to the usual hockey than a shootout is. I'd be fine if the outdoor events were confined to exhibitions, given how widely the conditions can vary.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
        Quick question - Braendliis helmet looked like it had a city skyline painted on it. Anyone know what city or more details of the mask?
        Haven't noticed. Maybe Zurich?

I'll take a peek next weekend & report back if I learn anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
          I

And based on the rest of your post, I don't think our opinions are that far apart - especially given that yours are filtered through being a huge Buckeye fan and great supporter of the program. Your passion for the Buckeyes is admirable and your passion for the team is part of what makes these forum conversations so enjoyable!
          Thanks offsides. This thread is certainly a good one, and it’s not a bad exercise to hear another’s perspective now again I suppose.

I bleed blue and green for Mercyhurst, they’ll always be my number one, but as an Ohio transplant who cares about girls and women’s hockey in Ohio I certainly enjoy cheering on the Buckeyes too.

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
            Haven't noticed. Maybe Zurich?

I'll take a peek next weekend & report back if I learn anything.
            Thanks. Zurich would make sense, but with the European born CBJ goalie (Elvis or Jonas - I forget who) who has Columbus on his pads I was wondering if that’s a thing down there!

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
              Even beyond the brutal cold they are not fun games to watch or play. The players skate slower, the puck moves slower. The men’s game at US Bank between the Gophers and Buckeyes a few years back is a perfect example. BORING! The Gophers scored an early goal then it was about 45 minutes of watching two teams dump the puck and unable to pursue it (or in the Gophers case, unwilling). They sat on their one goal lead and there was nothing OSU was able to do.
              Imagine playing a frozen 4 on a crappy outdoor rink?! What a joke. Outdoor games that count in the standings should just go away.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                I'd be fine if the outdoor events were confined to exhibitions, given how widely the conditions can vary.
                Agree 100%. This game could have just as easily been played on slush if we had been in the middle of a "January thaw" which isn't that unusual, especially here in the southern part of the State.

I still don't know why they didn't go with their "Plan B" which would have moved this game to the nearby indoor Parade facility (where they play the high school Section 6 playoff games). The Buckeyes and Gophers did not have the benefit of a "warming" afternoon sun like the high school teams had - the time of day (or in their case, night) makes a difference.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I would assume that someday the Blue Jackets will host an outdoor game either in the Horseshoe or the new Crew stadium after it's built and that possibly both OSU's men and women's teams will be mandated by the school to play in a respective game that weekend and over any possible objections by the coaches.

Comment

The Buckeyes took tonight's game vs a feisty Quinnipiac team by a final score of 2-1. Give the Bobcats credit for hanging in there despite being outshot 41-13 by the Buckeyes tonight. Ohio State opened the scoring in the first period on a goal from Sara Saekkinen and the teams went into the first intermission with the Buckeyes leading 1-0. Ohio State's Gabby Rosenthal scored what turned out to be the game-winner in the second period to put the Bucks up 2-0. Quinnipiac's Brooke Bonsteel would answer later in the second period to cut the lead in half and the teams went into the second intermission with Ohio State clinging to a 2-1 lead. Neither team could light the lamp in the third period and that is how it ended. Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli stopped 12 of the 13 shots she faced. Bobcat goaltender Abbie Ives stopped 39 of the 41 shots she faced. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 3:07 pm EST.

Comment

Final Score From Friday, January 24th
                      Ohio State 2
                      Quinnipiac 1

Greasy Spoon Night At The OSU Rink

You know you should be eating healthier. Fresh produce. Lean cuts of meat. For a little treat, maybe a Maltais Latte.

But sometimes you need to break down and have that double cheeseburger and those greasy fries. And the malt? Make sure it’s custard. You know, to maximize the fat content.

Hockey can be like that. Sometimes you get those picture perfect, gourmet goals. Others times you gotta have those gritty, greasy goals to make a full meal of it.

Friday’s game was the latter.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Quinnipiac Honorable Mention: Abbie Ives
                      Thanks to the stingy Bobcat defense, a majority of the Buckeye shots came from the outside. Still, Abbie had to be pretty strong in the net to hold the Buckeyes to a pair of goals. Very solid performance; 39 Saves on 41 Shots.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Sophie Jaques
                      At the same time, the Buckeye defense didn’t allow many shots to even get to the net. As a team, Ohio State had 14 Shot Blocks for the game. In comparison, Goalkeeper Andrea Braendli had only 12 Saves for the contest! Sophie led all skaters with 4 Blocks.

#3 Star: Sara Saekkinen, Ohio State
                      On to those greasy goals. The first came on a goal mouth scramble. Lisa Bruno put a stiff shot on net. The puck stayed loose near the goal line, and the scramble was on. Sara got there first. It wasn’t easy; but eventually the puck went off Sara and made it over the line.

#2 Star: Brooke Bonsteel, Quinnipiac
                      At 5’10”, Brooke is a big, strong player. Tough to get off the puck. She’s also smart and skilled. Working with a feed from linemate Laura Lundblad, Bonsteel zipped a wicked little blast into a lower corner of the Buckeye net, a few inches off the ice. Actually the prettiest goal of the evening. Despite the Bobcat defeat, both Brooke & Laura were +1 for the night.

#1 Star: Gabby Rosenthal, Ohio State
                      Gabby’s goal turned out to be the game-winner. Rosenthal & linemate Jenn Gardiner struggled mightily to gain possession below the goal line. They did. Gabby emerged with the puck, and with a wrap-around shot bagged the decisive tally.

Up Next:The next meal will be served at 3:07PM on Saturday. Another trip to the Greasy Spoon?
                      Last edited by pgb-ohio; 01-28-2020, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Sorry about the publication delay on Friday's Stars. Over the last couple of days I've had lots of problems logging on to the Forum, and staying logged onto to the Forum. Evidently I'm not alone.

The ironic thing is, this edition of the 3 Stars was actually written on time, meaning Friday night. Saved as a Word document. But here we are on Saturday night, the first time I've actually been able to save anything on the thread for a couple of days.

Whatever's going on, hope it's fully resolved soon.

Comment

Pgb, I had trouble logging on and getting my little paragraph posted last night as well. Seems like things are cleared up now. Onto today's game ... the Buckeyes completed the sweep today, but the Bobcats made them earn it. Ohio State opened the scoring in the first period on a goal from Madison Bizal. Later in the first period, Quinnipiac would answer and tie it when Laura Lundblad lit the lamp, and the teams went into the first intermission tied at 1. Ohio State's Teghan Inglis would get the only goal of the second period to put the Buckeyes ahead 2-1 heading into the final period. Ohio State's Rebecca Freiburger lit the lamp early in the third period to put the Bucks up 3-1. Quinnipiac would answer on a PP goal from Taylor Girard to cut the lead to 3-2, and that is how it ended. Ohio State outshot Quinnipiac 31-20 in this one with Buckeye backstop Andrea Braendli stopping 18 of the 20 shots she faced. Bobcat netminder Abbie Ives stopped 28 of the 31 shots she faced. Ohio State will return to WCHA action next weekend as they host Bemidji State for a pair of games. Quinnpiac will return home to face Princeton in a Tuesday night game before going on the road to face Brown and Yale next weekend.

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, January 25th
                            Ohio State 3
                            Quinnipiac 2

Greasy Gives Way To Gourmet; Buckeyes Complete Sweep

In some respects, the two Quinnipiac games were quite similar. Good work ethic by both teams on both nights. Two close, tightly contested matches. Once again, quality scoring chances were tough to come by.

But no greasy goals this time. Instead, when those infrequent scoring chances arose, both teams put their sharp shooting skills on display. The Saturday Stars are the five successful shooters.

OK, a goal's a goal. They all count the same. But sometimes good presentation pleases the palate.

Quinnipiac Honorable Mention: Taylor Girard
                            Taylor scored the game’s final goal with a nifty tip of a Courtney Vorster shot, reducing the OSU lead to one. Ultimately Quinnipiac couldn’t produce the equalizer. But that didn’t make Girard’s fine tip any less impressive. And from a Buckeye perspective, it made the last 10 minutes of the game a little too interesting.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Madison Bizal
                            Let’s circle back to the early part of the game. The first goal played out this way: Confident cross-ice breakout pass from Lisa Bruno to Emma Maltais. Smart one-touch hand-off to Madison. Bizal carried the puck into the Q zone. From there, she directed a laser beam shot into the upper right hand corner of the net, past the startled Bobcat keeper. The Buckeyes were off to a fine start.

#3 Star: Laura Lundblad, Quinnipiac
                            As the first period was winding down, the Buckeyes were cruising along comfortably. Maybe a little too comfortably. Then, in the last minute of the period, along came Laura. With a spectacular individual effort, Lundblad stole the pick in the neutral zone, and left a couple of defenders flat-footed on her way to the Buckeye net. She wasn’t to be denied on the shot either; no one was stopping Laura on that rush. We went into the first intermission tied.

#2 Star: Rebecca Freiburger, Ohio State
                            The score remained tied for another 14 minutes of hockey time. Rebecca had the primary assist on the goal that broke the deadlock. More on that one in a moment.

Skipping ahead to the third OSU goal: Paetyn Levis and Madison Bizal sent Freiburger on her way up the right wing. With a straight line charge, her shot came from a right wing position. It may not have been an ideal angle, but the shot was sneaky good. At the time, it was an insurance goal. Ultimately it was the GWG. The play got Paetyn on the scoresheet, and completed 2 point nights for Rebecca & Madison.

#1 Star: Teghan Inglis, Ohio State
                            In my mind, the tie-breaking goal was the key moment of the game. While Freiburger and Sara Saekinnen worked the perimeter, Inglis moved forward and found a small open space in the slot. The opening wasn’t going to last long, but Rebecca’s pass arrived right on time. From there, the puck exploded off Teghan’s stick, going over the keeper’s right shoulder, finding some metal, then continuing on into the net.

Takeaways from the weekend? Quinnipiac has a very good team; a squad that puts lots of pressure on their opponents. In fact, they’re all about takeaways. And defensively, they largely shut down Ohio State’s brand name Stars.

In response, the Buckeyes stepped up as a team, and cooked up a storm. Scoring punch came from the defense, plus the 2nd & 3rd Lines. If that continues, more good meals lie ahead.

Up Next: Another Challenge For The Buckeye Offense. Stingy Bemidji Comes To Town For A WCHA Series.

Comment

The Buckeyes came out earlier tonight and dominated a good Bemidji team by a final score of 7-2. The Buckeyes scored the first five goals of the game and never looked back in this one. Ohio State's top-liners opened the scoring with goals from Liz Schepers and Emma Maltais to take a 2-0 lead into the first intermission. If there was any doubt about this one, the Bucks put it away with three goals in the second period from Sophie Jaques, Gabby Rosenthal, and Brooke Bink to take a 5-0 lead into the second intermission. The Beavers struck first in the final frame on a goal from Lydia Passolt to get on the board. Ohio State answered as Gabby Rosenthal scored her second goal of the night to make it 6-1 Ohio State. Bucks got another goal from Paetyn Levis to make it 7-1. Bemidji closed out the scoring when Lydia Passolt scored her second goal of the night to make it 7-2 in favor of Ohio State and that is how it ended. Ohio State outshot Bemidji 41-24 with Lynsey Wallace stopping 17 of the 18 shots she faced. She was relieved late in the third period by Quinn Kuntz who saved 5 of the 6 shots she faced. Bemidji State also used two different goaltenders on this night. Lauren Bench stopped 21 of the 25 shots she faced. She was relieved in the middle of the second period by Kerigan Dowhy, who stopped 13 of the 16 shots she faced. The two teams will conclude their season series tomorrow with game time at 3:07 pm EST.

Comment

Final Score From Friday, January 31st
                                Ohio State 7
                                Bemidji State 2

Buckeyes Break Through Beaver Dam; Cruise To Victory

For the first 18 minutes, we got the game I expected. Buckeyes on the attack; but the Beavers largely holding back the Buckeye offensive flow. Bemidji's defenses seemed to be well-constructed, as usual. But once OSU's offense broke through, the current was relentless. The goals came in a cascade.

Perhaps regrettably, a goalie miscue set the tone for rest of the game. A few seconds after the initial tally, the Bemidji keeper decided to take a Walk on the Wild Side. Chasing after a loose puck, she wound up halfway to the blue line, and most of the way to the left wing boards. You know what's coming next: The resulting turnover wound up in the back of the Beaver net. Score: 2-0. Buckeyes energized; Beavers demoralized. The rout was on.

#3 Star: Lydia Passolt, Bemidji State
                                In fairness, at least one Bemidji player wasn't demoralized. Lydia both opened and closed third period scoring. OK, the game was essentially over at the end of the second period. But the quickness, talent and just plain hard work displayed by Passolt on both goals demands a Star.

#2 Star: Gabby Rosenthal, Ohio State
                                Gabby had another multi-point night that's impossible to ignore. 2 goals, 1 assist this time. Rosenthal's second half production has been a breakthrough of its own. Keep it going, Gabby!

#1 Star: The Ohio State Starting Line-Up
                                Secondary scoring has been January's top storyline. But tonight the Starters were top difference makers. We'll start with the goaltending, and work our way forward.

Appropriately enough, Lynsey Wallace got a start on Military Appreciation Weekend. We definitely appreciated Lynsey's performance. Whatever 17 saves lacks in quantity, Wallace made up for in quality. Lynsey snuffed out a potential game-changing moment when she stuffed a Beaver breakaway. Beyond that, she had at least two spectacular sliding saves.

The starting 'D' pair certainly contributed to the offensive onslaught. 1 goal, 1 assist for Sophie Jaques; 2 assists for Jincy Dunne. +3 for both players on the night.

On to the forwards. The first scoring play started with an offensive zone face-off in the right wing circle. Draw won cleanly by Emma Maltais, back to Liz Schepers at the top of the circle. Liz delivered a perfectly placed shot to the lower left hand corner of the Bemidji net.

Now, about that Walk on the Wild Side. It was Tatum Skaggs who intercepted the goalie's ill-advised pass. When Tatum's possession was contested, she sent the puck on to Emma, who efficiently finished the job.

The rest of the game was a full team effort, building on the foundation laid by the starting skaters at the end of the 1st Period.

Up Next: Saturday's Rematch @ 3:07PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X