This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

To be fair, there were a number of good found footage films. I loved cloverfield. Certainly better than Blair Witch.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      To be fair, there were a number of good found footage films. I loved cloverfield. Certainly better than Blair Witch.
      I haven't seen Cloverfield, loved the first Blair. If you've ever been camping in the middle of nowhere, you fully understand those "cheesy" noises.

And from all accounts, Hollywood ruined Blair 2. I have no desire to see that. Also see: Paranormal Activity. The first one was good, then nah, notsomuch.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        I reviewed it positively but I fear Hollywood will take the wrong message from the positive buzz surrounding the film (92% critics/88% audience) and green light a bunch of movies that reproduce the gimmick. The movie was a success because it had a good story performed by a good cast and happened to have the gimmick of the entire narrative being told by webcams, CCTV, news footage etc. It was not a success because of the gimmick. Hopefully Hollywood learns the correct lesson...
        Yeah right. Disney probably already has 12 of them in the pipeline. Creativity is dead.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          Yeah right. Disney probably already has 12 of them in the pipeline. Creativity is dead.
          Unless you go indie on the various streaming/etc platforms. As for theaters? I agree, good luck.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
            lololololol

Remember "Blair Witch"?
            I said hopefully.

And I would say Blair Witch is the exact opposite of Searching. TBWP succeeded because of the gimmick (and the best marketing campaign since Psycho) but the story was pretty thin. As a result it doesn't hold up very well.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              I said hopefully.

And I would say Blair Witch is the exact opposite of Searching. TBWP succeeded because of the gimmick (and the best marketing campaign since Psycho) but the story was pretty thin. As a result it doesn't hold up very well.
              That's what I felt about Searching. That ending would totally be Lifetime Channel/Hallmark, but the way they told it changed the dynamic. Huge kudos to that.

Comment

I really enjoyed Blair Witch in the theater. It was a collective experience; the whole crowd was caught up and freaked out and it was really fun watching as a group.

But I tried a re-watch in my living room and it is unwatchably bad in that environment.

Blair Witch was nearly like a live theater performance in how it worked. That's a big compliment. They done good; they did something original.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  I really enjoyed Blair Witch in the theater. It was a collective experience; the whole crowd was caught up and freaked out and it was really fun watching as a group.

But I tried a re-watch in my living room and it is unwatchably bad in that environment.

Blair Witch was nearly like a live theater performance in how it worked. That's a big compliment. They done good; they did something original.
                  I didn't see it in a theater. I purposely watched it alone in the dark. All lights off, surround sound, loved it. It put me in their environment, so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    I loved cloverfield..
                    mookie liked the original, but has stayed clear of the followups. are they worth a go?
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                      Searching:

Daughter goes missing, dad figures out to use her computer for clues to her disappearance, while working with police.

A bit Lifetime-y at the end, but that's no matter. The entire movie is told through the eyes of modern devices: laptops, smartphones, CCTV, hidden cameras, all that. There is no "true" live-action. I thought that aspect was very well done, and very creative. Worth a watch just for that aspect.
                      if there is no Liam, then there is no movie....
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        mookie liked the original, but has stayed clear of the followups. are they worth a go?
                        Cloverfield Lane is good. Very good.

The space one is a total mess.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

if there is no Liam, then there is no movie....
                          While normally I would agree.....

Comment

They’re ok. I didn’t think the space one was as bad as everyone else, but it wasn’t very good. The second one was decent.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Blair Witch in the theater was fine from the creepiness factor, but what killed the movie experience for me was the endless arguing between the three leads. They couldn't come up with any other dialogue besides them biotching at each other?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                Blair Witch in the theater was fine from the creepiness factor, but what killed the movie experience for me was the endless arguing between the three leads. They couldn't come up with any other dialogue besides them biotching at each other?
                                "Fck! You lost the fcking map! By the fcking lake! In the fcking woods! Fck you!"

"Will you two m'fers shut the fck up?!?!"

Blair Witch was cool when you were 14 and it was the first movie full of f-bombs that you saw.

Comment

Working...
                                X