• Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

I'm onboard with both of those.
    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
      Make it happen.

Why do I want to whistle the Old Spice jingle after seeing this.
      Last edited by Bigus Paulus; 07-07-2019, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Why does Ariel's dad have to be black, too? How does mermaid genetics work?
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Why does Ariel's dad have to be black, too? How does mermaid genetics work?
          Dad or mom.....

Or is color like gender and does weird chit?
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            Dad or mom.....

Or is color like gender and does weird chit?
            It's a cartoon, my friend. There are no rules. The phenotype is the artist's imagination. It's like religion. Or law.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Wait

That’s not real???

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                Wait

That’s not real???
                Of course it's real. You and I can conceive of it independently of each other, ergo it is "real." Like beauty, clean coal, or god's love.
                Cornell University

Comment

Spider Man: Far From Home. This movie was far from amaze-balls, but I'm glad I saw it in the theater and the 2nd half was infinitely better than the 1st. I had no idea who Mysterio was or anything about the plot but even I saw his turn coming. But on the whole it was entertaining and whenever it ends up on cable I'll watch it again.

Comment

On the Ariel thing...it kind of threw me for a loop too when the casting was announced. I mean it isnt the end of the world or anything but if a month ago anyone asked you who did you think would be cast would any of you have said this person? No you would have thought a pale Redhead would be cast (or blonde if you go back to the original I believe) because that is who Ariel is in most of our heads.

It doesnt warrant much more than a shrugging of the shoulders, but for now it does seem like a bit of a bizarre casting. By the time the film comes out though not so much. If she is good in the part it wont make a lick of difference. To the kids it wont matter at all.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I think it's "bizarre" to the degree you think whiteness is important to the character. Older people are going to be hung up on the race. As you say, kids won't give a single f-ck.

IMHO racism has gone through two successive phases:

Racism 1.0: the races are ordered

Racism 2.0: the races are separate but equal

Post-racism is when people just don't give a sh-t at all. Think eye color or hair color. I think my daughter is there; her kids will certainly be there. See also: religion, sexuality, gender itself. Good riddance.
                      Cornell University

Comment

I went to see Spider-Man at the Vali-Hi drive-in theater Saturday night. Spider-Man was fun, but the more remarkable thing to me was the drive-in.

My buddies and I have been going there since we were in high school back in the 90s, and it's amazing how much that place has both changed and stayed the same. They've added extra Biffy toilets, and a few new things to their concessions stand, and then they had to upgrade to a DLP projector due to industry requirements. Other than that, the place is identical to what it had been some 25 years ago.

The thing that most made an impact on me was how quickly the place fills up now. And people are coming prepared. It's no longer just lawn chairs and small grills, people where traveling with their big grills, inflatable beds, inflatable couches, etc., and various games. It was a full on party for a few hours before the move started, just a couple minutes after dusk. I think part of it is that almost all other theaters like that have closed around here, but they're still going strong. I recommend it to anybody with kids to do it at least once, or even just as a date like I did this weekend.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          I went to see Spider-Man at the Vali-Hi drive-in theater Saturday night. Spider-Man was fun, but the more remarkable thing to me was the drive-in.

My buddies and I have been going there since we were in high school back in the 90s, and it's amazing how much that place has both changed and stayed the same. They've added extra Biffy toilets, and a few new things to their concessions stand, and then they had to upgrade to a DLP projector due to industry requirements. Other than that, the place is identical to what it had been some 25 years ago.

The thing that most made an impact on me was how quickly the place fills up now. And people are coming prepared. It's no longer just lawn chairs and small grills, people where traveling with their big grills, inflatable beds, inflatable couches, etc., and various games. It was a full on party for a few hours before the move started, just a couple minutes after dusk. I think part of it is that almost all other theaters like that have closed around here, but they're still going strong. I recommend it to anybody with kids to do it at least once, or even just as a date like I did this weekend.
                          Wow I didnt even know that place was still around. Very cool

Kepler,

I dont think the whiteness is important, but until now it kind of was part of the character. (like the Red Hair was once Disney made it) I dont think it really matters but I dont think it makes anyone racist to kind of go "huh, really?". (which is lightyears different than the Incel reaction) I mean they did that when Will Smith was cast as the Genie in Alladin and not cause he is Black but because the part is identified with Robin Williams.

For the record it ranks about a 2 on my "Givesaphuck Meter" and I literally didnt care post just going "huh really?!". All I had to do was go back to being a kid when my sister watched that stupid movie every day for a summer and change one thing and the film was still the same. After that I didnt think about it again really. My GF had the same reaction I did and she is way more culturally sensitive than I am
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

That place is a twin cities treasure. Love tailgating there and watching movies.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              Wow I didnt even know that place was still around. Very cool

Kepler,

I dont think the whiteness is important, but until now it kind of was part of the character. (like the Red Hair was once Disney made it) I dont think it really matters but I dont think it makes anyone racist to kind of go "huh, really?". (which is lightyears different than the Incel reaction) I mean they did that when Will Smith was cast as the Genie in Alladin and not cause he is Black but because the part is identified with Robin Williams.

For the record it ranks about a 2 on my "Givesaphuck Meter" and I literally didnt care post just going "huh really?!". All I had to do was go back to being a kid when my sister watched that stupid movie every day for a summer and change one thing and the film was still the same. After that I didnt think about it again really. My GF had the same reaction I did and she is way more culturally sensitive than I am
                              well...
                              1) it is a make believe character
                              2) and b, it is a make believe thing. mermaids don't exist.

this is not like a colored dude being cast as abraham lincoln or a brown girl getting the role of jesus ().

are we saying that white schools can't perform 'west side story' cause these are supposed to be puerto ricans? hmmm?

Comment

I dont think you actually read what I posted.

Wouldnt you say high schools are a little different than Hollywood? Terrible analogy.

My reaction to this is no different than when Hollywood "White Washes" a character or casts Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. So am I racist against White People and Biased against Short Cultists as well?
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X