This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

Yeah they tried to hard to find reasons for everything happening instead of just letting it happen. No one cares about the family drama or the "bad guy" they just want to see King Ghidora fight Godzilla while Mothra and Rodan are flying around beating each other! I get you paid these people money for some reason to be in the film but no one is seeing the film to watch Millie Bobby Brown pretend she has range while Kyle Chandler is angry/not angry/mean/nice/whatever emotion is coming next.

No one is seeing Godzilla for the people (except the ones trampled obviously) they are there to see the Titans go at it!
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Dumplin’ — fantastic. Just loved it
      Holmes and Watson - awful
      A Star is born - very, very good.
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        Dumplin’ — fantastic. Just loved it
        Holmes and Watson - awful
        A Star is born - very, very good.
        1. Agreed. Wonderful.
        2. I knew better than to actual sit down and watch it.
        3. No interest.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Was at the theater watching Game 5 tonight and a waiter complained that he had such a small crowd for Dark Phoenix. There were more people at Aladdin. Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            Was at the theater watching Game 5 tonight and a waiter complained that he had such a small crowd for Dark Phoenix. There were more people at Aladdin. Ouch.
            Dark Phoenix had little chance especially after how bad Apocalypse did. Add in the delays, plus everyone knowing it doesnt even matter because Disney wants their own X-Men franchise now that the merger happened and this film was never going to do much even if it didnt bomb out with critics.

I still plan to see it though.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              Dark Phoenix had little chance especially after how bad Apocalypse did. ...plus everyone knowing it doesnt even matter because Disney wants their own X-Men franchise...
              I am clueless on all of this, but why would the latter part matter to the majority of those (like me) that buy tickets to this type of movie that don't care or even know about such things? I thought the trailer for this looked decent enough to merit a trip to the theater and I couldn't care less what Disney is going to do with XMEN in the future. Not trying to sound snarky but rather it's over my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                I am clueless on all of this, but why would the latter part matter to the majority of those (like me) that buy tickets to this type of movie that don't care or even know about such things? I thought the trailer for this looked decent enough to merit a trip to the theater and I couldn't care less what Disney is going to do with XMEN in the future. Not trying to sound snarky but rather it's over my head.
                People like you who just go to a movie, munch popcorn, and enjoy yourself for two hours while not thinking about continuity are sub-human

In reality, unless you've been living under a rock, you know about the Disney/Fox merger. You know that it will have repercussions on the Fox side. And given that this is one of the largest cash cow's on that side of the fence, you know there will be changes going forward....
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot
                  I got all that. But why should that make me not want to see this movie? I get what you're saying about continuity but whatever happens down the line isn't going to impact my "stand on its own" experience in viewing Dark Phoenix.

Surely Disney isn't going to stop making movies from the SW universe (perhaps this is a bad analogy) and even though I didn't really care for 7 nor 8 I am going to see 9 without question.
                  Depends.

I stopped going to X-Men movies after X-Men: The Last Stand cause it was so horrible. Want(ed) to see this one cause it's one of my favorite storylines but what I've heard is not good.

I may pass again.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                    People like you who just go to a movie, munch popcorn, and enjoy yourself for two hours while not thinking about continuity are sub-human

In reality, unless you've been living under a rock, you know about the Disney/Fox merger. You know that it will have repercussions on the Fox side. And given that this is one of the largest cash cow's on that side of the fence, you know there will be changes going forward....
                    I got all that but as someone who is not vested in the franchise why should this merger make me not want to see Dark Phoenix? Whatever happens down the line I couldn't give a rip about and I imagine there's a lot more out there like me. If DP is doing poorly right now I suspect it has more to do with competition, reviews and poorly received trailers.

Surely Disney isn't going to stop making movies from the SW universe (perhaps this is a bad analogy) and even though I didn't really care for 7 nor 8 I am going to see 9 without question.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      I got all that but as someone who is not vested in the franchise why should this merger make me not want to see Dark Phoenix? Whatever happens down the line I couldn't give a rip about and I imagine there's a lot more out there like me. If DP is doing poorly right now I suspect it has more to do with competition, reviews and poorly received trailers.

Because these versions of the characters are done. They even put out a video thanking the fans. What came before is done as well.

Normally I agree with you but this is a much bigger deal. This is like X-Men: First Class only this time there will be no flip flopping on the decision and shoehorning the old continuity back in. (like they did with Days of Future's Past...which was awesome) Disney wants to start from scratch...and they havent even been quiet about it the reviews even discuss it. If they had quit after DOFP most likely they cross this cast over and go from there but with Apocalypse underperforming badly and this one being a critical and monetary disaster there is no point.

The Star Wars analogy doesnt work because Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher are still Luke, Han and Leia. If Disney tomorrow said "After Episode 9 we are rebooting everything and starting over with a new Han, Leia and Luke) then the analogy holds.

That doesnt mean the new X-Men will suck (though they will be rather formulaic ) but it means that Dark Phoenix had two strikes against it anyways. Coming off an unpopular sequel with a lame duck cast and the most popular character (Wolverine) not involved. That just is never going to work.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Coming off an unpopular sequel with a lame duck cast and the most popular character (Wolverine) not involved. That just is never going to work.
                        Not why I hate most of the films but I've always hated Wolverine. Such a boring character by marvel standards.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          Not why I hate most of the films but I've always hated Wolverine. Such a boring character by marvel standards.
                          Well I cant speak to that...he always ranks in the top 2 or 3 in popularity though. It is usually some combo of him, Batman and Spiderman. Those three are so overexposed it isnt even funny.
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Well I cant speak to that...he always ranks in the top 2 or 3 in popularity though. It is usually some combo of him, Batman and Spiderman. Those three are so overexposed it isnt even funny.
                            Yeah, I know he's popular. I've always hated him. Just a personal thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              Yeah, I know he's popular. I've always hated him. Just a personal thing.
                              Jackman's Wolverine is really easy to hate. He's got no depth or character, it's just cliches piled on top of each other and adolescent male profundity.

I did like the last movie, though, and it reversed a lot of the crappiness of the other ones. It didn't help the character that those other movies blew.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Because these versions of the characters are done. They even put out a video thanking the fans. What came before is done as well.

Normally I agree with you but this is a much bigger deal. This is like X-Men: First Class only this time there will be no flip flopping on the decision and shoehorning the old continuity back in. (like they did with Days of Future's Past...which was awesome) Disney wants to start from scratch...and they havent even been quiet about it the reviews even discuss it. If they had quit after DOFP most likely they cross this cast over and go from there but with Apocalypse underperforming badly and this one being a critical and monetary disaster there is no point.

The Star Wars analogy doesnt work because Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher are still Luke, Han and Leia. If Disney tomorrow said "After Episode 9 we are rebooting everything and starting over with a new Han, Leia and Luke) then the analogy holds.

That doesnt mean the new X-Men will suck (though they will be rather formulaic ) but it means that Dark Phoenix had two strikes against it anyways. Coming off an unpopular sequel with a lame duck cast and the most popular character (Wolverine) not involved. That just is never going to work.
                                Right on - this makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X