X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Speaking as someone who likes all the Terminator films in some capacity (and obviously to various levels) this looks good. I think people need to calm down about how this looks so much better than the other films based on this trailer...it looks exactly like them outside of having Hamilton in it and Cameron listed as producer.

I am in for it.
    I will not CALM DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

At least they didn't have Linda use the line, "Come with me if you want to live!" when she stepped out of the SUV

This is one that I'll wait for some trusted reviews before plopping down cash for it...
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        (Connery Bond forcing himself on anything in a skirt, for instance).
        Dude!!!

Silvia Trench broke into his apartment and got naked.
        Mrs Somerset dreamed of sex all day.

Take off yer skirt and put on some pants, will ya?!?
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
          Terminator: Dark Fate (1st trailer)

https://slate.com/culture/2019/05/te...a-reboots.html
          So now a T ages and grows grey facial hair?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Most movies lose a bit of their shine in modern context
            I literally could not disagree more. This is exactly, exactly wrong.

One of the greatest values of older movies is they're a window onto a different mindset. They are one of the precious few chances we have to escape the bleak conformity of currentism. Even in reading old books we plow most of the sense under, rewriting it with the plodding sameness of our Weltanschauung. There is nothing more boring and soul-destroying than the anesthetic gas of our values and norms that surrounds us and is so unconscious and unexamined we're not even aware of it.

A contemporary director has to be a genius to actually look at the world differently than the universal brainwashing of the times. An archaic director only needs to have captured their own age succinctly. The irritation and the feeling of being akilter when viewing these movies can be generated by even a marginally decent film. Think of just how f-cking weird something like King Kong is to us. It's as far from the lowest common denomination of our culture as German Expressionism was from it. That's part of what makes it so interesting. It's anthropology.

It's important to remember that everything we think is just a phase. In 50 or 100 years people will view our artifacts and be offput by how weird and screwed up we seem compared to them -- not because they're better but just because the reroll of the cultural die has generated new seed values.

It is all just hemlines.
            Last edited by Kepler; 05-23-2019, 03:27 PM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              I will not CALM DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Heh...honestly wasnt even thinking about you cause for the most part you are level headed about movies unless you outright hate them like the Prequels

I have seen a bunch of those articles like the slate one about how "this movie proves the others sucked because...reasons?" Meanwhile they said the same things about all of the films as they came out for many of the same reasons.

Terminator and T2 are the gold standard...nothing will touch them but that doesnt mean the other films are bad no matter how much film school graduates want to pretend it does.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Heh...honestly wasnt even thinking about you cause for the most part you are level headed about movies unless you outright hate them like the Prequels

I have seen a bunch of those articles like the slate one about how "this movie proves the others sucked because...reasons?" Meanwhile they said the same things about all of the films as they came out for many of the same reasons.

Terminator and T2 are the gold standard...nothing will touch them but that doesnt mean the other films are bad no matter how much film school graduates want to pretend it does.
                T2 is in my top 10 for my greatest nights at the movies. Much like Aliens I had not seen the first one and knew nothing going in and I was awed. Aliens was slightly better but not by much.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

That's not entirely accurate. Film school grad will explains why T1 is great but T2 sucks. They are correct, but T2 is still fabulously entertaining in the way terrible movies can be. Marvel is a master of the "bad but who cares that''s GREAT!" movie. Post-1980 Disney is the emperor of the art.

The rest of the T canon after T2 is lousy, not for film school reasons, but because they're not entertaining. You make blockbuster summer dumb movies so people will have fun.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    I literally could not disagree more. This is exactly, exactly wrong.

One of the greatest values of older movies is they're a window onto a different mindset. They are one of the precious few chances we have to escape the bleak conformity of currentism. Even in reading old books we plow most of the sense under, rewriting it with the plodding sameness of our Weltanschauung. There is nothing more boring and soul-destroying than the anesthetic gas of our values and norms that surrounds us and is so unconscious and unexamined we're not even aware of it.

A contemporary director has to be a genius to actually look at the world differently than the universal brainwashing of the times. An archaic director only needs to have captured their own age succinctly. The irritation and the feeling of being akilter when viewing these movies can be generated by even a marginally decent film. Think of just how f-cking weird something like King Kong is to us. It's as far from the lowest common denomination of our culture as German Expressionism was from it. That's part of what makes it so interesting. It's anthropology.

It's important to remember that everything we think is just a phase. In 50 or 100 years people will view our artifacts and be offput by how weird and screwed up we seem compared to them -- not because they're better but just because the reroll of the cultural die has generated new seed values.

It is all just hemlines.
                    They are friggin movies...they are people being paid to pretend to be other people. Most of them serve almost no purpose other than to entertain. If you want your film studies degree so badly do what everyone else does and just send a check to USC along with a picture of you near a row boat

You have no idea how much joy it brings me when you speak like the Art History majors who make my coffee. You dont even realize you are doing it...yet here you are pontificating on the importance of films just like the slackers with noserings who made my latte when I lived in Seattle. All you need is to start peddling your script to every clown in Hollywood and you would be every actor I have ever met. You are turning into that which you mock...methinks doth protest too much Mr. Kepler
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      T2 is in my top 10 for my greatest nights at the movies. Much like Aliens I had not seen the first one and knew nothing going in and I was awed. Aliens was slightly better but not by much.
                      T1 > T2

Alien > Aliens

These facts are not under dispute. T2 and Aliens are fun movies. T1 and Alien are masterpieces and fun movies.

(Note: this is partly for film school grad reasons and partly because it is almost impossible to make a sequel be better than the original if the original is any good. There is nothing better than initially finding your way into a world; revisting that world will always be sloppy seconds.)

c.f. Star Wars 4 > 5, except both of those are just fun movies.

I can't really tell about Godfather. 1 > 2 but not by much. They both seem roughly the same to me, and both are sort of "half masterpieces." They definitely gave it a shot. They belong in the top 100. That they sometimes sneak into the top 10 is ludicrous. But they're trying to be more than just fun movies.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 05-23-2019, 03:39 PM.
                      Cornell University

Comment

T1 > T2

Alien > Aliens

These facts are not under dispute. T2 and Aliens are fun movies. T1 and Alien are masterpieces and fun movies.
                        T2 and Aliens are better than the originals. It's not even close.

Comment

That's not entirely accurate. Film school grad will explains why T1 is great but T2 sucks. They are correct, but T2 is still fabulously entertaining in the way terrible movies can be. Marvel is a master of the "bad but who cares that''s GREAT!" movie. Post-1980 Disney is the emperor of the art.

The rest of the T canon after T2 is lousy, not for film school reasons, but because they're not entertaining. You make blockbuster summer dumb movies so people will have fun.
                          Plenty of people find them entertaining. You and the bloggers from slate and vox dont...but life is bad when you have to post between making Macchiatos all the time

Terminator is a great movie but lets not pretend it holds more value than it does.

I do love when the Baristas...errr...Film School grads start telling us why everything old is better than new. It isnt cliche at all
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I can't really tell about Godfather. 1 > 2 but not by much. They both seem roughly the same to me, and both are sort of "half masterpieces." They definitely gave it a shot. They belong in the top 100. That they sometimes sneak into the top 10 is ludicrous. But they're trying to be more than just fun movies.
                            If I have to choose, I'd say 1 > 2, but both are great. Honestly, a better ranking would be Young Vito > Old Vito and Young Michael > Older Michael. 1 being all at the same time maybe makes it smoother than 2 which jumps between the two.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

T1 > T2

Alien > Aliens

(Note: this is partly for film school grad reasons and partly because it is almost impossible to make a sequel be better than the original if the original is any good. There is nothing better than initially finding your way into a world; revisting that world will always be sloppy seconds.)

c.f. Star Wars 4 > 5, except both of those are just fun movies.

T2 = T1

Cant compare Alien and Aliens because by design they are different films.

The "facts" (your use of that is Trump-esque on this topic ) are definitely in dispute because plenty of people dispute them...by definition that puts them in dispute.

Your opiniuon of the Godfather pretty much nullifies your entire opinion anyways.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                                If I have to choose, I'd say 1 > 2, but both are great. Honestly, a better ranking would be Young Vito > Old Vito and Young Michael > Older Michael. 1 being all at the same time maybe makes it smoother than 2 which jumps between the two.
                                That is tough...I mean all the performances of those characters are great in their own way.

I always wanted to watch the cut where they do it in chronological order (The Godfather Saga I think is the name of it) because I bet that would make the performances even better.

Hey Kep is my exresso ready? Dont burn the sandwich this time though you can post to Jezebel later. And no I wont read your latest treatment
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X