X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    I honestly thought they put the explanation of each character at the end, only to try and save the audience from gouging their eyes out. As in, "ohhhhhhhhhh THIS is what they were doing, I get it now!" Yeah, didn't work. We got it, but you failed on the execution.
    I never understood why Meyer's work gets the appreciation it does. It all seems like the same trash gag to me. It's not funny like Waters, not charming like Wood, it's just gross. I really want to like Meyer -- he gave the world a middle finger and not in a cutesy way but a malevolent "no dude I'm not kidding" way and I am constitutionally primed to respect that -- but everything I've seen of his has been boring and a mess and just not worth watching.

From what I understand about him he'd say, "yeah... but you bought it!" Which... fair enough.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Holy moly. Hedges has been in a pretty great stretch of movies.

Moonrise Kingdom
      Grand Budapest
      Manchester by the Sea
      Lady Bird
      Three Billboards
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        I never understood why Meyer's work gets the appreciation it does. It all seems like the same trash gag to me. It's not funny like Waters, not charming like Wood, it's just gross. I really want to like Meyer -- he gave the world a middle finger and not in a cutesy way but a malevolent "no dude I'm not kidding" way and I am constitutionally primed to respect that -- but everything I've seen of his has been boring and a mess and just not worth watching.

From what I understand about him he'd say, "yeah... but you bought it!" Which... fair enough.
        That's exactly it.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

https://youtu.be/kue18AxK1tU

Wow!

Please god don’t let them **** over Tesla. Tell the truth Tesla>that pos Edison.
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

Wow!

Please god don’t let them **** over Tesla. Tell the truth Tesla>that pos Edison.
            Until watching that and then some Googling, I never realized Westinghouse was also involved, and used Tesla's inventions. I had always heard it as Edison vs Tesla, but Jesus was it messier than that.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

Wow!

Tesla probably wasn't the saint we were all told he was, but you know the rules. "When the legend becomes truth..."

I'm glad Cumberbund gets that role.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

He was electromagnetic, completely kinetic,
                "New Wizard of the West"
                But they swindled and whined that he wasn't our kind,
                And said Edison knew best

Tesla was smarter than Edison, but you have to admit his renaissance has been a bit hagiographic.

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  Until watching that and then some Googling, I never realized Westinghouse was also involved, and used Tesla's inventions. I had always heard it as Edison vs Tesla, but Jesus was it messier than that.
                  Yes, and JPMorgan funded Tesla until he ran out of patience. Hey bud! Free electricity is going to take a long time to perfect. Especially when your lab burns to the ground and you lose so much of what you’re worked on!

I know Tesla has had a Renaissance in media and has become cult like but he died penniless and I don’t Recall his name being brought up for more than 2 seconds in school. I’m ride or die on the Tesla train😀

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    The History Channel dove into that in "Men Who Built America". Twas fascinating.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      The History Channel dove into that in "Men Who Built America". Twas fascinating.
                      That series was a laughable hagiography of the entrepreneur myth. It's as if the Kos brothers wrote it.

Too bad, too, because the graphical art was wonderful.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        Yes, and JPMorgan funded Tesla until he ran out of patience. Hey bud! Free electricity is going to take a long time to perfect. Especially when your lab burns to the ground and you lose so much of what you’re worked on!

I know Tesla has had a Renaissance in media and has become cult like but he died penniless and I don’t Recall his name being brought up for more than 2 seconds in school. I’m ride or die on the Tesla train😀
                        I can't remember what I watched on the rivalry, but Tesla was all imagination and could relay it verbally, but money ran out. Edison displayed what he could do, on paper, and prove it. Two different methods of developing something.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          I really enjoyed that series.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Us:

Every try and fit 30 lbs of sh* into a 10 lb bag? That's this movie. Now, I'll be fair, it was 10 lbs of good stuff with 20 lbs of sh*, same concept, though. Tried to do too much with this movie in the matter of actual story and themes. Went 3-4 different ways, depending what part of the movie you were watching (I can't even limit it to acts; it got as far as singular scenes).

I cannot say I hated it, as I enjoyed the premise and the idea of the underlying themes...it was just too much to try and fit into one movie and it failed.

Comment

My wife and saw Yesterday, well, yesterday. If you're a Beatles fan, you're likely to enjoy it. If you're not a fan, but like their most popular music, you might enjoy it. Kepler will hate it.

There are a number of covers done, at least in part, throughout the movie. I enjoyed their take on Please, Help Me! as it fit the context of the story greatly in how they arranged it.

In short, there's a global event where all power goes out for all devices, regardless of being battery operated or plugged into the wall. Power comes back a few seconds later, but a few things are different. Specific to the main storyline, The Beatles were never a thing except that our protagonist remembers them and turns their old songs into his good fortune. And the story goes on from there with the standard ups and downs.

It's formulaic, sure, but it's well executed within the formula. Jokes are setup right, the drama and character crises were built in a good fashion, and the supporting characters were designed in a way to help along the story without becoming the story. Even Ed Sheeran did okay.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Watched The Outsiders this weekend for the first time in about 15 years. Still a **** good movie.

If anyone had attempted to assemble the same cast just 5 years later they would have needed A fortune to fund bringing all that talent in.

Comment

Working...
                                X