X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Godzilla: King of the Monsters:

B+/A- For everyone that was complaining about a lack of Godzilla screen time in the 2014 movie, they listened... If you want your monsters fighting and destroying cities, this is your flick. Acting isn't going to win an Oscar, but it gets the story over. Also, I saw this on a regular screen. I think that if you saw this in IMAX, you probably get a little better experience. The effects and cinematography are top notch. Sit back, munch your popcorn, and forget your life for 2 hours
    I graded it a bit tougher. B/B+ and ONLY because the middle part was so ****ed slow. The movie tried way too hard to be a "real film" for way too long and it kind of dragged. The last half hour or so though was pure awesomeness and if that was the majority of the movie it would have gotten an A easy from me. I saw it in standard though maybe I will check it out in IMAX next week.

Note: I really liked the movie (and the sequel next year with Kong is going to be epic!) I just think they tried too hard. It is worth seeing though just for Bradley Whitford's reactions to everything and Godzilla going Super Saiyan When he shows up for the final showdown with King Ghidorah (best line ever "did she say his name was Gonorrhea?") with the military and they meet and destroy half of Boston...just pure greatness! This was way better than the last film.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      I graded it a bit tougher. B/B+ and ONLY because the middle part was so ****ed slow. The movie tried way too hard to be a "real film" for way too long and it kind of dragged. The last half hour or so though was pure awesomeness and if that was the majority of the movie it would have gotten an A easy from me. I saw it in standard though maybe I will check it out in IMAX next week.

Note: I really liked the movie (and the sequel next year with Kong is going to be epic!) I just think they tried too hard. It is worth seeing though just for Bradley Whitford's reactions to everything and Godzilla going Super Saiyan When he shows up for the final showdown with King Ghidorah (best line ever "did she say his name was Gonorrhea?") with the military and they meet and destroy half of Boston...just pure greatness! This was way better than the last film.
      Question on that last fight in Boston:

Am I looking too much into it by thinking that using Fenway was a "Tonge-in-cheek" nod to the Matt Broderick Godzilla using MSG? Not that it had any outcome on the plot, but I just can't believe that was a coincidence **shrugs**
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Am I looking too much into it by thinking that using Fenway was a "Tonge-in-cheek" nod to the Matt Broderick Godzilla using MSG? Not that it had any outcome on the plot, but I just can't believe that was a coincidence **shrugs**
        Green monster reference?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

I doubt that is the case but that is a rather funny coincidence. Most likely it is either sponsor driven (they made sure to show plenty of those ads on the walls in Fenway) of French Rage is correct and it is just a nod to the Green Monster.

The credits sequence where they showed all the articles updating on the Titans was cool as heck. I didnt see the end credits scene but read what it is which kind of sounds like it spoils part of the story for Godzilla vs. King Kong but who cares no one will be seeing that film because of the plot
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            If you've only seen Pattinson in the Twilight movies (or as Cedric Diggory) you should educate yourself before commenting. He's done some incredible work since then.
            The jokes about how he’s the worst vampire ever since it took him over a decade to turn into a bat are actually almost funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
              The jokes about how he’s the worst vampire ever since it took him over a decade to turn into a bat are actually almost funny.
              That is pretty good
              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                HA! The progression from vampire to bat is exactly what I thought of when I first heard it.

Never seen Pattinson in anything that I remember, so I'll be interested to see how this turns out.
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Rocketman.

Good movie. Great lead performance. Loved how they weaved a musical throughout the film.

All the stories have been done before though. Pretty hard to change your life but there's nothing about Elton John's life that's unique or particularly interesting.

Still, an enjoyable time at the movies.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

All this talk of Rocketman, has the 1997 Disney dud staring Harland Williams had a dramatic comeback?
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Yeesh Godzilla not having a good run at the BO if projections hold. Looks like next year Kong will win
                      Last edited by Handyman; 06-02-2019, 11:37 AM.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                        All this talk of Rocketman, has the 1997 Disney dud staring Harland Williams had a dramatic comeback?
                        I love that film!

"Wasnt me!"
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

It's Pride month:

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
                          To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar.
                          The Birdcage (would love to see the original, La Cage Aux Folles)
                          But I'm A Cheerleader
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                            It's Pride month:

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
                            To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar.
                            The Birdcage (would love to see the original, La Cage Aux Folles)
                            But I'm A Cheerleader
                            4x4, all great (as long as you see Cage aux Folles.* The Birdcage means well, and Popeye Doyle is great, but otherwise it's a pale imitation.

My gay 9th grade French teacher took us all into the city (i.e., NYC. The only city.) to see it. That was probably the first gay-inclusive experience I ever had, because we met his surreptitious "friend." Our teacher was a great guy albeit a terror in class -- just hearing "la subjonctif" still frightens me.

Anyway, here's to you, Mel Kerman. Small acts of courage defeat the Great Ignorance. I hope every grandchild of every phobe has somebody like you in their life to prove the utter vacuity of their hatred.

* Also, see The Dinner Game instead of Dinner for Schmucks. 100x times better in exactly the same way.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 06-02-2019, 03:07 PM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              4x4, all great (as long as you see Cage aux Folles.* The Birdcage means well, and Popeye Doyle is great, but otherwise it's a pale imitation.

My gay 9th grade French teacher took us all into the city (i.e., NYC. The only city.) to see it. That was probably the first gay-inclusive experience I ever had, because we met his surreptitious "friend." Our teacher was a great guy albeit a terror in class -- just hearing "la subjonctif" still frightens me.

Anyway, here's to you, Mel Kerman. Small acts of courage defeat the Great Ignorance. I hope every grandchild of every phobe has somebody like you in their life to prove the utter vacuity of their hatred.

* Also, see The Dinner Game instead of Dinner for Schmucks. 100x times better in exactly the same way.
                              I feel that by going out in public and being visible, I just make Fundies uncomfortable. As a trans woman, I learned that if I'm not ****ing someone off, I'm not doing it right.
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Gozilla had a few too many stupid decisions being made by the Conjuring woman to feel really good about the movie. It was fun but what a mood killer her character was. I understand what they were going for, but even the evil, evil antagonist wasn't really that evil?

Comment

Working...
                                X